Starpery.com

Thoughts on self skinning foam

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Jimjam

Thoughts on self skinning foam

Post by Jimjam »

I have an idea to make a cast of a mannequin in self skinning foam. Basically it's a soft two part foam that rises as it sets, and forms an outer skin in a semi closed mould. It's cheap, lightweight and wouldn't feel cold and clammy to the touch like silicone does. Of course bathing would probably be out of the question. I think the base colour is white, but can be pigmented. Rises about 8X volume when mixed and comes in different densities.

Here are some links:

http://www.smooth-on.com/a81/New-Flex-F ... _info.html

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/foam-materials.html

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/foam-materials/foam-soft.html

This stuff is relatively cheap, you could make both the mould and the doll from the same stuff. My idea is this: Buy a mannequin and use the box it came in as a mould box. You may need to extend the box if the mannequin came in several parts. Line the box with cling film, as you'll need to reuse it later. Stand the mannequin in the box making sure there is enough room to pour the foam in. Mix and pour the foam, and watch the magic as it rises completely covering the mannequin. When set, lay the box on it's side, because youv'e lined it with cling film, the box should be easy to removed for later, leaving you with a square lump of foam with a mannequin inside. Next is to cut the mannequin out of the foam by running a large and really sharp knife around the mannequin inside - - but how do you know exactly where it is? Maybe some string, or tape or whatever attached to the mannequin running parallel and tied through the box to act as markers....haven't quite worked that bit out yet. Still following me? Good. So now you should have two havles of a foam mould after having removed the mannequin. Make a pour hole through the head. Liberally coat the two havles of the mould with release agent. Insert the mould back into the box to hold it steady and square. Mix some more foam and pour into the mould. Wait to set and remove......TADAAA!!!! now you should have your very own cheap and realistic self skinned foam love doll!

The method as stated is simplified i know, but i think it has the basis of a sound idea. There are of course other things to consider, like if you want a skeleton. It would however be very cheap to make, or even manufacture. I haven't tested it for real, it's just a theory.

I would really appreciate any further input and ideas and would like to know peoples thoughts about this idea in general.

Thanks, Jimjam :mrgreen:

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: Thoughts on self skinning foam

Post by rubherkitty »

This may be possible.

When arms and legs are attached she may be even wider than the box. Just figure on making a heavy duty box out of 1x2's and paneling.

You only have 35 -50 seconds to pour the foam so better be fast.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

I am thinking this material may not be soft enough for doll parts.
Try it out on something small then let us know how it works.
My home-made OOAK plush doll gallery
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13765

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Just gotta get the right foam.
Candy18 uses expanding foam in their dolls, but they have a skin already.

Here's a foam doll ready to go! On sale for $300.00.
http://www.dappercadaver.com/products/a ... -body.html
Might not be as nice as a sexy mannequin is posed.
Attachments
all_foam_budget_Jessica_body_3__85391.1409520196.500.500.jpg
all_foam_budget_Jessica_body_3__85391.1409520196.500.500.jpg (212.58 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

I don't think foam would make a very good mold by itself, but I have thought about the possibility of using this method for making a quick lightweight mother mold.
For the mold you could paint on a thin detail layer of silicone let set, then apply another thin layer and stick some cotton fibers in it, then pour your rigid foam for the mother mold. The biggest problem though would be how to cut the mold apart accurately.

If you had just a foam mold you'd have to fill and seal all the pits and pores on the mold surface (which you would have a lot of) otherwise the casting would become mechanically locked to the mold.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

MannequinFan wrote:
If you had just a foam mold you'd have to fill and seal all the pits and pores on the mold surface (which you would have a lot of) otherwise the casting would become mechanically locked to the mold.
That's what I was thinking. I imagine these foam products look better from a distance than up close.
If he really wanted to try a foam mold, he might have to use a denser foam for the mold and a softer foam for the doll. Which he would want anyway.
I would try to find if there was a filler for the foam pores and a sealer for it first.

Cutting the mold in half a doing a decent job would be tricky. Especially between the legs and under arms. To get to the crotch, you would almost have to cut most of the foam block away to get in there.
I'm thinking you would have to mount the mannequin's feet down and build the box around it. Also build hollow cavities around the mannequin to eat up a lot of air space. This way you use less foam and hopefully only having to cut though 4-6" of foam rather than a 14" x 30" triangle between her legs!

Most large molds are an assembly of thin shell pieces rather than solid blocks.

Fiberglass guy

Post by Fiberglass guy »

any mold of a mannequin or other body part will have to be a 2 part mold, no way around that!

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

MannequinFan wrote:If you had just a foam mold you'd have to fill and seal all the pits and pores on the mold surface (which you would have a lot of) otherwise the casting would become mechanically locked to the mold.
This is a self skinning foam, so if done right there shouldn't be any pits and pores in the surface as any bubbles should close on contact with the mannequin surface. As far as i understand the surface should form as non porous.

rubherkitty, that foam doll doesn't look to bad until you see the close ups! Still, there is potential there, and it's cheap enough. Shipping to England could be pricey though.

Romulus, you can make the foam softer by using more of part B. It wouldn't be as soft as silicone, but i don't think it would be too unpleasant.

The biggest problem is going to be accurately cutting the mould down the middle and removing the mannequin.

Thanks for the input guys, time to do a little more thinking......

Jimjam.

opendolldesign

Post by opendolldesign »

I like where this is going. Self skinning foam requires enough back pressure to skin fully.
Open(source) Doll Design:

My instructions for creating a super soft, strong, silicone doll skin: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52174

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

opendolldesign wrote:I like where this is going. Self skinning foam requires enough back pressure to skin fully.
Exactly, as long as you build a mould box that's semi closed, with just enough airflow to allow for expansion it should self skin nicely. One problem iv'e thought of though, is would the doll you cast into the mould self skin OK, because as the mould will be flexible, it might prevent enough back pressure from being produced. Or if there is it may even deform?....aahhhh never though of that. A foam that's dense enough for the doll to self skin properly and not deform, yet flexible enough to allow removal of the mannequin....Hmmm {ponder} :puppydogeyes:

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Jimjam wrote: rubherkitty, that foam doll doesn't look to bad until you see the close ups!
Jimjam.
Are you talking about the shape and looks of it or the quality of the casting?

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

rubherkitty wrote:
Jimjam wrote: rubherkitty, that foam doll doesn't look to bad until you see the close ups!
Jimjam.
Are you talking about the shape and looks of it or the quality of the casting?
The quality of the casting....nothin' wrong with her buxom looks!

rubherkitty, are you familiar with this type of foam doll? I wonder how flexible they are. Maybe you could make some encisions and insert a simple wire skeleton, then put the whole thing in a latex catsuit. Maybe add some squishy water filled boobs? That might be rather fun! :mrgreen:
Attachments
$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG (19.52 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

I've never seen or handled one personally. If you think you cast cast one better than these prop makers that's great.

Just do some searching on member samara78 and/or dapper cadaver.
Samara bought one and was going to skeletonize it I think. He has disappeared from the TDF now.
Here's one to get you started: http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... er+cadaver

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

Thanks rubherkitty, that thread gave me some great ideas. He had a great idea for skinning, but how about doing it like this: Buy some silicone caulk, the stuff that goes in caulking guns and empty it into a bucket. Because it's air drying it should stay good for hours and hours. Add some powdered cosmetics to get a flesh tone and stir it all up. Next, just get a big handful and start gooping it onto the doll, spreading it out to get a roughly even coating - - Now here's the magic bit - - wet you hands and start smoothing it out. Iv'e done this with plaster, epoxy putty, car body filler and other things and you can achieve an incredibly smooth finish. If you keep your hands wet at all times it really aids with sculpting.

INFORMATIONS