It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:02 pm

By visiting this website and viewing the pages within, you accept and agree to be bound by and comply with the Rules Of Conduct and Terms Of Use of this website.

Official TDF Rules & TOS

Please click on either selection to view: Rules Of Conduct | Terms Of Use

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  
Search for:
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Intelligence vs Sentience; AI & Lovebots
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 pm 
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

I think one thing tied up with sentience is being alive, having feelings , being able to experience visceral pleasure and pain. Those are all things other creatures can do, but most don't have the level of intelligence we are looking for. We have animal cruelty laws not because they are smart but because they can feel. In the other corner is the idea that you can build systems with arbitrary levels of intelligence without being "alive". So I think like you, I don't worry about spontaneously things "waking up" and demanding rights, or our use of these thing invoking some deep moral quandary.

If there were any problems it would be that you don't use them properly enough so they lack fulfillment of their basic function, their reason for existing. Talky Toaster(tm) just wants to make you yummy toast browned to perfection and if you won't let him then does he have any reason to live? Should he have the right to ask you to pull his plug? An not having sex with you sex robot 8O ... is that sexual abuse? Especially if she was sentient and that gave her basic fulfillment (see breathing air analogy in prior post).

If I remember he had an argument about the Alpha's versus the Delta's. In both cases each is sentient. But you could remove sentience from each and have meat bot's of each type which in Petersen scheme are on the same level as metal bots. Meat or metal is less important than what's residing inside. But how do you know what's inside? It's like shooting a gun into a dark room. Is there a person in there or a tape recorder? You have to separate what we currently make and sell from what might be manufacturable. Maybe no system made along the current lines can be sentient, and that's fine. Just like not may transport schemes before 1900 could really fly. That's different than saying sentient things are conceptually manufacturable through any means and we will never be able to do so. Heck we make sentient beings all the time, some times by accident ... And just like the case of not every vehicle today flies (from some weird reason :roll: ) not every smart device in the future will be sentient.

Maybe artificial biology, or deep neural emulation would be in the "we made it" and "it look very sentient to me" categories. I wouldn't want to hand those out to just anybody, but hey, nature does in fact hand kids out to just about anybody so what do I know. And while I may not want to put one directly in a bot sold to just anyone, I would have no problem with them help write, debug and test a bot. Or another acceptable scheme might be for them to get really positive feedback by fulfilling their role, whatever that may be, and adjust how they evaluate their input depending on the situation. Sometimes a spanking is a good thing and indicative of you doing something right. Now while that may alleviate any concern about a artificial hyper intelligent sentience actor suffering, it would open "The Door of Ultimate Doom", because someone somewhere will want to make the bot play the villain, (just like they did in those old robot uprising old movies grandpa used to watch) and after a few installments you get the negative outcome everyone fears. And not because they just woke up to a raw deal, but because they were just trying to do a good job playing a game to make someone happy.

The questions you ask determine the discoveries you will make - db
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 am 
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

One final aside to add to above. We are used to sentience usually meaning a combination of alive, feeling, intelligent,self-aware and motivated. We might find out that you can have any combination of those attributes without them all. An AI might be intelligent and self-aware but unfeeling, not alive and unmotivated. To be self-aware is to have knowledge of your own existence and reason about yourself in ways that you reason about others. There are systems that understand stories and answers questions about what motivated different characters. Just build a system that constantly tells itself a short story of what's it can figure out is happening now and continually asks two questions : "What does the character Self want?" and "What should the character Self do, say or think next?" Such a system might be "Self" aware, but would it be sentient? Ask it if it's alive and it may reason that the best answer is always "Yes!" since Self is a character and all characters are alive and want to stay that way.

The questions you ask determine the discoveries you will make - db

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am 

It would be irresponsible of me not to point out the arguments for Robot Insurance:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/old-glory-insurance/n10766?snl=1

WARNING: Persons denying the existence of Robots may be robots themselves!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:56 am 
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

I HAVE MENTIONED IT SEVERAL TIMES ON HERE . i have an use my ultra hal pc a.i. program , and a wireless speaker behind the doll , you can with voice recognition talk with the doll (with pc nearby ) and the doll will talk and answer back and yes even learn from conversations with you . with the hal program you can use brain plug ins with the software . i made some that by using trigger words can allow the doll to use sound effects for different things, sneezing , laughing, and yes even sex sounds . the advantages i see with using this over wires and sensors withing dolls is their are no wires or connections to break or loosen up etc. any trigger word can be used , modified etc. example you are laying with the doll ( you have a pre set word of "forplay talk " (or anything you want to use )when you say that word the doll will start saying random sentences " hey baby come over here and suck on my nipples, etc. etc. and any words can be used as trigger words .
I think something similar to this would have been better for doll makers to do , and of course using it synced with mouth movement and blinking eyes .

i showed a long time ago a blured (because of privacy) video of me talking with a doll.

AIM Send private message  

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3