exdollofficial.com

Baby powder vs. Talcum powder

The EXDOLL company manufactures high quality, high-end and lifelike silicone dolls. They have been focused on bringing the best silicone sex doll to market since 2009. Every single doll, from the Utopia collection to the RealClone collection, manufactured by EXDOLL, are the fruits of their ingenuity, creativity, and commitment. As EXDOLL has customers in over 100 countries, they remain dedicated to achieving their original purpose of "making the customer's dreams come true". It is their honor to bring you the perfect doll. Either you want a love doll or a collectible art, they will never hesitate to make it happen for you. English Website:https://www.exdollofficial.com/

Moderator: jiayi

Terl
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Baby powder vs. Talcum powder

Post by Terl »

Hello everyone. Please share your experience, what is better to use - talcum powder or baby powder?

dragonfly8878
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Baby powder vs. Talcum powder

Post by dragonfly8878 »

Terl wrote:Hello everyone. Please share your experience, what is better to use - talcum powder or baby powder?
I believe most people use corn starch or baby powder based on corn starch. Some avoid talcum powder because it might be abrasive. Lem did a very detailed examination of various powders used on dolls here:
http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... Lem+powder
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams." ~Willy Wonka

Terl
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Terl »

But there is a problem, the manufacturer recommends talcum or something named bath powder (I don't know what is this): "After the surface is dry, put bath powder or talcum powder on the doll". There is nothing about corn starch.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

"Baby Powder" is usually used on the label for corn starch based powders to distinguish it from Talcum Powder (and the corn starch you get in the baking section, even though it's exactly the same stuff). Although not all manufacturers follow this tenant. "Always read the label before buying".
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

dragonfly8878
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dragonfly8878 »

Terl wrote:But there is a problem, the manufacturer recommends talcum or something named bath powder (I don't know what is this): "After the surface is dry, put bath powder or talcum powder on the doll". There is nothing about corn starch.
Some manufacturer's do recommend talcum powder. I'm fairly certain that they're not recommending talcum powder over baby powder (corn starch), but rather that they're recommending that their dolls be powdered in general. Powdering silicone or TPE absorbs excess oils that might leak out, as well as removing any tacky sensation on the surface that increases friction and could lead to surface abrasions.

Most bath powders I looked into used corn starch or a combination of corn starch and talc.
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams." ~Willy Wonka

Terl
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Terl »

Oh, so much theory, people, what are you using daily? What powder goes well with silicone and does not spoil it? Please do not spare words and technical subtleties. Thank you.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Well if you're not sure, consider this: Cornstarch is edible, talc really isn't. ;)
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Pumpster
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pumpster »

As a new doll owner I haven't been powdering my dolls much but now that I started to do so because I got fed up as dolls were such a dust magnets, I'm wondering that why silicone starts to feel tacky again after couple of days (despite using generous amount of baby powder and carefully brushing it in) and skin starts to gather dust again? Or does the skin take in more powder the first times and then I can go weeks without powdering? I understand that baby powder should be best for DS silicone.

hollows+fentiman
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by hollows+fentiman »

You'll find on other threads on this subject that recent studies found a connection with health problems, mainly in women, from the use of talcum powder which is a mineral. It is a minor risk but that's why manufacturers of 'baby' powders started to switch to corn starch as the main base (although some still have a reduced amount of 'talc' in them). Corn starch or corn flour is safer to use (or so it seems!) because of the risk of inhalation as well when you powder the dolls and, as Szalinski says, if you like licking or kissing after powdering corn starch is edible!
Ashaki Sanura's Family Adventures (WM168 Nava) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=77571

Tanice & Jacey WM168A (Lovedolls Grace Williams & #64 heads)
Vivette 153 Vivid Doll
Rosheen WM 156B
Tarni Kimber Doll
Rusty Firedoll 166
Chiyoko 6YE 170
Reema Piperdoll 162
ETesse PIB Spinner 2.0 silicone
Yi nu de & Yong DS100
Many Phicen, Jiaou, LD, Barbie and Ken Dolls!

Pumpster
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pumpster »

Yes I have read about dangers of baby powder but I find it strange that it is allowed to be sold and used on babies if it's so dangerous :o Here the only thing to replace baby powder would be potato flour and I think it isn't as clean as baby powder and may contain yeast/other micro-organisms that help mold growth if in contact with moisture. But the main thing I wanted to know is that is it normal for new dolls to require more frequent powdering in the beginning? :D

hollows+fentiman
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

The health problems with talc were, I believe, internal for women (which shouldn't be a problem for dolls!). However, if you read the label on baby powder is does give a warning to avoid contact with the face! The first one I got for my dolls says "As with all talcs, keep away from a baby's nose and mouth. Close the lid after use and keep out of reach of children"!
Potato starch is not recommended. You should be able to get corn flour however (look on Wikipedia, it's the same as corn starch).

Vivette 153 Vivid Doll
Rosheen WM 156B
Tarni Kimber Doll
Rusty Firedoll 166
Chiyoko 6YE 170
Reema Piperdoll 162
Yi nu de & Yong DS100

Dollfriend
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: TPE Land, just a few miles east of Silicone Valley...

Post by Dollfriend »

From my experience the same amount of powdering will always be needed, especially after cleaning and drying, eventually a Silicone or a TPE Doll will become sticky to the touch if no powdering is done at all. All work and no Powder leaves Babydoll sticky, and Yes from everything I have seen use Cornstarch not Baby Powder..... :turn-l: I have noticed the some newer types of TPE (onaholes, not Dolls) do not seem to need any Powdering to keep from being sticky, not sure if this applies to the Doll World Yet. maby in the Future.

jiayi
Management
Management

Post by jiayi »

Corn starch from the grocery store is the only thing I use.
Jiayi

Pumpster
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pumpster »

Dollfriend wrote:From my experience the same amount of powdering will always be needed, especially after cleaning and drying, eventually a Silicone or a TPE Doll will become sticky to the touch if no powdering is done at all. All work and no Powder leaves Babydoll sticky, and Yes from everything I have seen use Cornstarch not Baby Powder..... :turn-l:
So why is that I see others saying that dolls need powdering maybe every 2 weeks or 1 month when my doll becomes a bit sticky in 2-3 days and sucks in all dust&dirt the same as if not powdered at all? :o Seems a bit too much work to be powdering every 2 days...

hollows+fentiman
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Hi Pumpster, you may find the frequency will reduce over time! If it's TPE, the 'tackiness' is the oily chemical used in the making process. This will reduce after a month or two but will never go away entirely! You'll also find when you wash your doll and it dries the tackiness seems more. That's because you've just washed off the surface powder (and everything else ) that was keeping it at bay! My silicone mini dolls are very 'sticky' after a good wash but with a powder they feel.......

Vivette 153 Vivid Doll
Rosheen WM 156B
Tarni Kimber Doll
Rusty Firedoll 166
Chiyoko 6YE 170
Reema Piperdoll 162
Yi nu de & Yong DS100

INFORMATIONS