Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

RD storage space requirements and other questions

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

timtom

RD storage space requirements and other questions

Post by timtom »

Hi there,

I'm looking into getting a RD but I'm worried about the storage space required for the doll. I live in a 1-bedroom apartment and would only have space in the closet or a 2.5'x3.5' storage room. How big is the crate that the doll comes in or what is the footprint if she were to hang in the closet? I'm looking at a Body A or E if that makes a difference.

I also only have a small shower, no bath tub, and I don't think it would work to shower the doll in it due to size. Is it really necessary or is a sponge bath going to work well enough?

Since I don't want to make a costly mistake, are there any other things that I need to consider before ordering?

trauma
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: RD storage space requirements and other questions

Post by trauma »

You can disassemble the crate and store it. Then that space you mentioned can be used for the doll. Keep the crate for a potential sale of course.

AnonViking
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by AnonViking »

Abyss has two sizes of crates, taller and shorter ones:

Larger is: 188 x 82 x 56 (cm)

Smaller one is 6 feet high.

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

timtom wrote:Hi there,

I'm looking into getting a RD but I'm worried about the storage space required for the doll. I live in a 1-bedroom apartment and would only have space in the closet or a 2.5'x3.5' storage room. How big is the crate that the doll comes in or what is the footprint if she were to hang in the closet? I'm looking at a Body A or E if that makes a difference.

I also only have a small shower, no bath tub, and I don't think it would work to shower the doll in it due to size. Is it really necessary or is a sponge bath going to work well enough?

Since I don't want to make a costly mistake, are there any other things that I need to consider before ordering?
A sponge or washcloth bath is perfect, easy and can be done easy while she is on a doll stand but, do NOT use an exfoliating sponge or you will damage your dolls skin, use something soft and gentle. I do that very same thing for all of my dolls and it saves you from putting her in a shower which is not necessary. Them powder her after she dries with cornstarch baby powder to make her silky smooth. :D

The crates are made in 2 sizes and the body A & E both use the shorter of the two. That crate will measure 70 inches high with bottom skids, 32 inches wide and 21 1/2 inches deep with skids on the back for laying the crate down. I have 7 crates here and several of each size and I have given this info to many people wishing to know. The hanging hook that is bolted to the inside of the crate can be removed to attach to a wall stud inside of a closet but, you must bolt it thru the wall and into a stud or it WILL pull out and your doll will fall. If the crate will fit inside of the closet, that will work great so just use the dimensions that I posted here for you and see if it will fit and if not, you have other options. :D

timtom

Post by timtom »

Thanks for your replies. The crate will indeed fit in either space. Is there a downside to using the crate as permanent storage solution?

Dodgeman's comments made me think of another question. Is the doll stand from Abyss any good or should I look elsewhere?

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

timtom wrote:Thanks for your replies. The crate will indeed fit in either space. Is there a downside to using the crate as permanent storage solution?

Dodgeman's comments made me think of another question. Is the doll stand from Abyss any good or should I look elsewhere?
The crate is Perfect for storage and you can also add a lock hasp or two to the door as it is on hinges for extra security. :thumbs_up:

The doll stand from Abyss is a good stand but, being a tripod design, you need a bit of floor space to deploy it far enough for stability which is generally not an issue for most people. I build a real nice fully adjustable all aluminum stand with a square base that will sit right up against a wall but they are not easy or cheap to ship so I have only sold a few to people that can pick them up from me in person and I live in PA USA.

No matter, the Abyss stand is a good one as many people here have them and I have both seen, used, modified and repaired a couple in the past for members here that I have met in person. The repairs that I did to help out their owners were only minor issues that are not common and so you can buy and use one with confidence. :D

timtom

Post by timtom »

dodgeman wrote:
timtom wrote:Thanks for your replies. The crate will indeed fit in either space. Is there a downside to using the crate as permanent storage solution?

The crate is Perfect for storage and you can also add a lock hasp or two to the door as it is on hinges for extra security. :thumbs_up:

The doll stand from Abyss is a good stand but, being a tripod design, you need a bit of floor space to deploy it far enough for stability which is generally not an issue for most people. I build a real nice fully adjustable all aluminum stand with a square base that will sit right up against a wall but they are not easy or cheap to ship so I have only sold a few to people that can pick them up from me in person and I live in PA USA.

No matter, the Abyss stand is a good one as many people here have them and I have both seen, used, modified and repaired a couple in the past for members here that I have met in person. The repairs that I did to help out their owners were only minor issues that are not common and so you can buy and use one with confidence. :D
Thanks again. Just for reference, if I were to decide to order a doll, how much is your stand and can you ship it to Germany? Even the Abyss stand with shipping is $460 and space is at a premium in my apartment.

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

timtom wrote:
dodgeman wrote:

Thanks again. Just for reference, if I were to decide to order a doll, how much is your stand and can you ship it to Germany? Even the Abyss stand with shipping is $460 and space is at a premium in my apartment.
Unfortunately I don't ship the stands as they are large and do not break down to a small device that is easy to ship like the RD tripod stand does. They are built as 2 pieces that slide apart (base & mast) and would have to be shipped in 2 large boxes as each section is welded together and is not a bolt together stand and that would add to the shipping costs. I don't ship out of the USA either as the shipping costs to any other country would be cost prohibitive plus the customs declaration issues and currency exchanges are things that I avoid too as I don't do this as a business. The stands are 325.00 USD for whoever can get one from me in person. The RD tripod stand will be the most affordable option unless you create a stand of your own and so that you must decide. :)

Here is what my stands look like. A photo of 4 of them built for my girls and one for a guy that picked it up in person and a photo of 2 of my dolls on the stands at a doll meet here in PA USA. :)

4 stands together just after I built them.
P1040826 - Copy.JPG
P1040826 - Copy.JPG (757.36 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Two of my dolls on the stands at the Hershey doll meet this year in PA USA.
DSC_0122 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0122 - Copy.JPG (573.11 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

timtom

Post by timtom »

Thanks anyway. That's some pretty good craftsmanship from the looks of it.

INFORMATIONS