Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

back movement?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

dollcaster

back movement?

Post by dollcaster »

I've got a question regarding the spine on realdolls. I got my realdoll used so she is of unknown vintage (but has the velcro face attachment) and I can't find anything on the range of motion for the joints. Does the back (spine area) bend at all or is it just at the hips? If so where, in what directions and about how much can she bend? Most of this doll's joints are pretty stiff so I've been hesitant to move them much for fear of breakage. Can anyone let me know as to whether or not I should try to move her back at all? She'd be much more photogenic if that were possible. Thanks for the info!

Christine
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: back movement?

Post by Christine »

Well

Use your common sence when using your doll,

If you think you are putting to much stress on her then you probly are and she will break!!!

We had a guy in here not to long ago who did just that and broke his doll.

Just be carefull

phillip57
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by phillip57 »

The RD1 has a rigid spine. The pelvis has a joint that is supposed to enable it to be moved forward and back a bit. However, I have been unable to move Gabrielle's pelvis. Then, she is stiff all over, excepting her hip joints.... she can throw her legs in the air just fine!

Zarnon
Former Member

Post by Zarnon »

This is something that's aggravated me about Abyss since I've been buying their dolls.

Why can't they get consistent torque in their joints?

My B2 had some joints so tight I literally had to put all my weight on them to move them (neck joint). It freaked me out but it was only after I called Abyss and spoke to their engineer that I was told I might have to do that to move her neck back. Ditto for the forearms. You can barely rotate (supinate/pronate) without using all your power to turn them. Then there's others (like wrists) which become floppy in a few months.

It confounds the fug out of me why such a beautiful doll would have continual problems in this area.

Qualifier: I haven't bought a new RD since 2008 so not sure of any improvements in this area.
Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

phillip57
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by phillip57 »

I couldn't say how much overall improvement in joint torque consistency there has been. Gabe is From July 2009. I had to tighten her neck bolts in the first month. Her arms were so stiff, I was afraid they'd lock up. Her wrists have been fine, I'm happy to say.
Attachments
IMG_3625.jpg
IMG_3625.jpg (247.96 KiB) Viewed 1849 times

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Zarnon wrote:This is something that's aggravated me about Abyss since I've been buying their dolls.

My B2 had some joints so tight I literally had to put all my weight on them to move them (neck joint). It freaked me out but it was only after I called Abyss and spoke to their engineer that I was told I might have to do that to move her neck back. Ditto for the forearms. You can barely rotate (supinate/pronate) without using all your power to turn them. Then there's others (like wrists) which become floppy in a few months.

It confounds the fug out of me why such a beautiful doll would have continual problems in this area.

Qualifier: I haven't bought a new RD since 2008 so not sure of any improvements in this area.
That's because sculpters are not engineers, they use the other half of the brain. :mrgreen:

It's why my photos don't have the beauty of Stacy's: Different side of the brain!
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Strangelove65

Post by Strangelove65 »

"This is something that's aggravated me about Abyss since I've been buying their dolls.

Qualifier: I haven't bought a new RD since 2008 so not sure of any improvements in this area."

Zarnon, I think this is a case of Abyss not having a verified engineering procedure for consistent torquing of skeleton bolts - I wonder if anyone there has heard of a torque wrench..... Also, there is a basic problem with any bolted joint that is subject to motion: bolts are great at holding together assembled parts AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT MOVE. The problem is that moving the joints works at the bolts and WILL eventually loosen them, as moving the parts overcomes the friction holding the bolts tight. The ONLY way you can prevent this is to prevent the bolt from turning and thus loosening. This is in fact possible and CHEAP to do. I sent both Abyss and Lovable Dolls information on keeping the bolts tight and a list of hardware that would do the trick. The cost per doll was at most $5-6 for the hardware. I don't remember hearing anything from Abyss, though they did thank me for the email I sent. But I don't know if they are using this, or any other idea to maintain bolt torque. I did get a nice note back from Matt K. and Bronwen stating that they were looking at ways to stabilize LD joints, and that they'd look at what I sent them. The reason RD joints are so tight is that they have to overtighten the bolts to keep the joints from loosening right away. As was mentioned, I don't know at all if the RD2s use a different system, but over-tight joints increase the strain on skeleton parts and can lead to broken "bones". As it happens, the information I sent was intended to improve RD joints, with their interleaved design. I know that LD and now Sinthetics seem to have fewer problems with premature joint loosening. Beyond that, I am an interested amateur...... :whistle:
"Whoever loves the labor of his trade, apart from any measure of fame or fortune, him the gods have called." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ekkehard

Post by Ekkehard »

Hi, dollcaster,

may be RD's offer the possibility to move the back. Last year I had to repair a broken spine tube (look at Realdoll care and repair). It's better to make the spine screw very tight, otherwise you get an ugly stomach pleat. This ugly stomach pleat will stay.

Ekkehard

sanpedro
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by sanpedro »

My 2009 RD1 has a joint in either the lower back, or upper pelvis (take your pick). It allows the upper torso to rotate left to right relative to the hips. It's also hinged to allow a foreward to backward lean, but I didn't discover this for a while because it was bolted up pretty tight when she was new. If I want her to curve her back and stick her butt out in an alluring way, I'll place her in a seated position and lean her torso foreward. Then I'll stick an elbow or a knee in her lower back, and pull her shoulders back with a fair amount of force.

I think this is the "back joint" that some have had replaced with a hime. From this joint to the shoulders is one solid piece.

INFORMATIONS