Starpery.com

Doll building with local Maker/Hacker shops and spaces

Got an idea? Need an invention?
opendolldesign

Doll building with local Maker/Hacker shops and spaces

Post by opendolldesign »

Did you know there are probably several Maker/Hacker spaces near you (if you live in a fairly big city anywhere in the world) that have all sorts of shop tools, space and high tech equipment like 3d printers CNC machines and other stuff that could be used for doll building? Usually the prices are practical when you consider the time you save, some places operate on donations!

I'm not saying build a complete doll AT one of these places, you can simply craft most of the parts there and assemble at home. For an example I will be using one of the CNC machines at one these shops near me to mill from foam several pieces of a mannequin and assemble at home. Just one of the many up sides to this is I will get the exact shape and size I want for less cost, and very quick.

Don't know how to use any of the equipment? No problem, a lot of these places offer training or classes, sometimes for free. Also I find that the people drawn to these shops enjoy helping others if they can, so ask for assistance from others at the shop.

TO FIND A SHOP NEAR YOU: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces

OR just search Google for Maker Space "your city name" ie maker space Denver Colorado
Open(source) Doll Design:

My instructions for creating a super soft, strong, silicone doll skin: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52174

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: Doll building with local Maker/Hacker shops and spaces

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks
Found the local chapter in my closest city.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

deviant6666
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by deviant6666 »

Its a good idea but most people would prefer to keep their work on this stuff private... don't you think?

Themanfromuk
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Themanfromuk »

Some of the more discrete parts I suppose you could make :) Also the one I just found very close to me is open 24/7 and I work all odd hours so I could theoretically do it when no one else is there :P

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

deviant6666 wrote:Its a good idea but most people would prefer to keep their work on this stuff private... don't you think?
I guess if your just building one for your own use.

Matt McMullen didn't keep it a secret!

I went into my local Smooth-On dealer this spring and told the lady I wanted to build 18 yo looking sex dolls. Didn't phase her a bit. At least not that she showed. We talked quite a bit about silicone, techniques and dolls currently on the market. She mentioned that they /or Smooth On? was wanting to set up at one of the Vegas Sex Expo's to hawk silicone.

It's probably all in how you approach the subject. I'm sure the lady at SO would love for me to be buying 5 gal buckets of silicone. She said business went to hell after a certain king was elected awhile back.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Cud
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cud »

I also use the local hacklab/workshop, and have been a regular member for the last three years or so. There may be some tensions there. It is certainly less costly than having a dedicated workspace and on top of this the shared workshop comes with all the benefits of shared ideas and expertise. When I come in with pair of bones or some other offbeat, weird-ass or just plain odd parts the fellows around there no longer ask what I do. Most of the time it is probably just fine not to know if not better not to know.

If there is a problem, it is more of a publicity problem than really problem within the place or between members. There is some chance at least a few others fellows are interested in love dolls, as well. Despite that, (my speculation) those might not want to go to publicity that side first, either. It can be quite embarrassing to discuss the topic between members, even if relatively safe but the publicity is different. You never know which way reception would turn. A local paper touted us as machine lovers in quite positive spirit about two years back which might not be that far fetched after all. To start with, these hacker/makerspace users seem often if not always to be angled towards entertaining themselves and others with the delights of technology. Not to mention the proportion of single male/not single..

/Cud

INFORMATIONS