www.wmdolls.com

WM Dolls noisy neck partial fix

WM dolls was establish on 2012, we have own production base (located center of Greater Bay Area, Guangdong, China), which is one of the most professional and the biggest factory of realistic sex dolls in the world.
As pioneered TPE used and many famous brands' dolls manufacturer, We have been focusing on customer experience, and continue to work hard to develop new functions for dolls.
We have many patents and independently developed exclusive functions, Such as Breathing feature, Ball Joints Hand Skeleton, Real Oral Sex(ROS) Head, etc.
dragonfly8878
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

WM Dolls noisy neck partial fix

Post by dragonfly8878 »

I just added some hardware to the threaded hollow neck bolt on my WM dolls and it reduced the rattling noise dramatically. The idea came from guitarpussy I believe. I tried unsuccessfully to find the original post. Apologies if I'm not giving credit to the person who had the idea first.

Anyway, the socket in the neck of a WM doll seems to be a metric M16. The threaded hollow neck bolt that screws into it however, seems to be slightly smaller. So the head can rattle when you move it, and it feels a little unstable.

So here's one solution. Prop the doll up with a pillow or something under her upper back so that the head can turn without rubbing on anything. Remove the head. Make sure that the threaded hollow neck bolt is screwed completely into the head. (I've noticed when I take a head off, the neck bolt usually stays with the body and not the head.) Add a regular metric M16 washer, then 2 metric M16 locking washers (split washers), then another regular metric M16 washer to the hollow neck bolt. Screw the head assembly back into the neck socket until it's just barely tight and the head feels stable. The TPE at the head and neck juncture should not be deformed a lot. It's probably a bad idea to over-tighten the head. (I tried this successfully on both a WM135 and WM163 doll. The WM135 doll might only need 1 metric M16 locking washer.)

Since regular washers are stamped out, they often have a more rounded side and a side with a sharper outer edge. I put the side with sharper outer edge inward toward the locking washers so they wouldn't damage the doll. Also, I aligned the splits on the locking washers on opposite sides of each other so the two regular washers were roughly parallel to each other. The regular washers I used have an outer diameter of 3.0cm and the locking washers have an outer diameter of 2.6cm.

I did try Teflon tape to solve the problem first. It wasn't thick enough to stop the rattling even with multiple wraps. Also, it got shredded immediately by the sharp threads of the hollow neck bolt and would have to be replaced constantly.

Concerning another neck issue, I was thinking that the creaking of the neck joint might be solved by adding a small amount of mineral oil to the joint, maybe with a long Q-tip. I believe Karrot has been using mineral oil on the skin of his photogenic WM doll without any problems so far. My dolls don't seem to be creaking very much, so admittedly I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: Fixed description.
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams." ~Willy Wonka

tubee
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: WM Dolls noisy neck partial fix

Post by tubee »

Anyway, the socket in the neck of a WM doll seems to be a metric M16. The threaded hollow neck bolt that screws into it however, seems to be slightly smaller.
If this is the case then the rattling will eventually destroy the threading of both the socket and the bolt. It's strange. Nuts and bolts are standardized. Maybe they are using pieces which aren't normally used together. I wonder if there is a mismatch of metric and inches?
ImageImagePatti and Nikki have many sisters here on TDF

2mnywmn
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by 2mnywmn »

Oh yes. I too have the creaking neck problem. Also, the head won't stay still. If I turn the head, it will just go back to the center since I don't have it on tight. I may try some kind of fix as well.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

2mnywmn wrote:Oh yes. I too have the creaking neck problem. Also, the head won't stay still. If I turn the head, it will just go back to the center since I don't have it on tight. I may try some kind of fix as well.
I was reading Karrot's review thread and noticed he is using some kind of rubber grommet to solve the loose head issue. Sounded like a good idea, just thought I'd mention it.

Tybalt
Ex-Member

Post by Tybalt »

df8878, can you show pic of neck with the bolts and washers so i can try.

KarmaMusic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by KarmaMusic »

SO would the Viola doll be M16 thread as well from YourDoll? As I have the same noisey issue too!
KarmaMusic Doll cuddler
Design Technologist

KarmaMusic Gallery
Image,Image,Image,Image,Image,Image,Image,Image

dragonfly8878
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dragonfly8878 »

tubee wrote:If this is the case then the rattling will eventually destroy the threading of both the socket and the bolt. It's strange. Nuts and bolts are standardized. Maybe they are using pieces which aren't normally used together. I wonder if there is a mismatch of metric and inches?
The threading is actually a pretty close match, just not close enough to be tight. The spacing of the threads seems to be the same. The hollow neck bolt can be screwed completely through a metric M16 nut all the way from one end to the other without binding. (This is starting to sound a little dirty. :roll: ) With normal usage I don't suspect there would be much damage to the threads if they were left alone. The threaded hollow neck bolt fits the socket in the head perfectly. I'm thinking that the hollow neck bolt and head socket are non-standard and have been appropriated from some other use.
2mnywmn wrote:Oh yes. I too have the creaking neck problem. Also, the head won't stay still. If I turn the head, it will just go back to the center since I don't have it on tight. I may try some kind of fix as well.
This will keep the head still in whatever position you pose it, because the locking washers are compressed a little. Without it there isn't much friction to stop the head from moving.
MannequinFan wrote:I was reading Karrot's review thread and noticed he is using some kind of rubber grommet to solve the loose head issue. Sounded like a good idea, just thought I'd mention it.
I could see that working too.
KarmaMusic wrote:SO would the Viola doll be M16 thread as well from YourDoll? As I have the same noisey issue too!
From what I understand, YourDoll and WM are friends and share the same neck design on their dolls. If so, this should work on a Viola as well.

tubee
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by tubee »

I hope a solution is found at the factory.

Mismatched parts may not be critical to the display mannequin portion of their business but it's important to the companion doll portion of their business. A clanking partner is a buzzkill.

dragonfly8878
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dragonfly8878 »

Tybalt wrote:df8878, can you show pic of neck with the bolts and washers so i can try.
Maybe I can make a simple figure of the head and neck bolt assembly.

.......\......................../.....Head
........-----------------------.......
.................|..|................Hollow Neck Bolt
................=====...............Regular Metric M16 Washer (sharp edge toward locking washers)
................~~~~~...............Metric M16 Locking Washer
................~~~~~...............Metric M16 Locking Washer (with split on opposite side *)
................=====...............Regular Metric M16 Washer (sharp edge toward locking washers)
.................|..|................Hollow Neck Bolt
..................---.................

* Because the locking washers aren't flat, but are thicker on the side that has the split, I rotated the second locking washer so it's thicker part was on the opposite side of the hollow neck bolt as the first. That way the 2 regular washers are roughly parallel to each other, instead of being all crooked.

The parts needed are 2 regular metric M16 washers and 2 metric M16 locking (split) washers. I had to go to a specialty hardware store to get them. The chain hardware stores like Home Depot and Ace probably don't carry enough metric stock to have them. They cost about $0.17 a piece, so it's an inexpensive solution. They could probably be ordered online, but the shipping would cost more than the parts.

ZiLi
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ZiLi »

I am not bothered by the noise , but more so because the neck is very loose.
it cannot be hold onto a fixed position , will revert back to original position easily .
especially when the doll is lay flat on the surface, the head will easily fall to the surface.

is it due to my doll is a defect? or every1 has the same problem?

tubee
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by tubee »

Hi Zili,

Just so people are clear are you talking about the neck itself? Or are you talking about the head spinning around on the neck? The locking washers used as described will keep the head from loosely turning around on the neck.

Here's a photo of my doll. The head is not touching the blanket.

INFORMATIONS