It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:56 pm

By visiting this website and viewing the pages within, you accept and agree to be bound by and comply with the Rules Of Conduct and Terms Of Use of this website.

Official TDF Rules & TOS

Please click on either selection to view: Rules Of Conduct | Terms Of Use

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  
Search for:

Post subject: 2011 Ruby 13 "More Bounce To the Ounce." A review.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:56 am 
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Ruby 13 - Art Come to Life.

Welcome to my first week review. Warning: These are initial impressions. Things could change or new issues could arise. I could also be more enamored of this doll. Stay tuned.

I'm going to give a quick run-through then let you in on my Ruby 13 project (end). I got the "original" body with heads 3 and 5.

Ruby 13 is a cartoon come to life. She's lush, sexy with over the top Jessica Rabbit type proportions. It's part of what makes her a beautiful fantasy doll. Unlike other dolls the R13 has a series of facial expressions with the same facial style.

Pros

Service was fastest of any doll I've ever ordered. Just for reference this doll was ordered in June and here in July 2011. It's the newest mix including the boobies.

Delivery was FedEx with tracking. Box is cardboard and a little small for the doll (she get squished but not damaged).

Looks: Great original look. When the head came out of the box it looked odd to me and it wasn't until she was attached with a wig that I "got it". I think pics only partially do justice to the biker slut hottie look on the original "Ruby" body style. It's Hella sexy. Since I'm as likely to encounter these women in real life as a Higg's Boson it's been wonderful fantasy time for me. There's some anatomic detailing missing I see on my RD and 4Woods but I'm not sure that would work so well for a fantasy style doll as this one.

I chose the face three which is very sexy with a partly opened mouth. It's cute and the makeup plan is to accentuate that. The head 5 I ordered more for play.

The sex: For an area that's so important we really lack this in some reviews (or people don't test their dolls this way). It's the most important part of a sex doll for me.

Here's where the Ruby shines. The soft silicone is wonderful on the outside. Because the legs are slightly bent at rest and with the softness/looseness of the rest the doll "moves" during sex very naturally. When you hit that silicone v-jj I can only describe it one way: butter. Take a fleshlight, wrap a hot doll around it you've got a Ruby 13. Despite the butt being firmer than the rest of the body it's still softer than anything out there and the anal play is very good as well. You can do easily do Russian with the big boobies which I've never achieved on any doll in the past.

Skeleton: Overall Don's made some good choices with the skeleton. He went for realism vs. poseability. Usually his choices work. The only thing I'd suggest is tighter at the elbows because it's hard to get the arms to hold a "hug" position. Don't plan on having your doll hold a rose or wineglass. She's just not that kind of gal. ;) Don's skeleton allows the shoulders to move through the widest range of motion of any doll I have.

Silicone: Softness, smooth, natural bounce. What's not to like? Well, the only issue is on the right side she tends to take on pressure dimples if you're not careful. I dk if this is a by product of the silicone or what the outcome will be over time but I'm learning to be very careful. This is the only downside I've seen so far. It will be interesting to see how this mix holds up long-term. But in the meantime be prepared for if not the softest, one of the softest mix currently available. The boobs bounce like nothing I've seen since the original Mechadoll videos. You won't need much if any powdering for this mix either. I think we might have reached a point where if the mix was any softer she's be too soft. I once felt the old flat back COM doll which was so soft and jiggly it would've been like screwing Jell-O. When we reach Jellyfish stage it might be time to take a step back. :D

Other: The hard nails are nice. I haven't had a doll with this option and turns out I like it. Will probably continue this with other dolls in the future.

Cons

There's not a lot but no doll is perfect. I'm going to point out the few areas I've noticed.

The tongue for the kiss head is a limp noodle. Something like the tongue abyss uses would be perfect.

Lack of permanent makeup for me is a con. I have done simple makeup repair but am not accomplished nor do I want to invest the time to learn. It was a major reason I held back buying the doll.

The Ruby 13 Project

My solution is to have permanent makeup applied by a professional makeup artist. So I contacted someone I knew. She prefers to remain anonymous as she wants to keep working where she's at. But she's a friend and very intrigued by dolls. This will be her only doll makeup project. I'd like to thank the folks at FX Supply that've helped us prepare for this. We're aiming for "young, fresh, innocent" so you can be the judge how well she did.

With that in mind I'll take a few pics of the doll before the heads are sent. I'll have to endure a few weeks without them but I can't wait to see the results. I should have the "before" pics up in the next few days. I chose the fair skin which demands the most careful lighting.

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

-Abraham Lincoln (1809-65) U.S. President
 AIM Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 2011 Ruby 13 "More Bounce To the Ounce." A review.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 am 
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Great review Zarnon :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 am 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Location: on the other side of the curtain when you shower...
Thanks for this review. You've answered some of my outstanding questions about Rubys.

Will the Make-up artist use the Dry Cosmetic Grade Pigments from fx supply?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:49 am 
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Yeah, really great review Zarnon. :thumbs_up: Thanks for going into more detail about the sex too; it's very useful info.

I have to agree with you about the non-permanent makeup being a detraction; in fact, enough so to keep me from purchasing one. I really wish Don would make this available as an option. I really like kissing my dolls, and have no desire to constantly be re-touching the makeup, not to mention having it get all over the bedsheets & what not. It's great to hear that you've got someone willing to make it more permanent for you. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:46 pm 
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

This is a perfect review, Zarnon, and probably the best, most in depth one I've seen on a Ruby 13 so far. Thank you for being willing to delve into how the sex is with a Ruby. I wonder what most people have kind of glossed over that subject before now. I mean, we're a community of love doll owners, after all; you'd think that sort of thing would be mentioned in reviews. :wink:

I never considered the lack of permanent make-up, but that would probably be the only factor that would somewhat dissuade me from buying a Ruby 13, though I don't think it would be a deal-breaker in this case. It's so cool that you have a friend who can help you apply permanent makeup to your gal. I totally cannot wait to see how that turns out!

Ace review, Zarnon. A+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:57 pm 
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Agree, great review Zarnon. :thumbs_up:

As you say there's no such thing as the perfect doll, so what Ruby has to offer seems particularly good. :D Thanks again, I'm sure you're both going to be very pleased with each other. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:24 pm 

This review is excellent and puts Ruby13 a bit more in focus on my radar.

I have the same feelings concerning the doll's make-up. If left to my own skills, I can promise she'll wind up looking like a clown. If ever I bought one, her make-up wouldn't last long because she would be "busy." Hopefully Don and the guys will be able to locate someone to do that for them.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:27 pm 
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Quote:
Will the Make-up artist use the Dry Cosmetic Grade Pigments from fx supply?

Hi Netwit, I've used the dry pigments before on touchups. I've done the color mixing myself and had decent results mixing a "natural" color style onfor my older 4Woods heads. Ultimately these were all repainted but it did the job till then (see below).

I've also used dry mascara for lipstick and nipple touch up with adhesive sealant (the Abyss touch up kit).

But I've never touched more complex than that.

Quote:
Hopefully Don and the guys will be able to locate someone to do that for them.

fxsupply has several artists with their contact info and abilities. It's very intriguing. Most list fx makeup in their CV with varying levels of experience. All it costs is time and money. Hee hee. :D Who knows what the payoff could be? I also think people would be more inclined to purchase given the option for permanent makeup.

http://www.fxsupply.com/features/artist.html

If Don wants to try out an artist I'd bag advertising on TDF and suggest some direct mailing some people on that list. :wink:

Attachments:
three heads.jpg
three heads.jpg [ 65.06 KiB | Viewed 3253 times ]

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

AIM Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:06 pm 
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Zarnon:
Or to anyone who can direct me to the
section on "FX Supply.com" where they tell me...or rather, will
guarantee this "permanent" makeup is made specifically for "silicone"
and is actually permanent! I'm in touch with a gentleman here in town
with many years in the movie special fx industry [based in the
Hollywood, California area]...he tells me all permanent makeup is
permanent until it finally chips, peels or rubs off. I've yet to hear
of any product that is absolutely fool-proof...but I'm certainly ready
to listen to a voice of experience! Hear-say and wishful thinking
isn't quite enough for us to "guarantee" absolute permanency...my
concern is based on the messy job of "possibly/ probably" having to
strip off the previous perm.makeup and reapply it from scratch.
Perhaps one of the other more expensive high end doll makers have this
knowledge and will answer these questions to your satisfaction. I
would very much like to offer this option to those of you wishing to
never be able to change your dolls appearance with a fresh new
look...personally, I demand variety! It was recently mentioned that
the R-13 girls arrive without any makeup...actually, the only makeup
we leave to their new owner is the lipstick, and this procedure takes
less than a minute. As I said earlier, I am "extremely" open to words
of wisdom on this subject...as yet, I'm gettin' nuthin'!

Respectfully Don@Ruby13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:50 pm 
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Surprise surprise, another awesome review of a Ruby13. :mrgreen: As if I needed to be any more frustrated that I still haven't saved up enough for one. :roll: :wink: And I can't wait for the pics. You don't see too many fair-skinned Ruby dolls, and one of the things I'm still on the fence about is light versus medium. I've always had a thing for that sort of pale complexion (that no amount of avoiding direct sunlight will enable a half-Italian like me to acheive :( ), but if a doll that resembles a fair Celtic maiden in person winds up looking like a vampire in her photos, I might just go with the medium instead. :?

Hmm, I'd always wondered if those Abyss touch-up kits would work, but I'd feel awkward asking about it since I doubt they'd like the idea of it being used on another manufacturer's doll... :whistle:

Of course, all I'd really need to do is add a hint of color to the lips for when I'm playing with her (I too would rather not kiss the color off), and perhaps some fake eyebrows; otherwise I'd just use regular makeup when photographing her. I've heard the horror stories about dolls being temporarily stained by excess dye from an unwashed garment, and wonder if I could get a similar effect with some Q-tips and a pink Sharpie (i.e. dab the cotton swab against the tip of the marker, rub out the excess ink onto some cardboard, and then dab the color on a little bit at a time...not unlike the dry-brush technique used to replenish the color of Teddy Babe nipples)? Even if it had to be touched up every so often, it'd at least be preferable to the doll having lips the same color as the rest of her face in non-photographic situations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 pm 
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Quote:
Or to anyone who can direct me to the
section on "FX Supply.com" where they tell me...or rather, will
guarantee this "permanent" makeup is made specifically for "silicone"
and is actually permanent!

Quote:
Hear-say and wishful thinking
isn't quite enough for us to "guarantee" absolute permanency

Don, the Buddhist teach that nothing is permanent.

Stars, our lives, pretty much anything in the Universe. It will all eventually degrade. No one, including myself can say something will last forever. Anyone that intimates otherwise is blowing smoke up your choo-choo. So if I've ever suggested that permanent meant forever I want to quash that now. If you have a product that will never break down, chip or have the finish wear off please contact me, we need to get a patent. :D

Yet I don't understand how a customer woudln't be happier if the professionally applied makeup lasted months vs that which came off with a single touch.

Sometimes I question why I took on this task given I am shouldering the entire cost of having the makeup artist work for me. Non-removable beautiful makeup is not "wishful thinking" but something standard with Abyss, PIB, Anatomic or 4Woods. Let's get away from "it can't be done" because every major manufactor does it.

I took doing the R13 perm makeup as a labor of love because I really like this doll. I'm getting rewarded with bupkus as these endeavors usually are which begs the question "why bother?"

Why bother convincing someone who's perfectly happy with the way things are? I guess it's the perogative of the artist. I'm not trying to intrude on hallowed ground but I've been around dolls as long as anyone, have a background in art and design and have the same motivation - I want to see better.

I see photo after photo of brand new Rubys with no makeup on areas that have already rubbed off, including my own and the Ruby owned by this site admin. It's the rare Ruby owner that has the desire or knowlege to reapply her makeup over and over again. It's a blem on an otherwise perfect product. In my opinion.

The way things stand customers are going to either have to get used to a face with spotty to no makeup or learn how to reapply it themselves. I guess the third option is to try to get a makeup artist to do a perm job like I did :D .

Let me reiterate I love this doll but the lack of permanent makeup is a major hassle that shouldn't be a part of a multi thousand dollar doll. Potential owners should know the beautiful makeup in the photos is as fragile as a butterfly's wing and they'll have learn how to re-do it themselves. Think about the person with neurmuscular deficits, poor eyesight or just plain poor artistic experience. How realistic is the expectation they can redo it as well as yourself?

Anyhow I will finish this out then done. I know the skills of the person I'm dealing with. I'll apologize in advance for us kicking ass. Peace out.

Quote:
but if a doll that resembles a fair Celtic maiden in person winds up looking like a vampire in her photos, I might just go with the medium instead.

Here's where I think the makeup choices are really going to make the difference. I originally wanted to go with "sweet and innocent" but now want to go with more of a "bad girl" look.

Also having Don do more of a pinkish look to the nipples instead of brown may help with the "fair maiden" look.

AIM Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:03 pm 

Zarnon,

Great Review. You have covered all the bases very well and in great detail. One thing I would like to add is the fact you have been in this hobby for a long time and own multiple dolls. I think this allows you to carry more weight in your assesment of different areas than a person who only owns one. Sounds like you really are going to enjoy her and vice versa.

One thing that sort of scares me is this permanent makeup thing of yours. Your last post on this thread explaining your needs for permant makeup is followed by you saying [Here's where I think the makeup choices are really going to make the difference. I originally wanted to go with "sweet and innocent" but now want to go with more of a "bad girl" look.] I know from my experience one day I want mine to look one way and the next day it's another way with different clothes and wig. With ordinary makeup I can do this. Also, I like to have lipstick stains on my shorts, it reminds me of when I was a teenager many years ago,lol.

Thanks,
Gizmo

AIM Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:11 pm 
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Thanks Gizmo. I appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
One thing that sort of scares me is this permanent makeup thing of yours. Your last post on this thread explaining your needs for permant makeup is followed by you saying [Here's where I think the makeup choices are really going to make the difference. I originally wanted to go with "sweet and innocent" but now want to go with more of a "bad girl" look.] I know from my experience one day I want mine to look one way and the next day it's another way with different clothes and wig. With ordinary makeup I can do this. Also, I like to have lipstick stains on my shorts, it reminds me of when I was a teenager many years ago,lol.

I change my mind about a hundred time before settling in on my choices. I've settled on choices for numerous 4Woods and RD faces/heads and never once preferred that to doing the makeup myself.

Permanent makeup is not a "thing of mine" but standard on 4Woods, Abyss, Sinthetics, PIB and Anatomic Dolls. I'm finding it somewhat bizarre we're forgetting this fact.

As far as back in the day I've never reminisced about makeup on my shirts, shorts or bedsheets. I file this under "Euphoric Recall" hee hee.

Makeup is a bitch to get out of anything. I look on makeup smears about as fondly as hickeys, cavities or accidently having sex on a mound fire ants (true story!). I'm not longing to revisit those youthful times. But if that's what floats your boat then it's easy enough to have a face with no permanent makeup. Permanent fabric smears on shorts ahoy! :)

I don't get why something so longstanding and industry standard is debated. Do people really want the Do It Yourself Makeup Option? Why haven't the other mfr offered this wonderful option if this is what their customers want?

Gush all you want about trying to reapply makeup as good as the person who did it before you. I don't think it's a viable option for most consumers.

AIM Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:38 am 
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Congratulations on your new Ruby Z ... my next doll definitely.

I personally prefer and like the Non permanent make-up and find doing it interesting and like creating different looks.

Mechadoll is another manufacture that doesn't do permanent make-up and I've appreciated this with my Leeloo. Even in her private areas being able to change the color and tone is cool/hot ;)

Enjoy your new girl, I know you will ... Can't wait to get my hands on one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 am 
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Congratulations, and thanks for the review. In contrast to recent history, I already added yours to the Ruby13 review links thread.

I have Ruby13 heads 3, 4 and 5, with the semi-permanent makeup on head 3 (eyebrows and lipstick). I far prefer the semi-permanent makeup. It may not be for everybody, but it is a real value added option for me.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Cheers,
r4m

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next