betterlovedoll.com

Claire has a question

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Claire has a question

Post by wetsuit »

well, two really

do you like tattoo's? & what do you think of her new one?

Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!  (A A Milne)
Wetsuit's gallery

Perry
Ex-Member

Post by Perry »

COOL!!!

Fuckin-A, man! Tell us more. did you do that? how did you do it?

(note, check my avatar if you doubt that I dig tats)

laf_ange

Post by laf_ange »

It's cute.
It's a permanent tattoo?
What was done?

C'est mignon.
C'est un tatouage permanent ?
Avec quoi il a été fait ?

LAF ! ! ... !
Sans enfant heureux et fier de l'être !
Childfree happy and proud to be!

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by wetsuit »

hi Perry,

I could have put money on yours being the 1st responce to this thread eh? :lol: yes I had noticed your avatar befor

yes I did it myself it's just a practice run to see how it works out & how steady my hand is befor I work on something more permanent

it's just done in water colour paint, tubes for the outline as it needs to be pretty thick but you can use pans for the shading

I'm hoping that when I've had a couple of practice goes & got it perfect & thought more about positioning, I might go over it with some clear coat & make it permanent
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!  (A A Milne)
Wetsuit's gallery

hanuman37
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by hanuman37 »

I'm not a big fan of tattoos... but that one's very nice! As it happens, I *am* a fan of dangerous curves... :twisted: so thanks for another glimpse of Claire's.

Overall, my opinion is that adding something like this to any of your dolls... like the "beauty mark" I gave my Cathy last month... strengthens the bond between you by adding to your shared history. So it's all good!

Thanks for sharing!

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by wetsuit »

I thought it was pretty cute too,

I've done it a lot bigger that I want it & a lot lower down,

idealy it would be about a third if that size & up on her shoulder, but as this is just a trial run I'm quite pleased with how well the paint has taken to the sillicone.

I need to get some finer brushes to get the outlines as thin as I want them when I reduce the size,
Wetsuit's gallery

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

Nice work, Wetsuit!

I'm not sure if it will hold up long term, though. Silicone has a tendancy to act as a thick liquid. As such, inks and dyes tend to disperse into the silicone and fade, like a drop of food coloring in a drum of water.

It would depend if the pigments in the paints that you are using are dispersable in a solvent base. If they are they may begin to migrate in the silicone once they are sealed with silicone.

If you worked with mineral pigments this would not be the case, as their particles tend to bind with the silicone and hold. Have you looked into silicone paints? Both Guy Louis and Smooth-on have a line of paints just for decorating silicone. I would expect Guy Louis to have the better selection and quality. His site, http://www.fusefx.ca/about.html

Smooth-on paints, http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubbe ... index.html

Good luck with your project, the tattoo is cute!

Mahtek & his Ladies
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

Keithallen
Ex-Member

Post by Keithallen »

:D cute tatoo!!!
Yes, I like tattos, and that is a cool one 8)

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

I have used water based paint for models to paint the lips. It goes on well, but isn't permanent. If you clean the surface well it would last maybe a week if you don't rub it.

Don't laugh, but here is Ceilidh with painted lips. This was before I mixed some makeup powder in some thinned adhesive. That would be very permenant.

Red Heads Rule!

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by wetsuit »

thanks for the tips guys, & the links Mahtek

pigment migration was one of the things I was worried about as I remember how those dark stained rings on her legs (from the hold ups) slowly dispersed, although it was a good thing in that case, it wouldnt be desirable for a tattoo to slowly dissapere,

I'm hoping the paint will be less likely to do this as it has a powder pigment base as apposed to a liquid dye base

I'll leave it where it is for a few days & then wash it off if there's any staining left behind after washing then there's a good chance it could disperse over time, if not then it's a ok.

mixing pigments with thinned sillicone is about the best & most permanent method I could think of but I need to practice a lot more first, as if I muck it up then it stays mucked up 8O

painting it with the watercolours & then going over it with a clear coat of thinned sillicone would be the best method for making sure I got it rite first, because I could correct any mistakes easily, but the chances of the thin outlines cracking up over time are quite high

I was messing about last night in bed, stretching it & pressing on it, the coloured areas are very stable & have not cracked up but some of the outlines have. I think this is becase the paint for the outlines had to be thicker to make them more even where as the colouring in was done a lot thinner
Wetsuit's gallery

LBFan
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by LBFan »

Wetsuit, that is COOL! Well done, man! :D

LBFan

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

That is a cute tatto. I like your drawing style.

RaDiv
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RaDiv »

Looks great, Wetsuit :D

I'm not a big fan of tattoos but a discrete one in a hidden place is ok.
She told me to come but I was already there

INFORMATIONS