Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

RD hip and thigh joint tightness?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

LatexLadyLover

RD hip and thigh joint tightness?

Post by LatexLadyLover »

I have a 2004 or 05 B-7.Are the thighs supposed to "stay" the way you pose them or just flop down due to the heavy weight.Are mine loose? They just flop down.How hard is it to tighten the thigh joint? Pics of a RD skeleton would help me.Thanks

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: RD hip and thigh joint tightness?

Post by Dollarhyde »

It depends upon how much movement the joint has had in the past... I know the joints on my girls stayed pretty tight but then again I did not move them around a lot... more then likely your going to have to do a bit of surgery which is going to require you to make an incision.

You might want to send an email directly to Joe at Abyss to get the actual diagram or instructions.

Good luck... :glou:
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

In my experience, Realdoll legs won't defy gravity.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

Anassilao
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Anassilao »

Hi,
In my experience with realdolls, I have changed a broken hip joint on my RD2.
As you know surely, doll's joints loosen with time.

But there are some cases that require attention.
If you move a tigh upwards, and tigh flops down, it could be a problem with hip rotator joint.
Your RD may be has a little different skeleton than my RD2, but, in general, hip joint has a different design, but structure is the same.
Hip joint is made with a semisphere of hard plastic screwed to pelvis. Inside this semisphere there is the proper hip joint, that rotate on his axis to move the hip.
Hip joint, as all rd joint, has a plastic carter, but inside part, the mechanical part, is all in metal (I suppose aluminium or steel).
The movement downward and upward is proper of this rotator, and in hip joint there no are screws to adjust this movement.

When hip joint works properly, you move upwards a tigh and tigh must be remain in position.
Once you has move upward a tigh, tighs can be move also downward, due to weight of all leg, but very slowly, should not collapse, as you say.

In my opinion, if a tigh flops down, the rotator axis of hip joint could be damnaged, or could be a too great backlash, and, therefore, does not work properly.
Could be necessary replace all hip joint.

As others said you, this problem may depend on movements that your dolls did in past.
Indeed a joint works properly when doll is new, but some wrongs movements can stress joint, day by day.
In my case, I must replaced hip joint due to wrong doggystyle :whistle:
I remember that, before the broke, joint had become too lose, it had a great backlash.

I suggest you to contact Abyss team before to try a surgery.
They are very polite and professional and they will solve problem of your doll.

Keep us informed.
:)

Mechwizard
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mechwizard »

Joints will become loose over time, its what they do. To tighten the joint will involve cutting into the doll which will need silicone repair. To tighten the joint so that it will hold the weight of the leg on its own will create stress in other parts of the doll as you move the problem somewhere else. You could cause the upper thigh bone, which is PVC pipe, to crack out where the hip flexor is attached. However much more likely in a doll of your age group is that the hip shaft will snap where is slides into the hip joint at the pelvis. That you actually haven't broken a hip yet is amazing. If you want my advice, don't tempt fate, leave the joints as they are, and enjoy her company as she is.
Mechwizard
Consort to the Queen of Curves
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10796

Dreamscape
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Dreamscape »

Dollarhyde wrote:... more then likely your going to have to do a bit of surgery which is going to require you to make an incision.
How large a cut needs to be made and where? Also, what kind of cutting implement(s) would you suggest using? I imagine a carpet cutter would suffice for the silicone. But what do you use once you're through the exterior "skin" layers? To saw through the "skeleton" you'd likely need something like a Dremel power tool. As for the fix, I know duct tape solves a lot of issues as does Gorilla Glue. However, just the thought of starting such a "surgery" and not being able to properly finish it is terrifying. Not to mention, with these kinds of jobs you always end up with parts left over that you aren't sure where they came from. That in itself is anxiety inducing.

Fox_and_the_Wolf
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Fox_and_the_Wolf »

Truthfully, imo, as far as my preference for a doll, I'd prefer her joints to be a little on the loose side. But then again, I can see the problems that would be caused from looser joints as well.... idk, are loose joints necessarily a bad thing in most cases? Or if you take extra care of your doll, then would loosened joints not be as big an issue?

INFORMATIONS