betterlovedoll.com

Brie in "Wonderland" - Halloween 2017 Photoset

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

JunkGuy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Brie in "Wonderland" - Halloween 2017 Photoset

Post by JunkGuy »

VonRubber wrote:Somehow I think the photos would look even more spectacular presented in a comic format.
I considered that but decided it was better to let the photos speak for themselves and have the viewers decide what was being discussed or happening (if anything.) Besides, I would have had to find appropriate quotes from the book and digitally add them to the images which was more work than I wanted to do. Though I will say that the last one at the tea party table where she's looking unamused at the Hatter I felt that in this one she must be contemplating the "How is a raven like a writing desk" riddle. (The answers: Poe wrote on both, and both can produce particular kinds of notes.)

I think the comic format is great for those that want to tell a story that way, but it can also be rather limiting. I couldn't have paused a comic story long enough to show off several different poses of Brie in the Mad Hatters Hat, for example.

Oh, and I hope you noticed a more varied use of your Teeth & Tongues set this time around after my modifications. Previously I used maybe one or two in a photoset, perhaps three, but this time I used five of the pieces (all three mouth pieces and two tongues)

Swan wrote:Brie deserves a Kiss
Don't worry, she'll get one. 8)

Mr_Fix_it
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Over the Horizon turn left and about half way up the hill

Post by Mr_Fix_it »

:thumbs_up: Awesome! :thumbs_up: This was very nicely done. And yes it put a big smile on my face :D

CF
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by CF »

Absolutely brilliant! This sets a new standard.

You truly love this doll, and have found an artistic muse. THANK YOU for sharing!
Viva la megaboobs!
*My juicy Cherry: viewtopic.php?t=154759
*Z-cup Moira: viewtopic.php?t=138543
*BBW Breanna: viewtopic.php?t=143116
*Yulia: viewtopic.php?t=122950
*Tina viewtopic.php?t=121819
*Aurora Jolie: viewtopic.php?t=106838
*World-famous Una Carha: viewtopic.php?t=93292

subcom117
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by subcom117 »

It's always a pleasure to see Brie! What a great job! I salute your creativity. :thumbs_up:
Although I read your descriptions of what you did, all I had to do was see the photos to recognize the amount of creativity, preparation of props and backgrounds, and effort in execution that it took to pull this off. Very nicely done and very enjoyable to view!
I laughed out loud when I saw the appearance of the Cheshire cat's smile. Too funny! You and Brie obviously have a great sense of fun, as it truly comes out in your work.
Incidentally, even as Alice in the conservative dress, Brie still makes it look pretty sexy. 8)
Thanks for sharing with us.

scooter_ca
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by scooter_ca »

Great job JunkGuy and Brie.
I love photo shoots that tell a story.
This one took so much dedication and effort.
Relax, put the camera down, and spend some quality time with Brie.
She deserves it.

Thanks,
scooter
With beautiful Daria and Giorgi.
Everything about Daria can be found in her NEW Photo Timeline: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=117493
Everything about Giorgi can be found in her Photo Timeline: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=96105
Doll Album: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=14626

JunkGuy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JunkGuy »

subcom117 wrote:I laughed out loud when I saw the appearance of the Cheshire cat's smile. Too funny! You and Brie obviously have a great sense of fun, as it truly comes out in your work.
I do like to have lots of different expressions for Brie in my photosets. It's fine to have the doll's standard expression if doing a single photo or a small set, but when you average as many photos in a set as I do you look for something more. That's why I was an early adopter of VonRubber's Teeth&Tongue set - I saw the potential for expressions and jumped at the chance to be one of the first to use it.

I've worked in "surprise" a few times before, like the roses at Valentine's or the sparkler for Independence Day. The Cheshire Cat surprise is the best yet though, thanks to a modification I did to make the mouth piece fit better and the posing of her hand. It's one of my new favorite photos.

Unfortunately, Von Rubber's set has too many tongues and not enough variation of teeth. I've been thinking about designing a "smirk" type of smile where one side is thicker than the other but haven't got around to doing it. It won't be as good as Von Rubber's resin pieces - just Lego blocks covered in white paper with teeth drawn on - but it might do the job until I can manufacture something better. Considered it for this shoot but didn't have a set made or photo-tested and didn't want to throw an untested element into what was already a complicated enough shoot with plenty of other elements I'd never tried before. I might employ it for a photo contest though if opportunity arises.

scooter_ca wrote:Relax, put the camera down, and spend some quality time with Brie.
Oh its fine. This set was taken October 15 so there's been quite a bit of rest since then - mostly just curating and digitally editing the keepers since, a few each day. I worked in a photo contest entry during that time, too (the digital editing parts only, as photos were taken October 3), and I still had time left over for a bonus Halloween photo. Other than possibly a photo contest entry or two, I'm likely to take off November and return for Christmas with the next big shoot. I still spend the vast majority of my time with Brie not doing photoset work.

Chastity_Knite
Doll
Doll

Post by Chastity_Knite »

Wow Brie looks great as an Alice. I nay make Sammy do something like this next year.
“HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM. (Death)”
― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Chastity Knite's family and back story
Sammy and Me talking
Chastity on the Doll Matrix
Chastity on the Doll Album

Rari
Doll
Doll

Post by Rari »

LOVE this! You can tell a lot of thought and creativity really went into creating it.

Great job!

Hugs,

Rari
"Understand me. I'm not like an ordinary world. I have my madness, I live in another dimension and I do not have time for things that have no soul." - Charles Bukowski

Lilith Un Rama
Doll MILF
Location: TDF DOLL QUEEN- On my throne of Bones DOWNUNDER-keeping Maestro Un Rama under some control

Post by Lilith Un Rama »

Absolutely Fabulous

I can not wait for the sequel...a She devil in wonderland...now that would be a fun tea party :lol:

But the problem is....what happens if I eat the bunny 8O

Lily

Humans :
ALPHA DAEMON is ANUNG
BETA MALE PROVIDERS ...every other male on TDF... human or demon...Giggles...Love you all!

"Anung is Mine as I am his, but I am also my own legion of women with our own opinions...So if I growl at you or give you a frowny face, it is probably because you were being a goose and your post offended someone...namely me!

ImageImageImageImage

realmilker
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by realmilker »

Fantastic set! I'm hoping she's a fan of Christmas, too.

STUDZOF
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by STUDZOF »

Congratulations, Brie for me is always N. 1 of all dolls .....

JunkGuy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JunkGuy »

I've been asked before how to make photosets like this. I don't claim to be an expert, but I think there's three things everyone can do to make for better photosets. (Knowing how to do makeup is not one of them!) I shared these tips before on one of the threads posted to WM forum, but thought it would be useful to update and reshare.

1. A theme. Having a good idea (or a few) can pull it all together and make everything else easy. It can be anything as simple as your doll on your bed to something like Alice in Wonderland. But offhand I'd say the bigger you dream the better it can be. Appropriate clothing and props can really make a theme pop and be memorable. Not to brag, but when Halloween rolls around next year, you're more likely to remember this set than the Eye Candy threads posted immediately before or after. It's my theme you'll remember, not neccesarily the photo quality.

2. A plan of execution. I think of some poses or expressions I may want to try in the days leading up to the shoot (possibly referring to a folder of images I've saved for posing ideas), and a day or two before the shoot will draw them out in stick figure form with little notes. (See atttached below.)
I don't always execute everything I jot down becuase I may change my mind on some things at last moment (no simple clock artwork for background) or realize the dolls balance or range of motion can't do exactly what I want (curtsy, finger to cheek.) But it gives me a framework to follow so I can get all the important shots without missing anything I need or having to constantly reconfigure doll or environment. It also allows me to work faster. Following the plan start to finish may be optional - I actually did the card game photos first this time, while the rocking chair photos were the last becuase I wanted to do as many standing scenes up front and sitting scenes last so I wasn't always adjusting Brie. Generally first to last is important though if you want your doll to strip over the course of the set or do some other action that might not easily be reversed.

3. Variation of expression. Having your doll look dead ahead, straight at camera with closed mouth is fine if you like that, but you have to admit its rather basic. If you want your doll to have some life in your pictures, consider moving the eyes, head, and arms around into different positions. Most people can do the arms, but be mindful of hands and fingers: if the fingers are crossed or bent out of shape it could ruin a nice photo. If the fingers are so badly mangled as to not be appropriate for show, you could consider hiding them under sheets or a pillow, or simply crop the image to not show them. If the head can do more than turn left or right, do so; tilt it to the sides, up, or down, for some shots. VonRubber's teeth and tongue inserts are great for mouths and I highly recommend a set for photography, but you can also make bargain teeth for just a few dollars. The hardset trick, and the one I don't see utilized enough is eye movement. VonRubber gave a tip a long time back to add some extra cotton behind the eye, which not only makes the iris appear larger and better for photography, but allows you to press against the eye and move it around more easily. Having the doll look askew at something or off camera can work wonders.
Granted, not every doll can utilize all these expressions. If you can't its even more important to build up theme and plan to compenstate. I've seen some great work recently with the little Barbie and Phicen dolls providing expression through props.

Happy to share any other insights you guys might ask about.
Attachments
My plan for this shoot. And yes, my handwriting is atrocious.
My plan for this shoot. And yes, my handwriting is atrocious.
wonderland_plan.jpg (359.52 KiB) Viewed 894 times

Cubiko
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Cubiko »

Great work and result :)

Love how you approached this - I could never plan ahead, just go with the flow, ending up in no story at all.

windave
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by windave »

I'm late, I'm late to tell you this is a wonderful photo set.

INFORMATIONS