sexyrealsexdolls.com

Turning A Photo Into An Oil Painting

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

b-man
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Turning A Photo Into An Oil Painting

Post by b-man »

I thought I'd try my hand at doing a Photoshop Tutorial. This is a technique I made up for turning a photo into an oil portrait.
Start by opening a photo. I set it's size to 800x1000
Oil Paint01.JPG
Oil Paint01.JPG (134.33 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Next, duplicate the background layer by draging the layer to the new layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette, or using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl (Command on a Mac)/J then go to to filter>blur>surface blur, I used the settings: Radius 20, Threshhold 15, (the settings may vary depending on your image)
Oil Paint02.JPG
Oil Paint02.JPG (129.05 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Click OK
Next, I added some saturation to the colors by going to: Image>adjustments>hue-saturation or keyboard shortcut Ctrl-U and set the saturation to 30
Oil Paint03.JPG
Oil Paint03.JPG (136.08 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Click Ok
Now go to filter>Texture>Texturizer, select canvas as the texture, set the scale to around 64, the relief to 2, and the direction to top left
Oil Paint04.JPG
Oil Paint04.JPG (152.95 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Don't Click OK yet.
Click on the new fx layer icon at the bottom of the pallette, (circled in red), click on the triangle next to the artistic filters and select dry brush:
Oil Paint05.JPG
Oil Paint05.JPG (165.99 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
I used 2 for my brush size, and set the brush detail to 9, don't click OK yet either.
Click once more on the new fx layer icon and select the texturizer again:
Oil Paint06.JPG
Oil Paint06.JPG (208.06 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
This time set the scaling to 99, and the relief to 4
Click OK
Merge the layers by either right-clicking on the layers pallette and selecting merge visable, or using the keyboard short cut Ctrl-E.
Here's the final result
Pink Nightie01.jpg
Pink Nightie01.jpg (321.99 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Pretty simple eh?
"I'm always in bed by eight and home by eleven"-Glen Quagmire

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Turning A Photo Into An Oil Painting

Post by 1jayjay »

Great work b-man, thanks for the explanation, and images. :D

GFELube
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by GFELube »

woohoo, thanks b-man!
:multi:

b-man
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by b-man »

Nice work GFE, now if you like, here's one I got from a site called PSHERO. This ones a little more involved, but still pretty easy. First I'll start with the same pic of Chloe.
Toon01.JPG
Toon01.JPG (142.24 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Then, I want to bump the res up some. For this press Ctrl/Alt/I and set it at: 1440X1800
Toon02.JPG
Toon02.JPG (155.4 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Click OK. Next, press Ctrl/J and duplicate the layer and apply the surface blur as before, I used the same settings.
Toon03.JPG
Toon03.JPG (137.57 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Click Ok.
Duplicate that layer and press Ctrl/Shift/U to desaturate it, removing the color
Toon04.JPG
Toon04.JPG (130.69 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Click on the Channels tab at the top of the layers pallette and Ctrl/Click on the RGB layer selecting the lumonous (light)areas of the layer.
Toon05.JPG
Toon05.JPG (131.59 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Go back to the layers tab, click on the add new layer icon at the bottom of the pallette, (the one next to the trash can), press Ctrl/Shift/I to invert the selection. Set the foreground color to black, (Press D on the keyboard to set the colors to default). Press Alt/delete to fill the dark area with black. Press Ctrl/D to deselect.
Toon06.JPG
Toon06.JPG (128.63 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Click on the eye of the top two layers to hide them, select layer one, go to filters>Artisitc>Poster Edges. Set Edge Thickness to 2, Edge Intensisty to 0, and posterization to 2: note, sometimes I found the posterization at two makes the shadows a little funky, when that happens, I set it at 1.
Toon07.JPG
Toon07.JPG (137.18 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Press Ctrl/J to duplicate layer one and set it's blend mode to soft light
Toon08.JPG
Toon08.JPG (162.13 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
this gives it a more saturated look. Now turn the visibility of the second layer from the top back on by clicking the box where the eye was and select it. Then go to, Filter>Artistic>Poster Edges again and this time set Edge Thickness to 1, Edge Intensity to 1, and Posterization to 1 and click OK.
Toon09.JPG
Toon09.JPG (139 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Set the blend mode for this layer to Pin Light. Turn the top layer's visibility back on and Ctrl/Click the layers thumbnail and create a layer mask by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the layers pallette, go to Filters>Pixalate>Color HalfTone, set the Max. Radius to 6, and leave everything else at default and click OK
Toon10.JPG
Toon10.JPG (162.95 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Press Ctrl/I to invert the colors of the mask, then click on the layer and set it's blend mode to soft light.
Toon11.JPG
Toon11.JPG (183.59 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Sometimes, the image ends up a little dark, when it does, add a curves adjustment layer by clicking on the the curves icon in the adjustments pallette and pushing the curves from the center towards the top left corner a little bit until you get the brightness and contrast you like.
Toon12.JPG
Toon12.JPG (184.7 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Toon13.JPG
Toon13.JPG (191.17 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
And finally, once you get everything the way you like it, press Ctrl/Shift/E to flatten the layers, then press Ctrl/Alt/I and set the res back to 800X1000, Click OK, and you should get something like this:
Pink Nightie02.jpg
Pink Nightie02.jpg (236.17 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
I added the border after the dust settled, I can show you that too if you like. As I said, a few more steps involved, but still pretty easy and it looks kinda cool, I think 8)
"I'm always in bed by eight and home by eleven"-Glen Quagmire

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

Great thread, B-man. Well written and displayed.

Of course everything but my Teddy Babe WAS an oil painting :)
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by 1jayjay »

It just got even better! 8O brilliant work. thanks b-man. Agree 100% with Midi, the pics with the explanation, simply ace, thanks again a very informative thread. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I have just added it to my favourites for future reference. :D

In all that excitement, I nearly forgot to say Chloe is a stunning, a real masters oil painting. :) :wink:

INFORMATIONS