Starpery.com

Dildoll´s making an animatronic doll face, other mods

Got an idea? Need an invention?
dildoll

Re: Dildoll´s making an animatronic doll face, other mods

Post by dildoll »

Good first step, thank you Traum1! I appreciate what you show us and the explanation. I ESPECIALLY am glad to know you have seen the same issue and have done a lot of research into it. I'm starting from scratch and have made progress, but not mixing 15 different types of silicone product" progress yet!

I understand you don't want to give anything away for free. The Joker said it best "If you are good at something NEVER do it for free".

I am taking the Dick Smith (SFX makeup god, google it) approach. He entered into the SFX makeup scene in the late 40's when every studio had their own internal makeup department. NOBODY would share any tips, formulas, methods, ANYTHING with him. So Mr.Smith kindly said to himself "screw you" and started making his own line of SFX makeup products, methods, and some ground breaking special makeup effects. THE DIFFERENCE: he shared. He opened the floodgate to all the aspiring SFX makeup artists like Rick Baker (genius, google it) and 1000's of others WW. What happened was not what you might think, Dick did not crumble by sharing his knowledge. In fact by sharing all those young SFX artists took his formulas as a stepping stool and pushed the whole industry forward. All of a sudden you have amazing makeup effects, animatronics, all sorts of incredible things that you can trace back to Dick Smith. He passed a year ago, but that world he created lives on and holds him on the pedestal he humbly earned.

I'm no Dick Smith.

BUT I will share (see all must ingredients and sources above) what I can with the DF community. Take it if you want. Or leave it. But I believe this closed-door mentality between manufacturers is an era that needs to go bye-bye. We are in a "maker" era now. People have 3D printers. The are hacking into phones. They are coding.

I'm supporting that attitude.

Aaaaand....maybe I'll keep a few tidbits to myself as well ;)

Traum1, can you at least give us a vid of the breast movement? They are BIG, so I would assume they would have a nice soft feel but that jiggle factor...hard to get.

RE. the silicone oil leaching out of Yves implants: YUP, totally agree. If you have a doubt take it out and put it on plain cardboard. Within an hour you will have a nice wet spot of silicone oil. My goal is to try to build a barrier that is capable of retaining that inevitable silicone oil leach. A non-permeable barrier...and I'm getting close!

Crowd? Ideas? Kickstart a perfect breast?

cheers

Silicondoll

Post by Silicondoll »

dildoll wrote: I understand you don't want to give anything away for free. The Joker said it best "If you are good at something NEVER do it for free".
see something different, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer,

r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by r363b »

this is a very informative posting .. keep it up .. Thank you Dildoll for your sharing with us your project.

Traum1 regarding your comment, "I can show you which products I used to remake the filling of the silicone breasts but I won´t tell you the exact mixture of the products and how I build it up., as you shouldn´t give away all your knowledge for free here as well."
... I do not really believe that a group of DIY'ers would or could make their own doll knowing all the skills and costs involved. What is needed is more sharing not less on how dolls are made so people can repair their doll, remember that customers have spent thousands of dollars, euros or pounds and need some quality support from anyone years after the sell.

Here is an example of another need for knowledge for repairs see his thread > http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=61077 .. my comment in this thread:
It would help people/customers more if ALL the doll manufacturers would show and explain their skeletons .. on their own web sites.
Reasons are; 1.) prevent others like dollpart1's video from misrepresenting the quality and design of said skeleton from the doll company (WM). 2.) if customer knows the mechanics of the skeleton's joints it would prevent damage in posing doll or repair if needed. 3.) disclosure and transparency and serenity promotes trust to the customer instead of any doubt. 4.) would prevent and/or answer questions before they are asked.
The skeletons cannot be "trade secrets" for long because others will provide the info needed for the informed public. I believe all doll makers should respect the customers need for all information before someone spends such a large amount of money.

In summary, sharing all the knowledge one has is what the forum is about. The TDF members are good people and work well together to support our community of doll owners. Please help us any way you can and great thanks will come your way.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

dildoll, do you have plans to make a video of the asian face using the animatronics and voice? Hope you can do a close up similar to the skull video so we can see the movements.

Thanks for sharing your great work.
RK
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

dildoll

Post by dildoll »

r363b wrote:
I do not really believe that a group of DIY'ers would or could make their own doll knowing all the skills and costs involved. What is needed is more sharing not less on how dolls are made so people can repair their doll, remember that customers have spent thousands of dollars, euros or pounds and need some quality support from anyone years after the sell.
Well said. History has shown this. I also think that there's no huge danger in showing the guts of what is going on. Traum1, let me ask you this: how many people do you know who can make a simple 2 part ultracal30 mold? It's the most simple mold you can make. But my guess is not many have even learned how to handle ucal30 in its various stages of curing that all happen very quickly and each stage is absolutely critical to finish in time before the next kicks in. That's essentially plaster. The most simple thing. I never brought up cure inhibition, what gloves to wear, what clay to use, how to keep those damn bristles from a chip brush out of your splash coat, mixes, cores, foams, silicones, etc etc.

Here is a pic from a manufacturer's website that is AWESOME to have handy in case you need to make repairs:
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
You know where things are and what tools you might need.

With my mecha and I think many other manufacturers it's kind of a guessing game on where to go. I usually can feel through the skin but ultimately end up finding it with a scalpel.

more coming soon...

cheers

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Will your animatronics work w/ any speech? Such as general AI conversation? I don't expect her mouth to lip sync perfectly w/ her dialogue. Just that she could move her mouth a little would be fine.

Do you ever envision being able to sell a skull w/ animatronics as a kit or just the animatronics?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

dildoll

Post by dildoll »

rubherkitty wrote:Will your animatronics work w/ any speech? Such as general AI conversation? I don't expect her mouth to lip sync perfectly w/ her dialogue. Just that she could move her mouth a little would be fine.
YES. Actually any audio - even music - plays through her mouth and it does sync for speech. I did this because it can communicate to any computer that is running voice software, maybe some A.I., etc etc. So regardless of your fav microcontroller, PC program, Mac program, anything that sends Bluetooth it will work.

To be clear it has been copyrighted at this point. Patent is also pending.

I may be open to offering a face as a complete system. No deals have been signed, it's all for me right now. This is a prototype face as well, and right now I'm tweaking some things. In a week or so I will post my final design's video.

ALSO: if people want custom faces I would just need pics of what you want. That's how I made this face. I went from references that you see in one pic above.

I wish I could show you what I and my company have made, but compared to our current and past projects this is very rudimentary...

cheers

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks
I'll impatiently wait for the project to come to fruition! LOL

I have plans to make some doll heads for a doll line I would like to make. The doll will be approx 4' - 4' 6" range so the head will need to be scaled down a little. Will your voice system and animatronics work in a smaller skull?

dildoll

Post by dildoll »

Yes.

And I LOVE the idea of a new line of smaller scale. Not creepy small, but not DD breasted (sorry to offend some of you) more like B or maybe even A cup. Dunno. But I do love anatomical doll's styles. Maybe too tall for what you are thinking, but the slender / athletic form I dig. I have ZERO intentions of starting a doll line, but maybe add-on mods (kinda like aftermarket mods) for everybody. I'm not signing on to any company. MD USA was interested but has fallen off the map. Hopefully because they are crazy busy and implementing positive changes. Obviously it fits theirs. But it can fit any doll with a scalpel and some silpoxy. The face of my mecha was not exactly glued on carefully anyways. NBD, wig hides it, but this is what it looked like before I did my work on her:
IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2490.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2040 times
I love the idea that some have about A.I. and interactivity. ROXXY doll was...interesting but put a lot of people off and really slammed the idea that something like this could work in a sane way.

cheers

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

I'm going for the just turned 18 petite hard body look. Willa is just about perfect!
Attachments
willa.jpg
willa.jpg (185.84 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

dildoll

Post by dildoll »

YUUUUUP!!!! I'm very very interested. VERY.

DDdioxine
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by DDdioxine »

rubherkitty wrote:I'm going for the just turned 18 petite hard body look. Willa is just about perfect!
Lovely!!
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

DD.

dildoll

Post by dildoll »

again....YUUUUP!!! As long as she's legal!

williamwld33

Post by williamwld33 »

I will have to try this idea someday. It looks as though it will be a fun project.

dildoll

Post by dildoll »

It's not rocket science, but to create a quality doll (god I hate saying "doll", it should be so much more than that) you will have to have a lot of experience in sculpting, molding, mechanical design, electrical design, finish artists, and some other professionals. Or you could just shoot from the hip and see what you can make solo. I like that method as well, but don't expect AD, Dsdoll, or MD doll quality. There is sooooo much that goes into making a quality doll than I think most of you know (Traum1 you are excluded from that last statement...you know more than most ;) ). Just saying respect is what all manufacturers deserve, regardless of their sometimes shifty (Matt) behavior in their sales and post-sales treatment of us.

cheers

INFORMATIONS