Santa
www.realdoll.com
Rita & Angie - HawgCallr

minimally invasive wrist surgery on boy toy

A space for the legacy dolls manufactured by as Phoenix Studios. These include the Boy Toy Series 1 & 2: Calendar Girls, Seasons and C series.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

minimally invasive wrist surgery on boy toy

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

When my new Boy Toy Doll was only a few months old I noticed her right wrist suddenly went completely limp and would no longer hold a pose.

I know this is a common problem and wrist surgery threads have been posted before, but the ones I have seen involve making large incisions across the wrist, which leave large areas to glue shut and large scars.

Even Phoenix Studios recommended that I cut across the wrist so that both sides of the bolt could be accessed.

They sent me some free adhesive. Thanks Phoenix Studios!

I thought it would be much better to operate by cutting the seams as minimally as possible to minimize and hide scaring, not to mention that my past experience with realdoll adhesive, the more adhesive you use the more likely it is to crack and need to be re-glued in the future.

I found one photo of the Boy Toy wrist cut open that was helpful, it shows a phillips head screw (+) on the pinky finger side of the wrist. I could not see the bolt and screw on the opposite side in the photo.

I asked, but Phoenix Studios did not supply photos of the skeleton.

So, I started with the pinky finger side of the wrist. At this point I was hoping they were (+) head screws on both sides. Pressing hard with my thumb I could easily feel the bolt head.

So once the screw head is located, I take a phillips (+) head screw driver:

And use it to puncture the dolls skin above the screw head that I had felt:

As long as you are close you can move the screwdriver around slightly due to the stretchyness of the skin, and I was able to seat the screwdriver into the (+) head screw on my first attempt.

I tried to tighten the 'screw' at this point, it would turn easily but not tighten up. So I knew it was either a bolt, or a damaged screw

Now I could withdraw the screwdriver and work on the other side.

Using the same technique I could feel the bolt protruding on the other side. It was notably larger than the pinky finger side of the wrist. So I knew it was likely the bolt threads and nut, not a screw. This meant a slight incision would be required.

I punctured the skin with the screwdriver over the bolt anyway, and as expected I could not locate a (+) screw head.

So next I made a very small incision directly over the bolt using a small utility knife. The goal was to keep the incision as small as possible yet see what was inside.

So I made an incision about 1/4 to 3/8 inch long. I could then look inside:

Next I stretch the incision gently with my fingers and insert an 11/32 socket:

The silicone stretches around the socket so there was no need to make the incision any larger. Now I carefully re-insert the screwdriver on the opposite side, through the puncture that I made previously:

And then I tighten the nut up. It takes less that 1/8 of a turn to get the wrist to approximately the same tightness as the other wrist.

Now I remove the tools, and you can see the incision and the puncture spring closed on their own and are very minimal:

Now I spread the wounds a bit and clean them:

Finally I spread the wounds apart and put a dab of realdoll adhesive in each one:

Then wipe off the excess adhesive:

Wait for the adhesive to dry. And I'm done!

Here Sarah holds her repaired wrist up, you can barely see the small puncture scar. The scars are barely there, and hard to capture with my crappy camera:

I hope someone finds this useful!
My Doll Album is here!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: minimally intrusive wrist surgery on boy toy

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Here is the photo (of a different doll's surgery!) I mentioned above that I had come across which helped me to determine that it was a phillips (+) head screw on the little pinky side of the wrist.

Note the large incision here!
Attachments
Wrist_05a.JPG
Wrist_05a.JPG (255.74 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
My Doll Album is here!

HawgCallr
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: minimally intrusive wrist surgery on boy toy

Post by HawgCallr »

Nice job, ks! I have had to tighten up both of Rita's wrist since I got her. The smaller the incision, the better. Nice tutorial!

janesays
Ex-Member

Re: minimally invasive wrist surgery on boy toy

Post by janesays »

Great tutorial and complete. This goes right into the sticky thread. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p336792
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.

RaDiv
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RaDiv »

Good work KS

I have 4 wrists that needs tightening. To make the scars a bit less visible I'll either use two part silicone on the surface or mix the adhesive with make-up powder that matches the skin tone. There should be something left from a labia repair.
She told me to come but I was already there

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by wetsuit »

nice work KS,

almost exactly the same as I did to both wrists on my boy toy, I used the tiniest smear of silpoxy adhesive to close the wounds & put some sellotape over the top till it dried, 3 out of the 4 scars were totally invisable when it was all done,

I did find the joints loosened off again after a short while so I had planned to go in there again & use some thread locking compound the next time,
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!  (A A Milne)
Wetsuit's gallery

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

wetsuit wrote:nice work KS,

almost exactly the same as I did to both wrists on my boy toy, I used the tiniest smear of silpoxy adhesive to close the wounds & put some sellotape over the top till it dried, 3 out of the 4 scars were totally invisable when it was all done,

I did find the joints loosened off again after a short while so I had planned to go in there again & use some thread locking compound the next time,
I thought about using tread locking compound myself, but decided to wait and see how this holds up.

Can you tell me more about silpoxy adhesive? Do you find it better than real doll adhesive in any way, or is it just a matter of cost?
My Doll Album is here!

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

Good work! Likely useful for Realdolls too; the wrists are usually the first joints to go very loose.

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by wetsuit »

the silpoxy was sent to me by pheonix studios when I first got the doll, I couldn't say how it varies from the real doll adhesive as I've never seen or used it (it's probably the same stuff)

it is just a tube of silicone glue, the secret is to use the tiniest amount you can get away with to smear on the edges of the cut so that none seeps out when you tape it closed then it should be very nearly invisable when dried

the only reason one of the scars was visable was because the wrist had a slight tear & I used that as an entry point but it was a bit jagged & didn't quite close up as well as the others
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!  (A A Milne)
Wetsuit's gallery

sanpedro
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by sanpedro »

Nearly a year on, the finger joints in the knees and elbows of my RD have the same amount of stiction they had when new. But the wrists blew through their tension in under four months of normal use. Abyss needs to put modification of the wrists on their to-do list, this issue seems to be widespread.

Nice write up, btw.

plastik23

Post by plastik23 »

sanpedro wrote:Nearly a year on, the finger joints in the knees and elbows of my RD have the same amount of stiction they had when new. But the wrists blew through their tension in under four months of normal use. Abyss needs to put modification of the wrists on their to-do list, this issue seems to be widespread.

Nice write up, btw.
Do you think that the wrists are the first to go since a lot of idollators tend to sit the dolls in doggy during play? Even properly supported with the wrists sitting flat would fatigue the joint I would think. Think about it this way, when you're resting all your weight on your wrists playing with your doll (or an organic) don't they hurt after a while? Mine do.

Guitar Boy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Guitar Boy »

Nice tutorial ks! :thumbs_up:
I'm going to have to do some work on my Realdoll's wrists (among other joints that aren't too bad yet) and your knowledge and pics are greatly appreciated.
I hesitate to cut into my Jenny without knowing what's where inside!
I'm not really surprised that BoyToyDolls didn't give you any photos...
(Although a skeletal diagram would be VERY useful!)
They're very secretive about their designs, I guess.
I have found a few blurry pics of so-called Realdoll skeletons on-line but nothing close-up enough to get any useful information from.
This is my second post. :)
Cheers!
Jenny Lynn...
My First and Most Precious Angel

Click on this photo to see all of my girls.
They are made for Love and to be Loved...
To Have and to Hold, to Love and to Cherish.

tchon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by tchon »

Hi Guitar Boy,

we have not met yet, so first a warm welcome to TDF from me! :)

Sorry to hear that your Jenny needs hand surgery. I hope this goes well. Whatever you do, remember patience and good preparation are the most important skills when doing doll repairs, and haste is your enemy, even if you feel your doll should be pretty and well soon.

The photo ks posted above is from Incrediwagons repair on Ceilidh. I am not sure if this is the kind of damage you have to handle with, but you can see there what a RealDoll wrist joints look like.
Also Mechwizard has a "Wrist repair" album here: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/th ... album=2119 and corresponding thread here: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22055

Last but not least muzza always writes very detailed and clear repair threads; I remember one on loose joints in general (not limited to wrists).

Oh, and then there is so much more in the Repair and Maintenance forum. If you cannot find the information you need there, never by shy of asking questions, of course!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Guitar Boy wrote:Nice tutorial ks! :thumbs_up:
I'm going to have to do some work on my Realdoll's wrists (among other joints that aren't too bad yet) and your knowledge and pics are greatly appreciated.
I hesitate to cut into my Jenny without knowing what's where inside!
I'm not really surprised that BoyToyDolls didn't give you any photos...
(Although a skeletal diagram would be VERY useful!)
They're very secretive about their designs, I guess.
I have found a few blurry pics of so-called Realdoll skeletons on-line but nothing close-up enough to get any useful information from.
This is my second post. :)
Cheers!
Welcome to the forum Guitar Boy. I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful.

This wrist repair is starting to loosen up again after 9 months, so if you do the repair you might want to over tighten a bit.

If you want a less visible scar than the tiny ones that remained from this repair you might want to try the 2 part silicon available from the manufacturer. But I never notice these scars unless I'm looking for them.

Before this surgery I tried making my own "x-ray" machine using a 2 million candle power flashlight, trying to see the skeleton. :haha4:

I could see the shape of the "wrist bones", but not with enough detail to see the screw type.
My Doll Album is here!

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

wetsuit wrote: Can you tell me more about silpoxy adhesive? Do you find it better than real doll adhesive in any way, or is it just a matter of cost?
Hello wetsuit,

I can't speak as to what Abyss sends out as repair adhesive but I do have plenty of experiance with Sil-Poxy. I swear by it, make sure you use a fresh, new tube. If you look in any major platinum silicone doll manufactuers shop, you will see boxes of Sil-Poxy, that has got to tell you something.
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

INFORMATIONS