sexyrealsexdolls.com

Lighting Technique (ripped from Stacy Leigh)

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

GreatSoul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Lighting Technique (ripped from Stacy Leigh)

Post by GreatSoul »

A few members here have asked me what lighting I use for my BT Cadence pics so thought it would be a good idea to share it here (few things are worse than getting on TDA and seeing pics with very bad lighting :P). This is one of the techniques S. uses to light her subjects (or at least did at one time). Thanks to 1jayjay for posting this info under the 'Best Friends Cadence And Melody' thread, which is how I found out about it.

I use 2-3 'clamp' lights that can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot or whatever home store is in your area. Bulbs are 18W 'natural daylight' type and can also be purchased at the home stores.
Make sure the bulb package says 'Natural Daylight' and not 'Floodlight'
Make sure the bulb package says 'Natural Daylight' and not 'Floodlight'
c 003.JPG (352.28 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
One caveat with this approach: These lights can create nasty shadows that aren't easy to manage without Photoshop. About half the time you can maneuver the lights to get the shadow effect you want or eliminate them entirely, but then there's that other half the time. :(

So if you have Photoshop and know how to edit that will help a lot (just starting to learn editing myself now).

Unedited pic with shadows where I wanted them:

Unedited pic with unwanted shadows:

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Lighting Technique (ripped from Stacy Leigh)

Post by 1jayjay »

For my money, lighting is the key to a decent image, if you get the lighting right, usually the rest will follow. :)

There's nothing more frustrating than taking a great shot and then seeing it has a blemish that takes away that certian magic of it. I love that first illustration of the nip shadow on Cadee. :thumbs_up: But I just like the first pic period! :D :P I have to say...What shadow on the second pic! :razz: :P It's one of those instances where it doesn't spoil the pic, but it is frustrating.

Thanks for the info, the lighting techniques you use all add up to ace images, great work GS. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Longshot

Post by Longshot »

In this recent photo by Stacy I just love the way the shadows contrast with the highlights in Crystal’s hair. GreatSoul it would seem that you are “ripping” your lighting technique from a master. :)

May your roots be strong and your branches free to wander.

Here is my Amber’s Doll Album: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13424

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

GreatSoul wrote: (few things are worse than getting on TDA and seeing pics with very bad lighting :P).
:oops:

life-is-plastic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by life-is-plastic »

better to avoid nasty shadows from the start ... it beats having to work on the images in PS

you could try and soften the lights a bit (bit of thin paper or neutral colored fabric would do the trick / beware of the temperature tho) ... although shadowplay won't be easy with softer light

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

interesting...

I love shadows.

go figure.

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

Longshot wrote:In this recent photo by Stacy I just love the way the shadows contrast with the highlights in Crystal’s hair. GreatSoul it would seem that you are “ripping” your lighting technique from a master. :)

thank you...xo

Usually I think flat lighting sucks, IMO... hence the shadows.

-S

rojo62
Former Member

Post by rojo62 »

I've been trying a number of things to get better lighting in my shots. I've even used the lights Great Soul is talking about but they are a bit harsh on my doll's fair complexion. I like shadows but, sometimes they are hard to manipulate. I would rather get a good shot with the camera in the first place than have to edit it later. Sometimes I get lucky but, it would help to know a few tricks from a pro like Stacy. I really like how you light your sets Stacy. Got any tips on how you do that?

Example would be the shots of Crystal. (I love those pictures of Crystal!)

Thanks in advance -- Rojo

GreatSoul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by GreatSoul »

stacy718 wrote:Usually I think flat lighting sucks, IMO... hence the shadows.
Are you still using the clamp lights or nada?

rojo62 wrote:I've been trying a number of things to get better lighting in my shots. I've even used the lights Great Soul is talking about but they are a bit harsh on my doll's fair complexion.
You can 'feather' the lighting, use a warmer background, or if your camera has the 'Live' feature you can warm her up with that.

Shot 'Live':

GreatSoul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by GreatSoul »

1jayjay wrote:There's nothing more frustrating than taking a great shot and then seeing it has a blemish that takes away that certian magic of it.
That may have happened to me once or twice....don't remember. :? :mrgreen:

Thanks jay and right on. Good lighting + good pose + good angle = great shot.

Speaking of shadows: Note that if you peruse the pages of Penthouse or Playboy, most of the pics have been edited to be a clean shadow-free image (so I hear). I do agree that the neck shadow in the Crystal pic is right on. Sometimes shadows work, but then sometimes not (imo).

Stacy: Wasn't aware that you were ill and wish you a quick and full recovery. Also very sorry to hear that your mom passed. :cry:

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by 1jayjay »

GreatSoul wrote:[Speaking of shadows: Note that if you peruse the pages of Penthouse or Playboy, most of the pics have been edited to be a clean shadow-free image (so I hear). I do agree that the neck shadow in the Crystal pic is right on. Sometimes shadows work, but then sometimes not (imo).

Stacy: Wasn't aware that you were ill and wish you a quick and full recovery. Also very sorry to hear that your mom passed. :cry:

I love, worship and adore the beautiful girls of Playboy. :D Penthouse, I don't really know all that much about, still pretty damned, ace from the little I know of them though! :P The Playboy centrefolds are so stunning, even with the picture editing that goes on, but I'd love to see them in their natural state. :)

I don't really know what to say. Very sorry to hear about your mother Stacy.

GreatSoul wrote:
1jayjay wrote:There's nothing more frustrating than taking a great shot and then seeing it has a blemish that takes away that certian magic of it.
That may have happened to me once or twice....don't remember. :? :mrgreen:

I I wish I had a penny for every time I'd done that GS! :haha2: :haha2:

GreatSoul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by GreatSoul »

1jayjay wrote:The Playboy centrefolds are so stunning, even with the picture editing that goes on, but I'd love to see them in their natural state. :)
No you wouldn't. :lol: :P

Ya know, I was just thinking that I had absolutely no interest in photograhy at all before little Cadence arrived. Yet from the minute she hit the door I couldn't stop taking pics and it's just such incredible fun (but sometimes annoying too).

Really looking forward to those CD pics buddy and thanks. :)

RaDiv
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RaDiv »

GreatSoul wrote:I was just thinking that I had absolutely no interest in photograhy at all before little Cadence arrived. Yet from the minute she hit the door I couldn't stop taking pics and it's just such incredible fun (but sometimes annoying too).
You're a natural talent, GS :)

You're not alone. Before I became a dollowner I had nada interest in photography. I had a cheap old coalfired camera which pictures looked like shit. Not useful for other things than throwing after the neighbor.

Unwanted shadows sucks. Maybe a couple of stands for your lamps could come in handy?

Cadee looks really hot in those blue stockings. More of that please :wink:
She told me to come but I was already there

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by 1jayjay »

GreatSoul wrote:
1jayjay wrote:The Playboy centrefolds are so stunning, even with the picture editing that goes on, but I'd love to see them in their natural state. :)
No you wouldn't. :lol: :P

Ha ha, yeah, you could be right. :lol: :P Although the Shannon twins have just finished a tv reality show here in the UK, they do look stunning. :P I can just about tell them apart now! :mrgreen: this is Kristina - I think! :lol!:
z77.jpg
z77.jpg (58.75 KiB) Viewed 5720 times

GreatSoul wrote:Ya know, I was just thinking that I had absolutely no interest in photograhy at all before little Cadence arrived. Yet from the minute she hit the door I couldn't stop taking pics and it's just such incredible fun (but sometimes annoying too).

Yeah, it's amazing how addictive it becomes, but in a good way. :) Misty is a photographic model. I tried with camera clubs, prior to Misty's arrival, but didn't get the results I was looking for, which was all my fault not the model girls. So when Misty arrived, she suited my needs, and I more or less achieved the sort of results I was hoping for, I suppose we suit each others styles. But the good thing is, about your photography GS, is we get to see some brilliant stunning shots of the fantastic Cadee. :thumbs_up: I have to say, RaDiv hit the nail on the head, you have a great natural abilty and it shines through in Cadee's images. :turn-l: It's so good to see one with a brilliant talent, but combination of the two of you together make some very sweet photos. :smilecolros:

GreatSoul wrote:

Really looking forward to those CD pics buddy and thanks. :)

Thanks buddy, :scatter: I hope they appeal to the guy 'n' dolls, we enjoyed the shoot, even though as you say, at times it's frustrating. There's 29 images, with one or two stand out ones amonget those, so hopefully there's a bit of something in there for everyone. It should be on CoverDoll on the 10th of February. :D The timing is just right, since Misty came into my life seven years ago on the 17th of Feb, so it's a nice way to celebrate her birthday/anniversary. :glou:

GreatSoul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by GreatSoul »

1jayjay wrote: Misty is a photographic model.
I could grab just about any of her images, but this stands as the finest ass shot I've ever seen on this site (imo).

I think that's some broad you were dating at the time and certainly not a doll. :P

INFORMATIONS