teddy-babes.com

Here's my cheap and easy closed eyelids

The place to discuss our plush companions made by Eighth Wonder LLC.
Zang
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Here's my cheap and easy closed eyelids

Post by Zang »

Making closed eyelids for Teddy Babes has been done a couple of times before, by TDF members Perry and Rider.
Always intrigued by the idea, I finally decided to try it too.

It's a pretty easy modification, actually. I bought a sheet of flesh-tone felt at a local hobby-and-crafts store. Next I used scissors to cut a paper template that follows the shape of the eye decal, cut two rectangles out of the felt, and then used the template to trim the felt rectangles into basically the same eye shapes. Lastly, I used a black marker to make "eyelashes" along the bottom edges, going a little bit thicker near the outside corners of each eyelid.
Jna_eyelids01.jpg
Jna_eyelids01.jpg (177.48 KiB) Viewed 16400 times
I had also bought some separate glue-on eyelashes, but in a test-fit they ended up looking too thick and heavy, so I didn't use them. So at this point, the eyelids were pretty much ready! From this angle, you can see that they follow the curves on her face quite naturally:
Jna_eyelids02.jpg
Jna_eyelids02.jpg (202.16 KiB) Viewed 16400 times
I was also planning to use some double-sided tape on the backs of each eyelid to keep them in place, but to my pleasant surprise, just carefully pressing them on is enough to securely adhere them to the eyes. Even holding her face-down over the bed and shaking her a little didn't make the eyelids come off. So I turned her over and let my 'lab partner' rest again. :turn-l:
Jna_eyelids03.jpg
Jna_eyelids03.jpg (204.3 KiB) Viewed 16400 times
Beddie-bye!
Beddie-bye!
Jna_eyelids04.jpg (170.45 KiB) Viewed 16400 times
Sleeping cutie
Sleeping cutie
Jna_eyelids05.jpg (142.88 KiB) Viewed 16400 times
I'm not one that gets "spooked" by the unblinking eyes of dolls, but having the option to "close" her eyes is nice. It makes her look even cuter. Already it even had the funny effect of prompting me to be a little quieter around her, as if she really was taking a nap.

So now, after two and a half years, my doll can finally rest her eyes. :wink:

Ursa_Major
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Here's my cheap and easy closed eyelids

Post by Ursa_Major »

Thanks for posting this Zang, its a simple idea but looks very effective. Jayna looks really cute taking a nap.

It'll open up a lot more possibilities for photo shoots being able to have girls eyes closed. I suppose you could do eyelide half closed too if you wanted.

I'm off to get some felt asap. :D

Ruby13
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Post by Ruby13 »

Zang:
I gotta hand it to you...she is definitely basking in her "after-glow!" Very cute!!
:) Don R/13

Unknown138
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Unknown138 »

Nice! Very creative! I am considering doing the same for my 1st-PC doll. Some silicone, a little pigment, a little trimming, and there you have...closed eyelids!

Thanks!

Fuzzy78
Former Member

Post by Fuzzy78 »

num num num

cosycottage

Post by cosycottage »

Thanks Zang,

I was wondering how to do that! :)
"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Chiiguy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Chiiguy »

Good work!
<br />Anything that is made
by man starts as a dream before becoming reality.<br /><br />

happiness
Ex-Member

Post by happiness »

Great demonstration Zang! She looks so peaceful. I'm going to do this for my Teddy Babes this weekend! :D

Yoube Bosley
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Yoube Bosley »

This has real potential. Did you get this stuff at Michael's, or some other store?
So here’s what I’m thinking.  I’ll be Charlie and you can all be my angels.  Except you.  You be Bosley.

--- Peter Griffin

Photos of Dana and Amyliu: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10735

Zang
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Re: Here's my cheap-and-easy closed eyelids

Post by Zang »

I bought the felt at a Hobby Lobby since there's one just up the street from my place, but a store like Michael's would probably have some too. A pretty good color assortment was found in the section that has crafts and art project stuff for schoolkids. And one regular-paper size sheet was only 25 cents, too!

A further word about eyelashes... the ones I bought were actually a really cheap plastic variety anyway, definitely not as nice as press-on eyelashes actually meant to be worn, like for costumes or real cosmetics. Those good-quality ones would be the right ones to use if desired, but I'd still draw the black "baseline" along the eyelids' bottom edges as a background for them. But if you're into further cosmetics like eye shadow, well... you're on your own!
:scrambleup:

Oh, yeah... and thanks for the good words, everyone!

hanuman37
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by hanuman37 »

She looks wonderful, Zang... and thanks for the info!

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

WOW. I really like. Nice job. On my list ;)
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

IanEvans
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by IanEvans »

Me likey. :mrgreen:

For eyeshadow you could simply use colored felt. Lavender for Caley and medium brown for Ana would be easy enough for me, though matching Beverly's bronze patina color might be more of a challenge...perhaps using the same dry-brush acrylic paint technique for refreshing the nipple color would work.

Click above to view my albums. :mrgreen:

You never truly feel that another person loves you. You can only react to the way they behave towards you. And when I look in Caley's eyes and see that same bittersweet longing I feel for her, whatever part of my brain knows it's not real doesn't seem to care...

mission

Post by mission »

That's really good and looks just perfect.

cosycottage

Post by cosycottage »

So, after a trip to the craft store for some felt, and to Boots for some eyelashes (Walgreens for you guys?), here are my attempts:

First the flesh colour felt, which worked well as a tint for Kiko's light skin, but unfortunately the felt was a little thin - a little translucent- so I'll have to find some thicker stuff!
kiko sleeping 1
kiko sleeping 1
kiko felt flesh 1.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 16196 times
The eyelashes work well! Some nice subtle ones, although others may prefer the more spidery drag-queen look.... depends if you buy from the fancy dress store or not :P , and whether your Babe can carry the more exotic look off! :mrgreen:
a bit translucent
a bit translucent
kiko felt flesh eyelash.jpg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 16196 times
I had a go at some other colours, for the eye-shadow'd look, and the purple/lilac went best with Kiko's complexion.
purple people eater
purple people eater
kiko felt eyeshadow.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 16196 times
close-up w/eyelashes (bought a set with glue and brush included)
lilac girl
lilac girl
kiko felt purple closeup.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 16196 times

All in all, a really great modification and easy to put together!
Thanks for the tips! Now I really can let Kiko snooze away in bed while I work! :razz:
"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

INFORMATIONS