Thanks LJ69. We aren't still finished :fadein:

- SF -

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Integrated Bluetooth speaker

Post by avante »

This is a pretty awesome idea man!

Wonder tho: you've like scalped the top of her head right?
Is the inside just one big cavity like on your pics, or did you get stuff out?
How'd you cut the 'skull' out?
And did you make any alterations to have it fit properly again?
How do you rate the sound; I mean does it sounds like she's moaning and stuff, and are there any negatives?
New in: IT 164+ the curves are real: viewtopic.php?p=2475683#p2475683
My doll experience : WM 158D tales & pics: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=85063&start=465

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

avante wrote:This is a pretty awesome idea man!

Wonder tho: you've like scalped the top of her head right?
Is the inside just one big cavity like on your pics, or did you get stuff out?
How'd you cut the 'skull' out?
And did you make any alterations to have it fit properly again?
How do you rate the sound; I mean does it sounds like she's moaning and stuff, and are there any negatives?
Yes, I scalped the top of head due to a repair job on the head release mechanism which started to fail http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=163&t=79196
The head shell is made of fiberglass and it's hollow inside, don't know how other doll heads are constructed but I can't imagine that they make full TPE/silicone heads.
The sound quality increased compared to the original speaker sound but this special mod wasn't that easy to do and it was a great chance (!!) that the 'sound cap' fitted perfectly.
The most worst is to remove a speaker from a doll head (pairing, charging) and the Philips was just perfect for this purpose.

- SF -

DollFan789

Post by DollFan789 »

The images aren't showing up :(

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Topic will be rebuild.

- SF -

mawfiiatd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mawfiiatd »

Just wondering if the 'rebuild' of the topic was ever done? I found a link to this thread in another thread and I'm very interested in adding audio to a doll (or two, or three).
"Wake me up when robot wives are cheap and plentiful"

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hi dear 4woods friends,

Hey sweetie, I wanna talk to you!!
Yeah, that's what Mia told to me yesterday morning 8O
How to interpret this statement? Okay, I will tell you the background of the whole story.
It takes some time to explain what happened so please better take some drinks before you start to continue reading.
When you're just interested in the technical part you can omit the introduction but in all the love to dolls please take your time and read this chapter.

Introduction
You know, usually dolls don't talk and never ask questions. They're quit and patient companions without treating you with bad comments, yelling, screaming or other 'functions' available on flesh-based dolls. However, seen from the more intimate side, dolls can't seduce with lovely words while you hug and snuggle with them on cozy moments.
really-pl-ffffff-3.jpeg
really-pl-ffffff-3.jpeg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
There's the virtual girlfriend Kari 4 PRO which is an outstanding software with fully customizable text configurations and settings. Just take your time and rework all the sentences and with the upcoming time, she (or your doll) will become a fast learning and truly great companion.
Recently there's another new exciting release from Realbotix and this team has launched the Harmony AI app which is currently based on the Android OS.
So curious about this news I decided to register and to go for a yearly based app subscription. Okay, sorry that I derived a bit to the RealDoll's world but this app works fine on my S5 smartphone so I created the first avatar for our team member Amy Pesley and tested the app with a portable Bluetooth speaker. It amazed me that much that I ordered the Realbotix Bluetooth speaker kit for Amy's skull and here we come to the point of the story.......Mia checked my mails and noticed the invoice from my order.
She said: Hey sweetie, I wanna talk to you!!

So far I succeeded to calm her (I fully understand that she was angry about me) and I created a second avatar for Mia Okinawa but she didn't like the portable Bluetooth speaker and told me that she also wants her own integrated Bluetooth speaker.

The challenge goes on
Mia's head is a very unique piece, she has an 'access hatch' to maintain the interior of her skull:
Removable 'access hatch'.
Removable 'access hatch'.
20161215_182159.jpg (213.47 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Detail view.
Detail view.
20161216_190155.jpg (335.46 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
So far, I only need to get this Bluetooth speaker in this opening but the Philips BT100W was to high to fit inside.
Philips BT100 W
Philips BT100 W
Philips BT100W.png (95.94 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Still a few weeks old, I decided to 'salvage' the speaker until it fits in this space.
3 screws held the bottom cover and revealed the circuit board which was also fixed with 2 screws. Under it, a lithium-ion battery appeared but her life will end very soon.
I started my fight with this very nasty double-faced tape with which this small power pack was secured. Finally, I damaged the battery and this part became useless :? . Not worth to mention that the warranty declaration doesn't cover this brutal demolition act. The last step was the removal of 3 other screws which freed the heavy speaker.

With the help of CAD-software, a digital caliper, a ruler and some ingenious imagination I solved to create a new custom speaker skull cap without modifying the original 'access hatch cover'.

The making
With the help of my CNC-milling machine the skull cap project was ready to be created, part by part an interesting work.
A CNC-milling machine in action.
A CNC-milling machine in action.
20170523_111459.jpg (637.03 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Working layers.
Working layers.
Screenshot1.jpg (212.52 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Finished parts.
Finished parts.
20170523_133955.jpg (423.73 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Continuation follows...

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

The first test fit
After deburring all parts a first test fit confirmed that the planning was flawlessly done and the new kit is ready to be assembled.
The most critical step was to evenly adapt the hatch to the inner fiberglass structure and it took me some time till it was perfectly adapted.
1st test fit: there was quite some rework until the speaker insert was perfectly in place.
1st test fit: there was quite some rework until the speaker insert was perfectly in place.
20170523_171414.jpg (405.23 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
The speaker is now installed.
The speaker is now installed.
20170523_171642.jpg (372.04 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
The speaker protection screen needs some adjustment work.
The speaker protection screen needs some adjustment work.
20170523_171701.jpg (490.14 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
The cover plate gives a smooth skull shape.
The cover plate gives a smooth skull shape.
20170523_171834.jpg (393.29 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
The mainboard of the BT100: Bluetooth connection test.
The mainboard of the BT100: Bluetooth connection test.
20170523_181101.jpg (517.53 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
USB power cable: inside the skull.
USB power cable: inside the skull.
20170523_181121.jpg (751.45 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
USB power cable: outside the skull.<br />It's still possible to insert a narrower dowel to activate the quick-release mechanism.
USB power cable: outside the skull.
It's still possible to insert a narrower dowel to activate the quick-release mechanism.
20170523_181748.jpg (398.38 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Due to the fact that I 'destroyed' the lithium-ion battery while dissembling the new speaker this 5200 mAh USB power bank is a good alternative.<br />Later, I ordered a new BT100W and this time the lithium-ion battery survived :-)
Due to the fact that I 'destroyed' the lithium-ion battery while dissembling the new speaker this 5200 mAh USB power bank is a good alternative.
Later, I ordered a new BT100W and this time the lithium-ion battery survived :-)
20170523_181817.jpg (374.75 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Mia's Bluetooth speaker skull cap
DSC01946.jpg
DSC01946.jpg (341.54 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
DSC01949.jpg
DSC01949.jpg (375.45 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
DSC01951.jpg
DSC01951.jpg (306.24 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
DSC01954.jpg
DSC01954.jpg (394.85 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
The Philips BT100W Bluetooth speaker sounded great when hidden behind the dolls head: WOW
The speaker assy integrated into the doll's skull...in doll language: WOW WOW WOW!!
When you're behind the doll it really sounds like a lifelike person voice, incredible!!

Now it comes to the final assembly and finishing touch.

Continuation follows...

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Final assembly and finishing touch
Airbrushed the cover assy with Tamiya XF-15.
Airbrushed the cover assy with Tamiya XF-15.
DSC01955.jpg (544.91 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Final assembly.
Final assembly.
DSC01959.jpg (413.43 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Mia can choose between 2 skull covers LOL.
Mia can choose between 2 skull covers LOL.
DSC01961.jpg (431.72 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
The final look. Hidden under the wig, this speaker insert isn't noticeable and doesn't harm the doll.
The final look. Hidden under the wig, this speaker insert isn't noticeable and doesn't harm the doll.
DSC01964.jpg (528.02 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
The goal was to not modifying the original 'access hatch cover' so nothing was destroyed and can easily be reconverted back but I think sweetie Mia has her own stupid head and I let her decide :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do it, try it, enjoy it!

mawfiiatd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mawfiiatd »

Oh, wow. That is awesome. Nice work! I hope the Harmony AI is working well with it.
"Wake me up when robot wives are cheap and plentiful"

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

That's an innovative approach, I didn't know anyone else was seriously looking at this mod. My mod wasn't as fancy, but she talks and hears Bluetooth.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121089
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

mawfiiatd wrote:Oh, wow. That is awesome. Nice work! I hope the Harmony AI is working well with it.
Finally, the topics are back for sharing :D Thanks for your patience!!
Harmony AI worked well but I switched to the RealDoll X & X Mode app due to the robotic head I've ordered (the Harmony AI development's no more continued). Concerning the 4Woods doll, it was great fun to plan and create this project and I still love to communicate with Mia.

- SF -

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Technician wrote:That's an innovative approach, I didn't know anyone else was seriously looking at this mod. My mod wasn't as fancy, but she talks and hears Bluetooth.

I reviewed your topic...WOW, you've done a great job on Bubbles!! Your mod's more sophisticated by integrating microphones :thumbs_up:
So cool what people share to improve dolls :glou:

- SF -

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

siliconefun wrote:
Technician wrote:That's an innovative approach, I didn't know anyone else was seriously looking at this mod. My mod wasn't as fancy, but she talks and hears Bluetooth.

I reviewed your topic...WOW, you've done a great job on Bubbles!! Your mod's more sophisticated by integrating microphones :thumbs_up:
So cool what people share to improve dolls :glou:

- SF -
Thank you! The mod I did would be easily repeatable by you, but you'd likely do it cleaner. My first version had the speaker in back sort of like yours but I wanted the sound to come more naturally from her mouth. In the beginning I was happy with just a speaker but when I realized there were bt speakers with microphone that worked with my AI the ears quickly became a necessity so the phone wasn't bumbling around in bed with us.
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

INFORMATIONS