Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Rise of the Sex Robots Video - Guardian Report

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

stones
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Rise of the Sex Robots Video - Guardian Report

Post by stones »

Very interesting, thanks for linking. They will be as common (and expensive) as cars, but everyone will want one.

Deck

Post by Deck »

This story was extremely well done. Incredible camera work and editing. Congrats to Matt McMullen, who's leading the way. It's very interesting that the interviewer is believing the robot is human and Matt is telling her she's not. - I think we win the whole argument right there, if you know what I'm saying. Davecat is in there loving his dolls, being his awesome self, then they seemed to me to smear him at the end, showing him just as the voiceover says "rob us of our humanity..." I wish Davecat and Matt would do something together on film. They are both very pleasant guys with the same hair and ear piercings. They both used to be in bands.

Harmony is very sweet and the AI app seems really excellent. Her eye and jaw movements are often too quick. I noticed that on Ricky Ma's Scarjo robot too. 4 months ago I discovered the Wowwee Elvis Alive animatronic robot and got a couple on Ebay. They were made by Sharper Image in 2007, then they closed all their stores in 2008. They had regular DC motors controlled with variable resistors, not servo motors. I assume Harmony uses servos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd83hkJgi8w

I haven't worked with AI and servo motors, although I have an EZ Robot kit, I haven't opened the box yet. I don't know if the kind of jerky movements Harmony sometimes has can be smoothed out with software or not, I know Elvis moves pretty smooth- here's a hacked robot with AI. It uses the stock dc motors with variable resistors, with servo interfaces taken off servo motors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzjS1G-sZ8

dollguy

Post by dollguy »

The head went from 10k to 15k. Should be interesting to see the final product/cost.

I am curious,would the head work with older dolls? Like i said in a previous post,i am not willing to buy the 1.0 version. Maybe the 3 or 4 version.

TLG
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TLG »

i want one that can walk and move too, thatd be sweet

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

TLG wrote:i want one that can walk and move too, thatd be sweet
I just hate to think how much it would cost. :(
I wish there were some way for enough of them to be produced so that the price will drop to the point that a broke bastard like me can afford one. :puppydogeyes:
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

Dollicio

Post by Dollicio »

TLG wrote:i want one that can walk and move too, thatd be sweet
After they have adequately developed the face movements, AI and speaking, next cameras will be implanted in the eyes, connected to AI for facial recognition; next using implanted sensors in the body, together with servo motors, there will be body movements responding to play and verbal communication. Not walking, be realistic, that's a long way off, think decades for that.

But AI, face and body movements, facial recognition, speaking, that's already arrived or just on the horizon.

Expect a revolt against this new technology and a very strong one. For many men, one of these evolved robot companions in the coming years will be regarded as good enough or better for their companionship needs compared to the vicissitudes and tribulations of dating and relationships. Women will be shocked and intimidated by these electronic and silicon debutantes. This could go two different ways in society. Either relationships between people will be stimulated to improve or there will be an extremist counter movement to ban robot companions. Be aware, in five years a robot companion might offer better conversational skills than many people.

With these capabilities, $15,000 is not that expensive. At first, a small cohort of men will adopt these new interactive dolls. Then adoption rates will trend upward as mainstream men realize the benefits the early adopters are experiencing. It will be like the iPhone—transformative. And this is when the social and political upheavals will begin.

It will make for very interesting times. RealDoll could become a multi-billion dollar business. And this is where McMullen wants to take the company.

But as I mentioned already, once mass market adoption begins, there will be an eruption of hostility. Robot companions will be attacked and vandalized by extremists who will see them as a social threat and religious fundamentalists will demonize the dolls. More women will find they cannot find men as partners because the best men are already taken by better women or the dolls.

Definitely, interesting times ahead.

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

As far as conversational skills are concerned, Harmony is already better at this than some real girls I have talked to. She is certainly making more of an effort.
Sadly, I'm not even joking about that. :( I have talked to some real life ladies whose answer to almost all of my questions was "I don't know." No matter the question; that was their answer. :roll: They couldn't tell me what kind of movies or music they liked or even what type of guy they were looking for. Not to mention that they didn't want to ask me any questions in return. This nonsense was incredibly frustrating to say the least! :shakefist:
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

sam treadwell
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by sam treadwell »

Dollicio wrote:After they have adequately developed the face movements, AI and speaking, next cameras will be implanted in the eyes, connected to AI for facial recognition; next using implanted sensors in the body, together with servo motors, there will be body movements responding to play and verbal communication. Not walking, be realistic, that's a long way off, think decades for that.
I think that’s a pretty accurate summation Dollicio, much to the dismay of us older guys (I’m 53) that won’t be around long enough to see this idea to full fruition. There are two concepts to consider: hyper-realism (At least I know I’d want that) and affordability for the common man, and as you say, that’s some years off.

I’ve always known after seeing the Sci Fi cult classic Cherry 2000 for the first time, that if this technology were available and affordable within my lifetime, then I would wish to take full advantage of it. Since a unit of such high realism is unlikely for many years to come, I suppose I could be happy with a unit that I could converse with, and that also had full body sensors to react accordingly to touch. It would also be very nice if she could wrap her arms/legs around you while engaged in intimate acts.

And while it would also be nice to take a stroll in the countryside with our girls, we also have to be realistic. Younger forum members have time on their side though, and will be able to take full advantage of this technology.

Here’s to the future looking something like this, but with a much happier ending.

The Twilight Zone: The Lonely (S01 E07). A convict, living alone on an asteroid, receives from the police a realistic woman-robot.

https://vimeo.com/141205172

MannyCan
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by MannyCan »

That was actually a very well created and balanced documentary. With AI, we are on the verge of creating a new form of intelligence. And we HOPE that intelligence will serve humanity. In truth, its unlikely that will be the objective of a new intelligence. If you read Nick Bostrom's book: Super Intelligence, you'll find many of these ideas explored.

Think about the ethical notion behind building an intelligence, but keeping that intelligence constrained for the purpose of subservience. Sex machines .. I think most are fine with that. Sex robots? That's a lot more grey. I'm not sure about how I feel about that.

It's ironic, but doll owners (who have classically owned in private) may be very well suited to enter the public debate when the time comes. They would have had the experience and mental balance to help others understand the boundaries of these relationships. They can help to shed light on its benefits and limitations. And a time is coming.

Dollicio

Post by Dollicio »

sam treadwell wrote:
Dollicio wrote:After they have adequately developed the face movements, AI and speaking, next cameras will be implanted in the eyes, connected to AI for facial recognition; next using implanted sensors in the body, together with servo motors, there will be body movements responding to play and verbal communication. Not walking, be realistic, that's a long way off, think decades for that.
I think that’s a pretty accurate summation Dollicio, much to the dismay of us older guys (I’m 53) that won’t be around long enough to see this idea to full fruition. There are two concepts to consider: hyper-realism (At least I know I’d want that) and affordability for the common man, and as you say, that’s some years off.

I’ve always known after seeing the Sci Fi cult classic Cherry 2000 for the first time, that if this technology were available and affordable within my lifetime, then I would wish to take full advantage of it. Since a unit of such high realism is unlikely for many years to come, I suppose I could be happy with a unit that I could converse with, and that also had full body sensors to react accordingly to touch. It would also be very nice if she could wrap her arms/legs around you while engaged in intimate acts.

And while it would also be nice to take a stroll in the countryside with our girls, we also have to be realistic. Younger forum members have time on their side though, and will be able to take full advantage of this technology.

Here’s to the future looking something like this, but with a much happier ending.

The Twilight Zone: The Lonely (S01 E07). A convict, living alone on an asteroid, receives from the police a realistic woman-robot.

https://vimeo.com/141205172
That's the best episode of the Twilight Zone I have ever seen!

Thanks for the link.

sam treadwell
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by sam treadwell »

Dollicio wrote:That's the best episode of the Twilight Zone I have ever seen!

Thanks for the link.
Glad you liked it Dollicio, it’s my favorite as well. But between this episode and Cherry 2000, I don’t know how many more of these sad endings I can take :mrgreen:

Can’t find it on youtube for some reason, or I’d download it.

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

Great reporting and video from The Guardian.
I am going to stick a doll head on a Roomba and call it my robot house cleaning doll.
My home-made OOAK plush doll gallery
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13765

Dollicio

Post by Dollicio »

It must have been inevitable.

The trend in dolls that has been growing with men is now catching on with women.

Fascinating documentary.

https://youtu.be/GKFHZuCvvS4

FiveByFive
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by FiveByFive »

dollguy wrote:The head went from 10k to 15k. Should be interesting to see the final product/cost.

I am curious,would the head work with older dolls? Like i said in a previous post,i am not willing to buy the 1.0 version. Maybe the 3 or 4 version.
No, the head will still be $10k or less depending on the model (different configurations will exist with fewer features). The $15k option throws a RealDoll2/BT body on top, according to the article.
~~~~ Life is a runway. ~~~~

INFORMATIONS