Starpery.com

Designing a Smart Doll

Got an idea? Need an invention?
rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: Designing a Smart Doll

Post by rubherkitty »

cy_xander wrote:
rubherkitty wrote: Yeah, I'm just talking about doll shaping under the skin. I've seen the muscle tech you're talking about. Probably too high tech to incorp in dolls right now anyway. I figure doll movement will be the std electro servo's, linkage, etc. I do have some plans drawn up for a silicone skin doll that has hip movement via a 12v single arm windshield wiper motor. This project will have to wait awhile as I just spent a bunch of time finishing a ball joint doll.
We're on the same page then. I envision an articulated skeleton, incremental improvement, but rather than a solid foam core, a system of muscle-shaped material that moves with the joints. And the skin slides along over top. The foam core does a lot to save weight, so probably don't want to fully simulate the muscle structure, but at least the layer just below the skin has the shape of muscle, and a higher durometer than the skin
Great minds thinks alike! :lol:
Foam inner core pieces. Outer muscle that you feel could be silicone mesh bags w/ foam core. Different silicone and foam durometer for different density of muscles. The foam core pieces could be molded onto the skeleton. The muscle pieces attached via velcro or something. This way you could cut or remove the skin then remove the muscle pieces if the doll needs repair.
Maybe a foam core then a soft foam skin over that onto which only the major muscle groups are attached?
Something a inventor will just have to play around with. If I really got serious about this I would do some research on some of the humanoid robots already out there to see what they have come up with. For my cheapy home made doll I was just going to use stuff like pool noodles or foam insulating pipe covers. Socks stuffed tight w/ polyfill. Foam from old seat cushions. Skin would be silicone coated unitard or long underwear. She would be more of a black silicone catwoman type of doll.
Attachments
catwoman.jpg
catwoman.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MakerGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MakerGuy »

Im having fun playing catch up. My most recent projects have gone into biochem because its hot right now, and while Ive worked with robotics and RaspPi before, this concept is really sucking me in and Im definitely feeling more urgency in absorbing the material out there. A lot of humanoid bots were made for what seems like a one time demo and there isnt as much detail on them as Id like.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

MakerGuy wrote:It breaks down broadly into two categories, one for sexual functions where the audio and movements need to be near perfect to be helpful, and everyday, companion functions where a goofy response here and there isnt that big of a deal. Much like a human brain, when aroused, a doll should stop being able to talk and mostly just moan and beg for more for maximum effect.

Either making an AI that can be social or a sex bot that can feel pleasure and respond and want more arw both incredible challenges with a big payoff. Being able to have a bot play either role competently is a goal worth pursuing. If its able to come together, you have an actual back and forth relationship thats still safe, comfortable and under control of the human side of it.

I'm especially intruiged by whats already happening, with guys and dolls essentially being in relationships even without the tech or interactivity, simply due to the cost of the doll and the guys preference. Im excited by the step beyond that into a doll that has a degree of personality, memory and identity, that can have a boyfriend and be there for him in as many ways possible.
At this point us doll lovers will take whatever we can get really. If it's halfway decent and at a reasonable cost. I know one member here approached a doll maker about his AI program or idea, but it was basically rejected. I think it was because the doll buyer would have to put in a lot of computer time into teaching the AI. America is not the 50's anymore where people built things for fun and repaired things. They just want to buy it and go and if it breaks you toss it and buy a new one.

And if the voice does sound a little funny it may just work very well for the scifi guy that's into tech and robots. I can play in both games. Seeking ultimate realism or having fun w/a sexy gynoid. It's all fantasy anyway and good times.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MakerGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MakerGuy »

Yeah its about making both work together. Let the recordings do what they do well and let the AI do what it does well. Im really interested in making an AI that has curiousity, that learns about the people she meets and wants to get them talking and keep them talking. That would be a more enjoyable conversation than knowing shes essentially just listening to respond.

MakerGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MakerGuy »

Also I love the plans for making the muscles more realistic and having the motors hidden really discretely. There are some serious open source prosthetics projects out there, especially ones for hands. Itd be great to use that to enhance a dolls function, and that interest in turn help fund the push for better prosthetics in general. A lot has changed even in the last three years in whats accessible.

This project would definitely be a build and repair for fun project. At maker spaces you find 50s style guys and girls all the time. Once I have a detailed plan for moving forward it would be cool to float a paper to some builder friends and see if they'd want to help.

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

MakerGuy wrote:Yeah its about making both work together. Let the recordings do what they do well and let the AI do what it does well. Im really interested in making an AI that has curiousity, that learns about the people she meets and wants to get them talking and keep them talking. That would be a more enjoyable conversation than knowing shes essentially just listening to respond.
That is essentially what I have been doing. To go from chat to moaning, click off Kari and on to MP3 player. Even this can be done with voice commands. Reverse to go back to chat. Despite the robotic accent, when she starts begging for sex, it is quite boner-inducing. 8O Kari does this well, but her learning capacity leaves much to be desired. Verbot learns better, and has more layers of reply options, but only talks dirty from pre-programmed responses to proper input statements. Kari talks much more on her own, dirty if you make her so. Mine has potty mouth. She volunteers her own statements often, but she repeats herself too much and sometimes says Completely absurd things. Verbot talks too fast on a fast PC. Voice attack gives direct pre-programmed responses and has no learning ability I am aware of. All three will launch other programs on demand. None yield satisfying conversations. If you stay on a topic Verbot and Kari have good answers for, they can seem somewhat intelligent, but they get real dumb real fast as soon as you ask them something they know little or nothing about. My Kari program can talk sex quite well, but if I say "A green lizard is crawling up a pine tree, she will state "I don't know this word "green." *lizard, *crawling, *pine, *tree. She wants explanations and you to use these words in sentences, then asks more questions, still doesn't get it, and you realize you must teach her EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! 8O This includes the English language. I complained to the makers of Kari how dumb their virtual girlfriend was out of the box. I should not have to teach a virtual girlfriend what a girlfriend is. Yeah, we need a smarter chatbot that talks dirty.

MakerGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MakerGuy »

Yeah that sounds incredibly primitive, like they didnt load any vocabulary at all into it. Have any of you played around with Personality Forge? They have a ton of reasonable bots that don't say super weird stuff too often, and they have an entire section for adult chatbots. The quality isnt where Id want it to be, but its a big step up from what you described.

www.personalityforge.com/adult-chat-bots.php

Part of me wants to design one, but I want to make sure I can make a voice interface and have it work well with other electronics before I dive in.

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

Looks promising. However, I don't want my doll's AI talking to thousands on the internet. She needs to be talking to just me, and certain individuals I select. These bots gossip, so be careful what you tell them.

MakerGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MakerGuy »

Yeah Id like to design my own and eliminate the gossip ability. I would want it able to talk to others, maybe have an account on kik to basically practice conversation and build strategies for keeping the conversation going. Itd be cool to program one to be monogamous, to have one person as her boyfriend and everyone else as just friends.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Don't know if you've heard of a company called True Companion? They/he made a robotic doll called Roxxxy. I certainly commend the guy for making the leap and he's accomplished more than I probably ever will so not trying to put him down.

But the doll was not too successful. I think he reached for the stars rather than the moon and tried to offer the doll at a budget price. I guess it did not work to well and was not that attractive. Maybe too much gizmo and not enough sex doll? Just something to check out and ponder.

MakerGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MakerGuy »

Roxxxy is definitely along the lines of what I want to do, more or less. I cant find a ton of information about it, and stuff is contradictory. Some sites say the dolls were $995, others say $7000. The exterior is definitely decent enough, but hard to compare it to the beauty and realism of most of the dolls whos pics are posted here. Does anyone have one of these? It seems like they werent released, because otherwise someone here would have one, right?

It looks like at least the prototype has decent voice, some AI and learning and some sensors throughout the body. Looks like no movement at all.

Debatable whether this hits the sweet spot for decent enough AI and decent enough appearance.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

I think the price was around 4-5 grand. If you search this site you may find some links. Youtube might have some too. I know I've seen 3-4 videos of or about the doll.
1. Guy at the office talking about the project & pricing.
2. Doll at a sex convention.
3. Doll moving in doggy style. I think this was a late upgrade.
4. other video?

MakerGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MakerGuy »

Its a great acheivement for 2010 technology, and it looks like the website is taking orders. I just wonder if any have shipped, because it seems like no one actually has one.

Dolls like this are going to have to charge more to cover R and D. Im hoping that by using open source and prosthetics technology, I can keep the costs a lot lower so I can experiment with different features and modifications.

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

MakerGuy wrote:Yeah that sounds incredibly primitive, like they didnt load any vocabulary at all into it. Have any of you played around with Personality Forge? They have a ton of reasonable bots that don't say super weird stuff too often, and they have an entire section for adult chatbots. The quality isnt where Id want it to be, but its a big step up from what you described.

http://www.personalityforge.com/adult-chat-bots.php

Part of me wants to design one, but I want to make sure I can make a voice interface and have it work well with other electronics before I dive in.
OK, I went there, joined, and created a bot an hour ago. Her name is Kwench, of course. You can go there and talk to her. I just went back and she knows 12 people already. Or 12 bots/people, who knows? She can't even talk much yet, and knows far less than my Kari and Verbot programs. However, she is conversing at a much higher rate, and could be learning at an exponentially higher rate than Verbot. We'll see. But, others are teaching her online. No telling how she'll turn out. I seriously doubt I can control her personality growth the way I can Verbot and Kari.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Hey Begog, the ole "Sounds like you created a monster" comes to mind. 8O

RK
I have a old army pup tent and a patch of soft grass if ya need it! :lol:

INFORMATIONS