dollstudio.org

Project: Modifying a flawed Z-Onedoll silicone head

Dollstudio focuses on life-like dolls made of silicone and TPE, with products spanning from life-sized love dolls and manikins over miniature companions to 1/6 scale miniatures. Based in Europe, Dollstudio is an authorized vendor for respected manufacturers like Doll Sweet, Ruby13, Maidlee Doll, Dream Doll Creation, OR Doll, WM Dolls, YL Doll, JM Doll, Sanhui, Hitdoll, Onedoll, and Lovely Doll. By default, we're shipping from Germany with all customs and taxes cleared.
Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Project: Modifying a flawed Z-Onedoll silicone head

Post by Dollstudio »

Hi,

while still waiting for the replacement for the borked Z-Onedoll from last September, I started a little project to modify - and ideally fix - the flawed ZO-A13 head.

If you remember, the ZO-A13 head I got last month looked like this (left image), but it was supposed to look like the right one.

The head had quite a number of flaws, including:
  • teeth that looked as if someone kicked them in;
  • the mouth was distorted,
  • the oral cavity was not centered,
  • upper and lower eye lashes fall off,
  • the base plate sticks out, and
  • the eyes are hard to adjust.
Let's take a closer look at these issues and try to esolve them step by step.

1) Eye lashes.

They look like so:
DSC03743.JPG
DSC03743.JPG (553.15 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
DSC03748.JPG
DSC03748.JPG (575.49 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
I'll deal with them at the end as I want to try to make the eyes better moveable.

2) Oral cavity.

The distorted and misaligned mouth is probably the biggest issue. Since you can not melt down silicone like TPE, the only way to get some symmetry into the face is to carve out the mouth with a scalpel and scrissors.

I removed quite a lot of matter from the mouth:
DSC03753.JPG
DSC03753.JPG (524.21 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
From the outside, the mouth is now aligned and symmetric. The inside of the head… well, it now has some "texture":
DSC03755.JPG
DSC03755.JPG (419.61 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Fans of oral sex might enjoy the additional room and maybe even the "texture"; I don't know about that; my goal was not to fix the oral cavity but to make the head visually appealing on the outside.

3) Teeth.

This closeup of the upper teeth shows the teeth issue: As usual with TPE dolls, ZO has molded the head in one piece. The teeth probably stuck in the mold form and didn't come out in perfect shape.
DSC03752.JPG
DSC03752.JPG (399.25 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Because of issues like that, other silicone manufacturers like Doll Sweet make the head from multiple parts. The teeth are glued into the mouth when finishing the head. That allows truly white teeth by coloring them with intrinsic silicone pigments, and using a harder silicone for the teeth. But it is precision work and requires an additional step in manufacturing.

Approaches to solve this issue would be to either try to sculpture teeth on top of the flawed ones, or just to get rid of everything. I decided for the latter and just removed the teeth completely:
DSC03754.JPG
DSC03754.JPG (571.58 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
At a later point I might try to mold some teeth and add them back. For now it's good enough without upper teeth.

A side effect of carving out the head and cutting out the teeth was that the semi-permanent makeup rubbed off. Also a small tear showed up on left mouth angle. Both should be easy fixable at the end of this project.

4) Eye balls.

To figure out why the eye balls are so hard to adjust, I took them out.
DSC03749.JPG
DSC03749.JPG (516.07 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
That explains a lot. The eye balls are full-rounds, but the lower half is bigger. Obviously, that hinders the eye movement.

So in step one, I sanded the sides of the eye ball down with a Dremel.
DSC03757.JPG
DSC03757.JPG (545.96 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
DSC03758.JPG
DSC03758.JPG (600.72 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Step 2: Polishing, also with a Dremel. Result:
DSC03880.JPG
DSC03880.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1392 times
Now they move nicely, at least in the plastic eye sockets (which have almost zero friction).

Next I will try if powdering the silicone eye sockets suffices to allow a smooth movement. If not, I will try to encase the surface of the eye sockets with a smooth material with little friction.

To be continued…

Sandro
Dollstudio EU - Customers from EU countries, please visit eu.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio US - Customers from the U.S., Canada and outside the EU, please visit us.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio DE - Kunden aus Deutschland sind willkommen auf de.dollstudio.org (in Deutsch)

Get news & updates on Twitter - Dollstudio @Twitter

DS Doll Europe (EU) - Customers from EU countries, please visit en.dsdolleurope.com (in English)

Dollstudio Dollworks Adapter System - Create your hybrid doll!

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Re: Project: Modifying a flawed Z-Onedoll silicone head

Post by Dollstudio »

Hi,

tried powdering the eye sockets and put the smoothed eye balls back in.
DSC03928.JPG
DSC03928.JPG (513.76 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
They are now a bit better movable. But it's hardly an enhancement.
DSC03929.JPG
DSC03929.JPG (473.58 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
DSC03930.JPG
DSC03930.JPG (402.37 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
DSC03931.JPG
DSC03931.JPG (488.83 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
Eye movements are still too imprecise.

Btw, this is how the head looks from inside:
DSC03933.JPG
DSC03933.JPG (332 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
The big hole is where usually the base base plate would be. In the middle is the oral canal, and on the left and right top of the oral canal is the rear side of the eye sockets. So theoretically there would be some room for a eye mechanism as used by DS.

…but for that, the head's core would have to adjusted:
DSC03759.JPG
DSC03759.JPG (398.84 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
As it is, the core does not have a counterpart to hold an eye mechanism.

So next I will try to encase the (inner) surface of the eye sockets with a smooth material with little friction.

Sandro
Dollstudio EU - Customers from EU countries, please visit eu.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio US - Customers from the U.S., Canada and outside the EU, please visit us.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio DE - Kunden aus Deutschland sind willkommen auf de.dollstudio.org (in Deutsch)

DS Doll Europe (EU) - Customers from EU countries, please visit en.dsdolleurope.com (in English)

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Dollstudio »

Hi,

problem solved…
Z-Onedoll ZO-160 SM with ZO-A21 head (non-oral variant)
Z-Onedoll ZO-160 SM with ZO-A21 head (non-oral variant)
DSC04103.JPG (484.71 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
She has now perfectly smooth eye movement. No powdering required.

Though it's just a workaround. All manufacturers of silicone dolls with eyes that do not have mechanics behind the eye balls (like Doll Sweet, and recently Sanhui as well) should address this issue.

Sandro

jazzman
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by jazzman »

great work...

INFORMATIONS