Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

UK custom-importing a realdoll

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

rentell
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by rentell »

Hi everyone from a 1st poster.Has to be said, Happy New Year to you all.
After reading the forum for over ayear now and getting lots of very useful info, the time has come to seriuosly think about ordering a readoll. As always theres more questions, these mainly directed @ UK owners.Can anyone relate there experiances on importing into the UK, things like shipping, cost, and the HM. Customs procedures? Thanks all Rentell.

steveb

Post by steveb »

Hi Rentell

I have just ordered last Nov and I e-mailed Abyss with my home town, they then gave me an all in price inc shipping and insurance. Hope customs don't want anything, it's bad enough if you bring duty free back from Calais.

Steve

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

The only problem I had when Rebecca came over was the Heathrow-based import agents (or whatever the term is) were mildly incompetent in that they claimed to have lost both my phone number and email address. This caused a day or two's delay in me getting my doll. Other than that, they deal with customs so you don't have to bother. As I recall, their fee is included in the overses shipping price charged by Abyss (see the order form).

The only extra I had to pay was a small amount of import duty (I can't recall the figure, but is was insignificant compared to the total). What was sigbnificant, and surprising to me, was being charged VAT (at 17.5 percent). (But they don't have VAT in the USA! Even so, you get charged VAT on imports...)

TheEvolutionaryScientist

Post by TheEvolutionaryScientist »

Everhard, do you mean Abyss included VAT in the price or customs asked for it later?

dacrow

Post by dacrow »

hi there im in the UK... what company did u use?.. and did they look in the box when it landed in the UK ?..

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

VAT is charged by HM Customs, not by Abyss. Therefore the price charged by Abyss does NOT include VAT (or import duty) -- assuming nothing significant in this regard has changed since October 2000. The import agent deals with VAT and import duty -- you just get the bill. Rebecca's crate showed no sign of being opened by customs (or anyone else). I assume if customs wanted to check for drugs, explosives, nuclear materials or weapons, they could X-ray it or use other means. And if they did open it, all they would find inside is a life-size doll. So there's no problem. It isn't illegal to import such works of art into the UK.

As far as I am aware it makes no difference what use you put it to when you get it, so I cannot see how that affects the amount of import duty you pay, except perhaps if you are prepared to pretend it is solely for business use. (I could be wrong of course, British law originating in religion-inspired dark age laws.)

I cannot recall the name of the import agent (I could look it up but I don't think it worthwhile). The import agent is appointed by Abyss, who are extremely professional and experienced in arranging shipping of their dolls world-wide. In September-October 2000 there were a lot of scare stories on the net about dolls arriving smashed to bits. (It must happen once in a while, but I am assured that Abyss has insurance for this.) So I was a nervous wreck when the van turned up with a guy wondering how we were going to get the crate up the stairs to my room. (With difficulty.)

However, when I opened the crate (unscrewing the door and tearing the shipping seal applied in the USA) I found that Rebecca had arrived at my home on the south coast of England in perfect -- perfect! -- condition.

TheEvolutionaryScientist

Thanks for the reply Everhard. Being in Scotland with money saving up (oh so slowly!), I'm still a bit confused (shocked perhaps) because VAT on £4500 is £787.50 which is a lot, and you didn't seem too fussed in your message. But reading again, that's what you said. When I get records from the US I get charged VAT when they check, but sometimes they don't (Argh!) So we must be prepared. (Too much money! - Lottery!?)

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

Mikey57: There I go again; assuming that everyone else's experience must be much the same as mine. (When will I ever learn?) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

Evolutionary Scientist: Let me tell you, being charged VAT was a bummer. I hadn't budgeted for it and it wiped me out financially when I was unemployed. In the first days after Rebecca arrived I lay awake considering putting her up for sale (I would have undoubtedly lost thousands of pounds in doing so) just to prevent going overdrawn at the bank.

Tht will teach me to be more careful in future.

Anyway, what happened was, out of the blue, the employer that fired me earlier that year sent me a cheque for 150 GBP, which solved the problem. Sometimes life feels to me like hanging onto a cliff face by my fingernails.

I have a job now (as a technical author), which although it pays much less than the nationl average wage, keeps Rebecca in clothes and my SLR camera loaded with film.

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

And before I forget, you should consider insuring your doll under home contents insurance. HSBC insure my `sculpture by Matt McMullen' for her full replacement value at no increase on my home contents premium. (That's what I call value for money.)

Like your home burning down, the risk is small, but it is there. Professor Sakai had several dolls stolen when he was away from home.

TheEvolutionaryScientist

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everhard:
<STRONG>Evolutionary Scientist: Let me tell you, being charged VAT was a bummer.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Everhard, I really feel for you man.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
<STRONG>Anyway, what happened was, out of the blue, the employer that fired me earlier that year sent me a cheque for 150 GBP, which solved the problem.</STRONG>
Just shows you things happen in mysterious ways!
I think you can be happy that's things seemed to have worked out nicely. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Being young I look forward to a fun time with a doll in the future...hopefully with some cool girl. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

steveb

Post by steveb »

Hi guys

My doll Samantha is due mid Mar and looks like I'll have to find another £700 odd. Everhard how did customs let you pay and who sent the bill customs or shipping agent?
I'm glad you got some breaks, I'm self employed so I hope business is good this month to pay this off.

INFORMATIONS