Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Abyss Magnet Face Price Increases

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

catnap

Abyss Magnet Face Price Increases

Post by catnap »

Does anyone know when Abyss raised the prices on the Real Doll Magnet Faces? I've been saving since Christmas to buy a couple of them, just went to order, and saw the price had increased by more than $400 per face.

Oh well, I guess it's going to be a longer wait than I anticipated! :lol:

manobon
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Abyss Magnet Face Price Increases

Post by manobon »

Yeah, Yikes - and the deluxe torsos start at $2999 instead of $2499 now (with the head)

Maybe the heads have Harmony AI ready features now? Or it would be for off-setting any investment for all the new products/research

catnap

Post by catnap »

manobon wrote:Yeah, Yikes - and the deluxe torsos start at $2999 instead of $2499 now (with the head)

Maybe the heads have Harmony AI ready features now? Or it would be for off-setting any investment for all the new products/research
For a second, I thought it was just me. :)

I mean, you could expect a 5% increase or something, but... seriously? 8O 8O 8O

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

That price does not sound right as the magnet faces have been 550.00 up until recently as I just got a new Stephanie face during the last sale and she was delivered in early February. Only if you added the skull at 449.00 to make it a kit would the price be 999.00. Now the site is showing the magnetic faces at 999.00 and to make it a kit, you add 200.00 for 1199.00 total and that is not right! That would mean an increase of 449.00 just for a magnet face and is just about double the cost, holy crap! I could see an increase of 49.00 to make them 599.00 like they did before but, not 449.00 to make them 999.00, That's out of reach for most everyone! :(

I am going to need a new magnet face for another doll body that I just got at a good price that needs some repairs and I will not spend that much for a face as there is NO justification for that kind of an increase! The faces were either 449.00 or 499.00 a couple of years ago and went up to 550.00 and that can be understood but to all but double the price is NOT understandable at all. The materials are not that much to make a face even with the artist's labor added in so it does not make any sense, I mean it is just a mask type face, NOT a solid silicone head. I will hope that I can find a nice pre-owned fair skin magnet face that I like for the doll body I just got as I cannot justify 999.00 plus 75.00 to have it shipped. :(

I am going to send an email to Annette and ask her if that price is for real and if it is, I guarantee there will be a drop off in faces ordered as most no one will spend that kind of money just for a magnet face! I know that I will not spend that much and I spent a lot of money at Abyss over the last 4 years.

I will post back on this topic when I get an answer from Abyss sales and I hope that there was a mistake in the way the site was set up for prices.

EDIT: Was just on the site and discovered another thing. For the longest time the replacement inserts were 100.00 and then went to 150.00 and have been that price for some time now. I just looked and the price for an insert just doubled to 299.00 each and I am IN SHOCK! 8O A new oral insert is now 349.00 instead of 199.00 as they were! That is an additional 149.00 upcharge for each insert when you need one. Price increases like this is going to KILL sales for them as no one will be able to afford to buy accessories for their dolls, including me! :(

catnap

Post by catnap »

dodgeman wrote:That price does not sound right as the magnet faces have been 550.00 up until recently as I just got a new Stephanie face during the last sale and she was delivered in early February. Only if you added the skull at 449.00 to make it a kit would the price be 999.00. Now the site is showing the magnetic faces at 999.00 and to make it a kit, you add 200.00 for 1199.00 total and that is not right! That would mean an increase of 449.00 just for a magnet face and is just about double the cost, holy crap! I could see an increase of 49.00 to make them 599.00 like they did before but, not 449.00 to make them 999.00, That's out of reach for most everyone! :(

I am going to need a new magnet face for another doll body that I just got at a good price that needs some repairs and I will not spend that much for a face as there is NO justification for that kind of an increase! The faces were either 449.00 or 499.00 a couple of years ago and went up to 550.00 and that can be understood but to all but double the price is NOT understandable at all. The materials are not that much to make a face even with the artist's labor added in so it does not make any sense, I mean it is just a mask type face, NOT a solid silicone head. I will hope that I can find a nice pre-owned fair skin magnet face that I like for the doll body I just got as I cannot justify 999.00 plus 75.00 to have it shipped. :(

I am going to send an email to Annette and ask her if that price is for real and if it is, I guarantee there will be a drop off in faces ordered as most no one will spend that kind of money just for a magnet face! I know that I will not spend that much and I spent a lot of money at Abyss over the last 4 years.

I will post back on this topic when I get an answer from Abyss sales and I hope that there was a mistake in the way the site was set up for prices.

EDIT: Was just on the site and discovered another thing. For the longest time the replacement inserts were 100.00 and then went to 150.00 and have been that price for some time now. I just looked and the price for an insert just doubled to 299.00 each and I am IN SHOCK! 8O A new oral insert is now 349.00 instead of 199.00 as they were! Price increases like this is going to KILL sales for them as no one will be able to afford to buy accessories for their dolls, including me! :(
Dodgeman -

Good to meet you!

I'm sorry my first ever post here had to be as the bearer of bad news. I had been saving happily for the past few months in order to buy a couple of magnet faces, and was just shocked by how much the price had gone up. I had saved for two faces, and could now only afford one.

So, I bought none. Like I said, you expect reasonable price increases, although these days the price of a lot of stuff is actually falling with the stronger dollar.

I *think* I was quoted $125 for shipping one face, too, not $75. I may be wrong, but that's what I remember.

I think the price increases may really be a new policy since they are appearing on faces, torsos, and now inserts too. I only knew about the faces. I saw the new price and promptly left, thinking exactly what you just wrote - I can't afford this hobby anymore. Not without a big payday, anyhow!

I hope I'm wrong, but I think they may actually be trying to create more of a market for the new AI products by herding customers away from the older RD lines, and the products like additional faces.

In a certain way, that would make sense because they may believe that the direction of the company is AI, and if you aren't buying AI, you aren't really a desirable customer? If they feel that is the only way to grow the company, that could be a way to dissuade us from buying lines they no longer want to push?

Anyway, it worked with me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

catnap wrote:
dodgeman wrote:That price does not sound right as the magnet faces have been 550.00 up until recently as I just got a new Stephanie face during the last sale and she was delivered in early February. Only if you added the skull at 449.00 to make it a kit would the price be 999.00. Now the site is showing the magnetic faces at 999.00 and to make it a kit, you add 200.00 for 1199.00 total and that is not right! That would mean an increase of 449.00 just for a magnet face and is just about double the cost, holy crap! I could see an increase of 49.00 to make them 599.00 like they did before but, not 449.00 to make them 999.00, That's out of reach for most everyone! :(

EDIT: Was just on the site and discovered another thing. For the longest time the replacement inserts were 100.00 and then went to 150.00 and have been that price for some time now. I just looked and the price for an insert just doubled to 299.00 each and I am IN SHOCK! 8O A new oral insert is now 349.00 instead of 199.00 as they were! Price increases like this is going to KILL sales for them as no one will be able to afford to buy accessories for their dolls, including me! :(
Dodgeman -

Good to meet you!

I'm sorry my first ever post here had to be as the bearer of bad news. I had been saving happily for the past few months in order to buy a couple of magnet faces, and was just shocked by how much the price had gone up. I had saved for two faces, and could now only afford one.

So, I bought none. Like I said, you expect reasonable price increases, although these days the price of a lot of stuff is actually falling with the stronger dollar.

I *think* I was quoted $125 for shipping one face, too, not $75. I may be wrong, but that's what I remember.

I think the price increases may really be a new policy since they are appearing on faces, torsos, and now inserts too. I only knew about the faces. I saw the new price and promptly left, thinking exactly what you just wrote - I can't afford this hobby anymore. Not without a big payday, anyhow!

I hope I'm wrong, but I think they may actually be trying to create more of a market for the new AI products by herding customers away from the older RD lines, and the products like additional faces.

In a certain way, that would make sense because they may believe that the direction of the company is AI, and if you aren't buying AI, you aren't really a desirable customer? If they feel that is the only way to grow the company, that could be a way to dissuade us from buying lines they no longer want to push?

Anyway, it worked with me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hello there catnap,

That new shipping price is up from what it was unless you are further away than I am in PA. In my opinion, I really don't think that Abyss is trying to push anyone away from standard faces magnet or full head styles in favor of the AI that will be available in due time. I have talked with a few members here and many of us are not interested in the AI concept for the dolls and so to push a customer away by raising prices on traditional heads and faces and very necessary items like inserts would not be a good policy. Like I said, I really don't believe they would try and push a customer away in favor of some new technology.

There is something going on though to be sure as the price increases are out of line all the way and unaffordable, Not justifiable. These are Mask type faces, NOT full silicone heads and nothing can justify the massive upcharge right out of the blue.

I sent an email to Annette with my concerns and to explain a few things about customers that are not going to go for it including me and I told her about this thread. Doing what they are doing at the moment is not good for attracting repeat business and I explained that in some ways in my email. People are having a hard time as it is to justify spending so much for dolls initially as it is and to just hammer a person financially for a new face or insert is going to be hard to do as it takes a LONG time for people to save doll money to spend. Many people have gone to TPE because of this and will continue to do so if this kind of thing continues.

I hope that there is a GOOD explanation for this issue but, I am sure that it will not hold water with me and MANY others as we are already seeing that with the thread that you posted. The increase is WAY out of line and nearly double for the faces, double for vaginal inserts and about a 75% increase for oral inserts. We will have to wait and see what answers we get on this! :thumbs_up:

catnap

Post by catnap »

dodgeman wrote:Hello there catnap,

That new shipping price is up from what it was unless you are further away than I am in PA. In my opinion, I really don't think that Abyss is trying to push anyone away from standard faces magnet or full head styles in favor of the AI that will be available in due time. I have talked with a few members here and many of us are not interested in the AI concept for the dolls and so to push a customer away by raising prices on traditional heads and faces and very necessary items like inserts would not be a good policy. Like I said, I really don't believe they would try and push a customer away in favor of some new technology.

There is something going on though to be sure as the price increases are out of line all the way and unaffordable, Not justifiable. These are Mask type faces, NOT full silicone heads and nothing can justify the massive upcharge right out of the blue.

I sent an email to Annette with my concerns and to explain a few things about customers that are not going to go for it including me and I told her about this thread. Doing what they are doing at the moment is not good for attracting repeat business and I explained that in some ways in my email. People are having a hard time as it is to justify spending so much for dolls initially as it is and to just hammer a person financially for a new face or insert is going to be hard to do as it takes a LONG time for people to save doll money to spend. Many people have gone to TPE because of this and will continue to do so if this kind of thing continues.

I hope that there is a GOOD explanation for this issue but, I am sure that it will not hold water with me and MANY others as we are already seeing that with the thread that you posted. The increase is WAY out of line and nearly double for the faces, double for vaginal inserts and about a 75% increase for oral inserts. We will have to wait and see what answers we get on this! :thumbs_up:
Dodgeman - I hope you are right and maybe it is some sort of mistake. It would be great if it turned out to be a big snafu.

But, I used to run my own business, and that was the basis for my thoughts on the increases. When we no longer wanted to support something, we raised the prices. But we always told our existing customers the story beforehand - it just was hurting our sustainability to keep certain products in stock, and we couldn't do it at the price points we'd been using. We also gave the existing customers a discounted day on the old lines before making any increases so they could stock up - and help us clear the old stuff out all at once! :D

The price increase theory is the same one used with cigarette taxes, liquor taxes, and carbon taxes. If you raise the price of heating oil, people either pay up, move to other products, or learn to like being cold in the winter.

I think maybe that the discount sales, combined with all the press from the AI project is causing them so much backlog, that rather than expand operations (which they may not have planned for) they are resorting to price increases to cool down sales on accessories and things with lower profit margins. I hope I'm wrong, but as someone who once made these sorts of decisions, I think it is one possible answer.

Unless, of course, they got hacked, and someone is trying to annoy their customers? I know, it sounds crazy, but these days, who knows?

I've been a huge fan of RD, but I don't think there is any possibility I can afford to stay with them at the new prices (assuming they're accurate). I know someone who has - of all things - a Russian doll he really likes, and which cost a very modest sum. Up until now, I never even thought of looking at them. :cry:

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

catnap wrote:

Dodgeman - I hope you are right and maybe it is some sort of mistake. It would be great if it turned out to be a big snafu.

But, I used to run my own business, and that was the basis for my thoughts on the increases. When we no longer wanted to support something, we raised the prices. But we always told our existing customers the story beforehand - it just was hurting our sustainability to keep certain products in stock, and we couldn't do it at the price points we'd been using. We also gave the existing customers a discounted day on the old lines before making any increases so they could stock up - and help us clear the old stuff out all at once! :D

The price increase theory is the same one used with cigarette taxes, liquor taxes, and carbon taxes. If you raise the price of heating oil, people either pay up, move to other products, or learn to like being cold in the winter.

I think maybe that the discount sales, combined with all the press from the AI project is causing them so much backlog, that rather than expand operations (which they may not have planned for) they are resorting to price increases to cool down sales on accessories and things with lower profit margins. I hope I'm wrong, but as someone who once made these sorts of decisions, I think it is one possible answer.

Unless, of course, they got hacked, and someone is trying to annoy their customers? I know, it sounds crazy, but these days, who knows?

I've been a huge fan of RD, but I don't think there is any possibility I can afford to stay with them at the new prices (assuming they're accurate). I know someone who has - of all things - a Russian doll he really likes, and which cost a very modest sum. Up until now, I never even thought of looking at them. :cry:
The point that you raised about raising prices to that level to calm sales orders until they catch up has entered my mind but, I have not posted anything on those thoughts. All I know is that there are several people that have sent me emails on this since you posted this thread and they feel the same way I do, that is how I discovered this thread today. I really hope that there is some sort of mistake with the Extreme price increase on these items as I will need a new magnet fair skin face if I can't find a nice pre-owned one and I cannot justify buying a new one if these are the prices now. I can understand a 10% increase but, not near 100% for the same exact product. :(

catnap

Post by catnap »

dodgeman wrote:
catnap wrote:

The point that you raised about raising prices to that level to calm sales orders until they catch up has entered my mind but, I have not posted anything on those thoughts. All I know is that there are several people that have sent me emails on this since you posted this thread and they feel the same way I do, that is how I discovered this thread today. I really hope that there is some sort of mistake with the Extreme price increase on these items as I will need a new magnet fair skin face if I can't find a nice pre-owned one and I cannot justify buying a new one if these are the prices now. I can understand a 10% increase but, not near 100% for the same exact product. :(
To be honest, I don't know about any price increases at this time with the combination of a stagnant economy an a stronger dollar. It starts making alternatives - which I never considered before - look like they're worth another look. At least this hobby isn't a necessity, we have a choice whether to pay the increases or go elsewhere to spend, so that's cool.

I guess we'll just have to wait and listen for the explanation, should they choose to explain it.

Hollywu
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Hollywu »

YIKES! Just went and checked for myself. That's a huge price increase. I know if those are the real prices, I too, cannot justify spending that much for those items. Very sad to see that happen as many of us with our lovely Real Dolls may need to get these things down the line... :(

Rocky-DollStacey
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Rocky-DollStacey »

This is very disappointing to say the least... I truly hope this is just a mistake made when updating the website but I fear that it is not. Not only that but it seems they have increased the Full head faces another +$200 making them $1199 and that's not even including shipping.... That is insane. Wow, I can't remember what the price for an extra insert was back about a year ago but $299.00 for one now is absolutely insane and both the price for a magnet face and insert is totally not justifiable at all in my honest opinion. I have a little knowledge in mold and casting and I cant see how producing a insert would come even close to that price point.

I hate to say it but with these kind of increases Abyss has pretty much priced me out of their products. I've purchased 3 New dolls from Abyss in the past a BodyA, BodyD, and now a BodyF and I'm certainly not trying to brag but I have the means to continue buying dolls and accessories from Abyss but I feel the prices no longer meet the value for me. At $7000.00+ for a doll I was already on the fence about the price of their dolls and now it looks like rates are going up. Like Dodgeman and many others I too have no real interest in the Realbotix AI products they are developing so I certainly hope their goal isn't to do away with the traditional doll. If a standard face is now $1000.00+ i hate to even think what the AI head will end up costing.

I'm in total agreement, If this is indeed the norm for price increases, along with the very lengthy lead times, my BodyF (ordered and in production) will most likely be the last order I make. Anyone who knows me and the photos I take of the Realdolls knows I have been a huge fan of Abyss and I am always fighting on their side when someone make a false statement about them, but if this is what we are to expect going forward then I'm afraid to say it but I'm out! I was planning to purchase a Stephanie face and Rebecca Head, welp sadly not anymore :(

catnap

Post by catnap »

I feel kind of bad for even bringing this up as a first post on this site. I know a few people in the hobby and they are as down in the dumps as we all are. One of them got me into the hobby with RD.

I'm hopeful that we might get news that someone fouled up, or they were hacked, or gremlins got in the system?

But, if not, keep in mind that there are A LOT of other suppliers on this site offering some very pretty, full-sized doll for $2000 and under. If it does turn out to be an actual price increase of this magnitude, I won't pay it. For myself, I won't give up the hobby completely, but I'll have to do the formerly unthinkable and start looking at other manufacturers.

That's going to be embarrassing, since I've been such a RD snob to my friends with TPE, and foreign dolls. :whistle:

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

To all concerned with this issue thus far, Matt has contacted me personally thru email as we have talked a few times over the years and he said that this issue has (Not) fallen on deaf ears. What is posted on the site is not a mistake but, he is very concerned about this and for those that are loyal to RealDoll! He is looking into this to see what he can do. I will leave it at that for now and see what Matt is able to do but, please, if anyone has any concerns about this, Do post your thoughts to let all concerned what your thoughts are! This is a sort of make or break issue for me as certain items will be out of reach and hard to justify in many ways for MANY people.

I bought 4 new dolls from Abyss myself and adopted 6 more over the years that I could not have afforded to order new but, I have bought many new accessories and repair items a few times for those adopted dolls to spruce them up and get them to where they should be. I will need a nice preowned or a new magnet face in the near future but, a new one may be the only option and at the current pricing, it will be out of reach as I could not justify the high cost for an older doll or newer doll for that matter.

So, let's see what develops from Matt contacting me about this as his concern is much appreciated.

catnap

Post by catnap »

I was afraid of that.

Dodgeman - I want to thank you for getting the issue heard in the right places. We'll have to see what develops.

Supersoul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Supersoul »

I am sorry to have to say but yes this would stop me from any further purchases. I was hoping to get a Stephany face also but could not justify it at that price.
The insert price increase has given me the biggest fright. There would have to be a big increase in durability for that sort of jump for me :( (and that's not saying they are not durable because they very much are, but they can be damaged)
Like others here I have been super loyal to Real Doll for a long time and honestly I am a bit shocked at the scale of the increase. But I also have faith in Matt that he will do what he can to look after his customer base.

INFORMATIONS