www.wmdolls.com

Tools for modifying MQ's

All forms of mannequins that were not originally sold as love dolls. Mannequins that have been modified for sex should also be included here.
narcissus
Former Member

Tools for modifying MQ's

Post by narcissus »

I was looking at tools to make the necessary hole in our mannequins in order to modify them for sex. This looks promising, what do you guys think? You might not even have to 'buy' one, just rent or borrow one from somewhere or someone, too. I used an Xacto knife, which is not only laborious, but also dangerous, one could say.

Check out this Dremel Rotary one, with the guide. I am not a handyman by any means, all this is new to me, so you people that know a thing or two about tools, please chime in. Thanks! :)
I wonder if there are less expensive tools that can do the job, like say this one! :haha4:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

Or this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =202713165

Basically an inexpensive one that can cut fiberglass, plastic, etc. that mannequins are made of.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Re: Tools for modifying MQ's

Post by MannequinFan »

Yes! that's the tool I was planning on using for Sammie's Mods.

I'm thinking the cheaper one would be more than enough to cut the thin fiberglass on the mannequin. Would also be great for cutting the eye holes if you are planning doing glass eyes. The great thing is that the Dremel would smooth the edge as it cuts instead of leaving a ragged edge like a saw would.

All you would need to do is drill a pilot hole and start cutting the hole with the high speed cutter bit, then you could use the little sanding wheel to smooth the hole edges really nice.

They say in reviews that the cheaper ones go through batteries pretty fast so you'd probably want to get a charger if you use it a lot. Even the Multi-pro 7.2 volt full kit with charger is less than $50:
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-15-MultiPr ... 027&sr=8-4

BTW, Thanks for the video Narcissus. :)

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

I don't belive that this tool will work well for your purpose. You would not be able to use the circle guide between the dolls legs and using the tool freehand will cause the bit to walk on you and make cutting a perfect circular hole in your doll impossible.

The only good thing a Dremel is good for is for a hobbist building models or for small wood carving projects and working on very small things. I had one for years and only used it once to sand and enlarge the ID on a 1/2" plumbing pipe. They also burn up bits and disks faster than you can buy them.

I finally tossed mine in the trash last spring cleaning out my shop, it was just taking up space.

Not sure how large of a diameter hole you need to make but a $10.00 Hole saw bit for a drill will work just fine and leave a clean edge.

It's such false advertising for these tools. Sure it cut the vinyl siding (then you see them inserting a dryer vent cap into the hole ... But ... how did the rest of the hole get cut through the building ??? With a Hole Saw which would have easily and more efficiently cut the hole in the siding too.
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

Awesome, thanks man!

So I find the right size hole saw attachment, and find a power drill to attach it to.

Anyone have any recommendations for either, do tell.

itsme
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by itsme »

I have about 5 Dremel's I love them they are a great tool.

But I buy the Roto Zip blades they are stronger.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

siliconelover wrote:You would not be able to use the circle guide between the dolls legs and using the tool freehand will cause the bit to walk on you and make cutting a perfect circular hole in your doll impossible.
Thanks for the heads up on the bit walking siliconelover, I have never used one of these tools so that's good info to know.

I was thinking the best way to use the tool in this case would be to cut a rough hole smaller than the final hole size and then go back with a grinding type bit and finish the hole to the final size. That way you would just be taking off material a little at a time to get to the exact hole shape and you'd have a smooth edge when you're done.

The problem with the hole saw is that the shape is not circular. However you could use that to start with and then enlarge the hole to the final shape with a grinding attachment. You could also drill many small holes close together and then "connect the dots" so to speak for the rough hole then polish it off with a grinding or drum sander attachment. Here is a drum sanding bit for an electric drill:

Here is what my mod will hopefully look like using the Mckenzie Lee pussy:
MckenzieLee-insert.JPG
MckenzieLee-insert.JPG (216.65 KiB) Viewed 21586 times
The yellow thing is a 3" long sticky for scale so I could size the toy correctly on the image. As you can see, the shape will need to be more oval and slightly irregular.

Taylr
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Taylr »

I use a Dremel almost daily, when working on mannequins. I use the fine points to initiate cuts and to make precision cuts, as they remove the least amount of material during the cut. Having sufficient choices in bits is essential and I have about thirty+ bits that I use. It is also the perfect tool for the work needed to convert a mannequin to glass eyes. I do not, however, recommend a battery-powered unit for any shop tool. There is nothing like running out of power in the middle of a project to screw up a day.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hi Taylr!

Thanks, it's great to hear from someone with a lot of experience actually working on mannequins! Any and all suggestions that you can give would be of great help for these modifications. I'm just starting the mods for my mannequin and I'm trying to make her as realistic and anatomically correct as possible. Eventually I will hope to give her tan lines, enhance the nipples and perhaps give her glass eyes. Any suggestions you can give for painting, glass eye work and materials/methods used for resurfacing or modifying the form (i.e. epoxy putty) would be greatly appreciated.

There's also a thread here discussing the type of foam to use inside as a filler:http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=40153
Do you have any experience with this you could share?

Thanks again,

MF :D

wale
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by wale »

MannequinFan wrote:Hi Taylr!

enhance the nipples

Thanks again,

You can buy those silicone nipples at ebay and glued with silicone or crazy glue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-COLOR-FAKE ... 53e4442818

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... s&_sacat=0
Attachments
NIPPLES.jpg
NIPPLES.jpg (22.3 KiB) Viewed 21439 times

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

Nice find, wale! I like the mocha version of those ones, too! :twisted:
Taylr wrote: I do not, however, recommend a battery-powered unit for any shop tool.
When I was talking to an engineer at the hospital about drills the other day, he also recommended ones that weren't cordless, and drills that weren't cheap ones like the one BLACK & DECKER 12-Volt 3/8" Smart Select Cordless Drill Kit I had in mind:

But that will do the job, I think. At around $40. And then and arbor anchor and hole saw, if I get a cheap one:

LENOX 3-1/2" Bi-Metal Arbored Hole Saw (not sure exact size, I'd just eyeball the size in person in the store)

That's for about $20.00.

If I ever have trouble getting into a mannequin using only a knife, I'd probably get some gear like that or some kind of Dremel, to get a pussy hole in her.

LovesBlackWomen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LovesBlackWomen »

I'm too embarrassed to ask the mannequin factories near me in New York to "modify" the mannequin for me.
I wouldn't mind paying them a couple of hundred dollars to make the hole, and then sand it down.
Mannequin Girl 4 said he'd do it for me, and I would've paid him, but now he's gone.

Taylr
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Taylr »

MannequinFan wrote:Hi Taylr!

Thanks, it's great to hear from someone with a lot of experience actually working on mannequins! Any and all suggestions that you can give would be of great help for these modifications. I'm just starting the mods for my mannequin and I'm trying to make her as realistic and anatomically correct as possible. Eventually I will hope to give her tan lines, enhance the nipples and perhaps give her glass eyes. Any suggestions you can give for painting, glass eye work and materials/methods used for resurfacing or modifying the form (i.e. epoxy putty) would be greatly appreciated.

There's also a thread here discussing the type of foam to use inside as a filler:http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=40153
Do you have any experience with this you could share?

Thanks again,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been rather busy with a multitude of things.

First, I should say that I do not work with the imports, such as the Loutoffs that several members have purchased, so adding ballast or strengthening is not something I do. For me, they are too fragile and not as nicely done as the Rootsteins, Hindsgauls, New John Nissens and such. It is a preference, however, not a judgement.

As for using Bondo or fiberglas sheets with resin, I opt for the former for filling and the latter for areas that require strength, such as joining a leg to a torso. I also use Bondo for sculpting, when it does not require a heavy build-up of material. I should add that I do not use my mannequins for 'nocturnal activities,' so I do not have the concern for their ability to hold up under pressure.

As for glass eyes, I am rather new at this and am working through the process, although I will say that it is not as difficult as it would seem. HOWEVER, and I emphasize this for a reason, if I wanted perfection I would send off the upper torso to a guy in New York. He does spectacular work, but he does not work on plastic mannequins or imports. He also has the best source for glass eyes I've ever seen. If you are interested in his contact information, let me know. I won't post his info in a public forum.

As for nipples, the best ones I have found are in the UK, at this link: http://softcaresilicone.org/index.php?p ... =1&lang=en

They are not always in stock, but they are the most realistic. I am waiting for them to get some of the colours I want, before I order.

You can also get real eyebrows and such from a site in the USA, although the site is for medical needs. I would not mention that the parts are for mannequins, if you order from them. They didn't seem to be open to that idea, when I contacted them a while back. http://www.headcovers.com/cosmetics/eyebrows/

Hope this all helps.

Taylr

Krule World

Post by Krule World »

having used power tools on fiberglass (including a mannequin) first thing you should buy is a dust mask. the dust is not only toxic, but carcinogenic.

looking at saws and stuff, get blades designed for metal, as the wood stuff is too coarse.

also a dremel rotary tool is a useful too, i've got one for my toy building, and it saves a lot of elbow grease.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Taylr, thanks so much for the nipple manufacturer link. I bookmarked it.

Indeed they are the most realistic I have seen as well. As far as attaching/adhering them to the mannequin, do you have any suggestions or guidelines?

Thanks again
MF

nikel222
Apprentice
Apprentice

thanks Taylr

Post by nikel222 »

thanks Taylr your nipples link is really useful it's not easy find such manufacturer in europe
I was trying to make it myself using RTV silicon rubber from italian manufacturer http://www.prochima.com/index.asp
but i think this UK nipples are better

INFORMATIONS