betterlovedoll.com

Robots Television Documentary

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
ns001
Documentary & TV
Documentary & TV

Re: Robots Television Documentary

Post by ns001 »

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on these two recent articles from the last few days.

"Humans get 'aroused' when touching robot buttocks":
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... sex-robots

"Robot Resembles Scarlett Johansson":
http://news.discovery.com/tech/robotics ... 160405.htm

Love to hear what everyone thinks...

N

Karrot
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Karrot »

Second one, Meh. man makes a robot that looks vaguely like an actress. The article says nothing much to be fair. Well done to the bloke for making it and getting it to work, it's am impressive thing to do.

The first one however. ./le sigh.........

People touching a mechanical looking robot in intimate areas under instruction isn't a great test. I would think that the test subjects were probably more embarrassed about being asked to do this than actually doing it. Dr Kathleen Richardson is correct that simply measuring skin resistance and reactions shows very little.

But :twisted:
CASR has also received considerable publicity with its claims that human-robot sex could "further reinforce disturbing human lived experience".
I hope that's a typo, but whatever. Yes, they could send someone down the wrong path, but so can so many other stimuli available in every day life. Lets look at common clothing advertising for a moment shall we? It's one of the most damaging social aspects out there, forcing images of perfect men and women onto the masses and telling them that if they dont look like that, they arent beautiful. We allow that to continue in public, but an autonomous sexual outlet for private use is doing to drive society in to the ground?
"We are not proposing to extent rights to robots," a statement on the campaign group's website reads.
I'm sure every mass manufacturer in the world is glad to hear this. Imagine KX-4 down on Engines telling the boss it wasn't feeling particularly well lubricated and it was going home for the afternoon......

Robots are built for a purpose. If they fulfil that purpose they are a successful product.
"We do not see robots as conscious entities.
Again, correct. If they were then we would have a serious moral dilemma on our hands, creating what is effectively a new species capable of self awareness, judgement, and thought.
We propose instead that robots are a product of human consciousness and creativity and human power relationships are reflected in the production, design and proposed uses of these robots.
So what we are saying here is that we are the ones who define the limits of the capabilities of our own creations. And creating a sex robot would simply mean designing it to perform sex. Seems pretty simple. It's still just a tool to do a job so far.
"As a result, we oppose any efforts to develop robots that will contribute to gender inequalities in society."
Ah, there we go, the gender equality card. So make both male and female robots and then its fucking equal!

Karrot
I'm just a boy, standing in front of a girl, trying not to masturbate.
Xiaoli - DS Doll 160+ with Jaiyi head (Picture Thread here)
Kaia - DS Doll 167 Evo with Kayla head (Picture Thread here)
Xiaoli and Kaia together (Picture Thread Here)
Jess, Cindy, and Pinky (TeddyBabes) (Picture Thread Here)
Maddie - WM158G #233 (Picture Thread Here)
Romi - FunWest FWD078 (Picture Thread Here]

Kimbrafan

Post by Kimbrafan »

If people are attracted to fictional characters in movies and video games..some that look human others that don't that means that human sexuality is complex.

Sex and love are two different things.

Why do men build female robots?
Easy to find out, men for the most part are more visual and let's be honest here more men are into robotics.

Men love the female anatomy soo much that they want to build one . Whether women view it as sexism or just plain wrong...it's debatable.

In my opinion the Scarlett Johansson humanoid is hot but that doesn't mean that I don't find the real Scarlett Johansson attractive.

I think for most of us we would still want a real woman but a fembot would be nice for those lonely nights ;)

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

Karrot wrote:And creating a sex robot would simply mean designing it to perform sex. Seems pretty simple. It's still just a tool to do a job so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwvW5jADT90 and the following five episodes wittily cover a lot of ground.

Best wishes

Harem
Latest reviews coming for Irontech and FJ doll silicone ladies.

Chloé's book
is available from The-Doll-House
- - - -
Here's Coverdoll Yolanda
- - - -
Reviews for:
-DS-OR-JY-SY-Jarliet-Vivid-SM-SE-ZOne-JM-Sino-Sanhui-Pipedream--XY-WM-Elsa Babe-SM Silicone Siliko-XYcolo-Starpery-Elsa Babe-FutureDoll-Zelex-Irontech-FJ Doll
- - - -
YouTube Doll Review Channel
-https://www.youtube.com/@sexdoll-reviews-

LovesBlackWomen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LovesBlackWomen »

I would love to discuss robotics.
I would also love to travel to England; I would pay my own airfare.
So if you're having a big event in England, robotics or something else, I'd like to come.

ns001
Documentary & TV
Documentary & TV

Post by ns001 »

All interesting points.

One of the criticisms I've seen a few times is that being attracted to humanoids and being attracted to actual humans will be mutually exclusive. Is what you're saying that they'll complement eachother?

Who do we think is gonna be the next celebrity humanoid?

Kimbrafan wrote:If people are attracted to fictional characters in movies and video games..some that look human others that don't that means that human sexuality is complex.

Sex and love are two different things.

Why do men build female robots?
Easy to find out, men for the most part are more visual and let's be honest here more men are into robotics.

Men love the female anatomy soo much that they want to build one . Whether women view it as sexism or just plain wrong...it's debatable.

In my opinion the Scarlett Johansson humanoid is hot but that doesn't mean that I don't find the real Scarlett Johansson attractive.

I think for most of us we would still want a real woman but a fembot would be nice for those lonely nights ;)

ns001
Documentary & TV
Documentary & TV

Post by ns001 »

I was actually quite impressed with the Scar-bot's movement and likeness, considering he built it himself! Though you guys probably have higher standards than I do when it comes to realism. Is it complete fantasy to imagine a point in the future when AI and consciousness blur, in your opinion?
Karrot wrote:Second one, Meh. man makes a robot that looks vaguely like an actress. The article says nothing much to be fair. Well done to the bloke for making it and getting it to work, it's am impressive thing to do.

The first one however. ./le sigh.........

People touching a mechanical looking robot in intimate areas under instruction isn't a great test. I would think that the test subjects were probably more embarrassed about being asked to do this than actually doing it. Dr Kathleen Richardson is correct that simply measuring skin resistance and reactions shows very little.

But :twisted:
CASR has also received considerable publicity with its claims that human-robot sex could "further reinforce disturbing human lived experience".
I hope that's a typo, but whatever. Yes, they could send someone down the wrong path, but so can so many other stimuli available in every day life. Lets look at common clothing advertising for a moment shall we? It's one of the most damaging social aspects out there, forcing images of perfect men and women onto the masses and telling them that if they dont look like that, they arent beautiful. We allow that to continue in public, but an autonomous sexual outlet for private use is doing to drive society in to the ground?
"We are not proposing to extent rights to robots," a statement on the campaign group's website reads.
I'm sure every mass manufacturer in the world is glad to hear this. Imagine KX-4 down on Engines telling the boss it wasn't feeling particularly well lubricated and it was going home for the afternoon......

Robots are built for a purpose. If they fulfil that purpose they are a successful product.
"We do not see robots as conscious entities.
Again, correct. If they were then we would have a serious moral dilemma on our hands, creating what is effectively a new species capable of self awareness, judgement, and thought.
We propose instead that robots are a product of human consciousness and creativity and human power relationships are reflected in the production, design and proposed uses of these robots.
So what we are saying here is that we are the ones who define the limits of the capabilities of our own creations. And creating a sex robot would simply mean designing it to perform sex. Seems pretty simple. It's still just a tool to do a job so far.
"As a result, we oppose any efforts to develop robots that will contribute to gender inequalities in society."
Ah, there we go, the gender equality card. So make both male and female robots and then its fucking equal!

Karrot

ValarMorgulis
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by ValarMorgulis »

I just spoke to Nick. It went well. There were actually a couple of questions that made me pause to think before responding, but it was not that uncomfortable. And he is not a guy that is looking to make fun of us doll owners; he is trying to report on robotics advancements and how that will affect the sex doll industry, as well as discussing the potential for sex robots.
I will say that if (and it is a very long way off due to patent trolls and lack of funding) sex robots are mass produced I will buy one. It may, in time, be seen as similar to a car or home purchase.
ValarMorgulis, Galatologist.

Kimbrafan

Post by Kimbrafan »

ValarMorgulis wrote:I just spoke to Nick. It went well. There were actually a couple of questions that made me pause to think before responding, but it was not that uncomfortable. And he is not a guy that is looking to make fun of us doll owners; he is trying to report on robotics advancements and how that will affect the sex doll industry, as well as discussing the potential for sex robots.
I will say that if (and it is a very long way off due to patent trolls and lack of funding) sex robots are mass produced I will buy one. It may, in time, be seen as similar to a car or home purchase.
I'm glad robots are becoming more "mainstream" and documentaries like these might lower the fear of this technology.

I will definitely buy one too

ValarMorgulis
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by ValarMorgulis »

Also, being the kind of person that I am, I will rarely ask another to do something dangerous or uncomfortable if I am not willing to do it myself. Working at SakuraCon Logistics Division this meant that a couple of weeks back when we needed to be up on a ladder to change lights over two stories up, I volunteered and started climbing while people were discussing who should go up.
In the same way, I will volunteer to be filmed should Nick want or need a TDF member from the NW of the US, and I told him so.
ValarMorgulis, Galatologist.

ns001
Documentary & TV
Documentary & TV

Post by ns001 »

What do you guys think would be the pricepoint that could make them a "mainstream" product? Not in terms of what you could personally afford - more in terms of what they'd need to cost for people to see them as a serious option?

I must admit that I see price as being the greatest obstacle to their widespread adoption.

Kimbrafan

Post by Kimbrafan »

ns001 wrote:What do you guys think would be the pricepoint that could make them a "mainstream" product? Not in terms of what you could personally afford - more in terms of what they'd need to cost for people to see them as a serious option?

I must admit that I see price as being the greatest obstacle to their widespread adoption.
I feel like a payment plan would be the most affordable way for robots to go mainstream.

I'd also say if there's no payment plan then I would think less than $10,000 for robots to be in many homes.

Dolls to the walls
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dolls to the walls »

Kimbrafan wrote:
ns001 wrote:What do you guys think would be the pricepoint that could make them a "mainstream" product? Not in terms of what you could personally afford - more in terms of what they'd need to cost for people to see them as a serious option?

I feel like a payment plan would be the most affordable way for robots to go mainstream.

I'd also say if there's no payment plan then I would think less than $10,000 for robots to be in many homes.
That's a very good point.

Manufacturers will have to pair up with finance companies, so buyers purchasing something

close to the cost of a new car will have a shot.

DTW

ns001
Documentary & TV
Documentary & TV

Post by ns001 »

Ah yes payment plans are a good way to do it.

Price of a new car, DTW? That's a whole lot of money. If people were forking out for a robot as expensive as that, do you think they'd expect it to do more than just offer love, companionship and sex?

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

ns001 wrote:Ah yes payment plans are a good way to do it.

Price of a new car, DTW? That's a whole lot of money. If people were forking out for a robot as expensive as that, do you think they'd expect it to do more than just offer love, companionship and sex?
Hell yeah! Cooking and cleaning would be first on my list, but let's be reasonable. A new high end realistic sex doll already costs about $8k. A Realbotix head by itself to go on such a doll is rumored to cost about $10k. Add walking, grasping, and other abilities, most of which do not yet exist, and $50k sounds like a low estimate to me. If she were THAT good, I could stay home while she works. Anything remotely resembling the bots on the "Humans" TV show is going to cost upwards of six figures. IMHO.

INFORMATIONS