Starpery.com

3d printed eyes with quick change lenses

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Thyla613
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: 3d printed eyes with quick change lenses

Post by Thyla613 »

MannequinFan wrote:Wow, thanks so much for the comparison photos Sinsual! :)

I have to agree now that I see them side by side in the doll, the 12mm does look a bit more natural.
The actual human iris is anywhere from 10.2mm to 13mm with an average of 12mm diameter, so the 14mm is definitely a bit larger than life.
I guess it's a matter of whether you prefer the oversize fantasy look to a more realistic appearance.
Perhaps the 14mm would be better suited to fantasy types like cat eyes?
Anyway, thanks again Sinsual for taking the time to do the comparison!
This thread is a bit aged and I am not sure if anyoone still reads it. I like the exchangeable iris' a lot and maybe will -if I would get them- add my doll to the iris-scanner on the new Samsung S7 so that she can watch netflix if she gets bored ;) and I am out.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Watch-ho ... ed_id83413

But what REALLY blew my mind is the abstraction of the eyelids. They do NOT have to be glued onto the original eyelids and that is ingenious!!

I used words that are not for the ears of a lady whether she be TPE or flesh when I tried the umptheened time to glue on eyelashes which stuck on everything other than her eyelids. They tended erspecially to like sticking on my fingers, together with that glue that does not come off skin ... giving the term 'talk to the hand an interesting visual aspect'. I was 'thinking within the box' that it never would have occurred to me. 'The world is flat and eyelashes have to be glued to eyelids' and everything else is heresy!

When I saw that round-world concept on photos higher up, (re-)applying eyelashes could become a 'walk-in-the-park as opposed to a study in loosing the anger-control fight when applying them the 'classical' way with glue, frustration, tweezers and lashes all over the place.

As much as the price for 3d printers went down, it is still a tad too expensive to buy one and the needed software plus material for the occasional eyelash replacement. Plus to learn 3d-design and to actually perform the design in 3d seems also a more than a weekend effort.

Which gets me finally to my christmas - or earlier - wish (I have been kinda, sorta good this year, Santa). Do you or someone on this board print them on request? There was -obviously- an enormous amount of research invested into sourcing, testing the best eyeball options, magnets of this teensy size, etc. and then naturally the eyelid-application-optimizer (I found no better word for it). If you do, I would love to buy a few sets of each (I have 3 dolls, which -I am sure- won't mind sharing irises. especally since I would stop sticking fingers and applicators in their eyes and getting frustrated and starting to growl).

It would save me some remains of sanity and frustration...

... and I would appreciate any help enormously

Thyla613

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Thyla613 wrote:This thread is a bit aged and I am not sure if anyoone still reads it.
LOL! Yes, it's a bit aged like me, and few people still read me either. :lol:

Thanks for the thread resuscitation though and welcome to TDF Thyla!
This is sort of an ongoing project I've been working on now and then and I just keep adding things as they develop.
This thread is young though in comparison to my Abby project which I'm starting to think may never get done.

In the last few weeks I've been working on a new system that will eliminate the cotton balls and allow the eyes to move much easier, as well as some refinements on the eyelid inserts.
A sneak peak at the new system...
IMG_4195.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG (469.67 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
From this...
IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG (646.08 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
To this in just minutes. No need for eye makeup or lower lashes that come off constantly.
The lower lid insert has a special shape that makes lower lashes unnecessary (IMO)...
IMG_4191.JPG
IMG_4191.JPG (629.44 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Here's the complete transformation from Gerber baby lookalike to hot young woman.
And yes, it's the same head (WM#21). :o
Aggie before-after.JPG
Aggie before-after.JPG (759.41 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
I want to give a huge thanks to TDF member Tubee for donating this nice WM#21 head for my mad experiments!
I couldn't have done any of this without it.

P.S.
If anyone wants to know more about how I did the eyebrow and lip makeup, let me know and I'll post more about it, maybe in another thread.

poppy70
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by poppy70 »

Hello MannequinFan,

this eye + lid combination looks great, and it surely makes it easier to pose and change the eyes. The icing on these great eyes would be veins in the white part of the eye, but that would have to be painted on, because I cannot imagine that you could print in two colours (right now)

Found some interesting site about rendering eyes as pre-diploma (unfortunately only in German) completely with mathematical formulas and calculations.

And also ready renderings like this one
http://www.dario-net.de/pages/en/layout ... ploma.html

That might be the next evolutionary step for your eyes :-)

poppy
Poppys girls
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
click on image to go to their thread

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hi poppy, thanks for the compliment and suggestions! :)

To be honest I've always thought veining was a bit of overkill as you hardly see them, but it's possible to do veining by drawing some light squiggles on the eyeball with a red ultra fine sharpie and then smudging them a little.
Very easy to ruin a set of eyeballs that way also. :)

However I may try doing some veining sometime on some practice eyes to see how they look with Aggie.

Thyla613
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Thyla613 »

'Gerber lookalike' - ROFL, true!

Oh, yeah!! The lower lashes! I used language that I did not even knew I had! I get the eyebrows (and youtube was my friend). I found also out that (very, very leettle - virtually invisible) blush on cheeks add an enormous subliminal effect on the observer. The eye area is really the main issue. You can remove lipgloss, blush, whatever ... but you cannot remove rampant glue on your (and the doll's) skin and unless you have enough heads to screw up you will not get the expertise to add those darn lashes. And without them ... well, we've all been there.

I love the eyeBALL concept. The eyes are hemispheral stuffed with cotton wool from the inside which makes adjustment hard to impossible BUT they change directions (line of sight) on their own so easy. Even though I like my fave doll just the way she is (without eyebrows, lashes and a kind of dusty skin), it makes me both cringe and grin when I move her around and she looks afterwards less sexy but more like 'Clarence' in the old, old show 'Daktari':

So, if the eyes are round, that would make it easy to have the gaze adjusted, but would they not also easier loose focus?

thyla

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Great innovations happening.

I watched a video on Guy's eyeballs or that system and they used red fibers from yarn or nylon?
Been a couple of yrs now since I watched the vid, but I figured I may try it on a set of eyes when I have time.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Thyla613
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Thyla613 »

@ poppy70

Since German is my native language I looked at the link. The page itself is in english, but the 'studienarbeit' is in German. I thought that Google translate would be helpful, but as I found out, the document was written with ghostscript and cannot be converted to plain text.

I am deviating from the current context a bit and if you don't care about, just ignore this reply.

The doll universe is not limited to the english speaking sphere (never was) and it is sometimes cool to read some article/review/topic in a different language than the one we know. Ordering or even finding what you need was up to recently limited to the language you spoke. This may give us some foot on the ground to order directly from the manufacturer instead of through an agent. Automagic translation came a long, long way since I was confronted with multilingual texts some 15 years ago.

english to german still sucks while german to english is quite impressive.

I use it from time to time translating Malayan to English and Chinese to English which helps immensely on some message boards and naturally websites.

But that's not all - for those who are interested - Skype allows you now to chat in different languages.

I tried typing and it's near perfect in english/german/english, but what blew my mind was real time speech translation:

It started ridiculously bad in 2014 and you will get a good laugh off of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rek3jjbYRLo

but look at the progress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87pHe6mP0I
(it brought tears into my eyes)

... and less tear-jerking but equally impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWTySUGXR2k

So, since most dolls are not "Made in the USA" (and naturally for anything other than dolls also) it is helpful to be able to understand other languages and reply/communicate in the other language.

For that you have -free of charge-

Google translate: https://translate.google.com/
and
Bing translate: https://www.bing.com/translator

I would however never use any of those services for confidential information exchange without additional measures so that what 'happens in Hong Kong stays in Hong Kong'. Ask Mr. Edward Snowden.

I apologize if this excursion is not directly related to dolls eyes (but indirectly IMHO). I truly believe that it is good to know that we are not limited to english websites anymore and that we CAN contact and communicate with foreign sources as easily as if they were in the same state or bundesland.

thyla

Mike0122

Post by Mike0122 »

Wow cool stuff here. I'll definitely be wanting some of these when I get my girl.

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

12mm eyes, adjustable posts.
I know the eyes aren't perfect. These pics are to gauge the size and color.
New blue:
Jotti9.jpg
Jotti9.jpg (508.15 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
Purple:
Jotti10.jpg
Jotti10.jpg (516.37 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
Old blue:
Jotti11.jpg
Jotti11.jpg (516.3 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
Amber:
Jotti12.jpg
Jotti12.jpg (630.95 KiB) Viewed 3797 times

4biddenartist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by 4biddenartist »

you bet your arse I will be ordering another set when I order my next head!
I think therefore,
I try not to.
-me

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

This is Vema, the #46. She simply has bigger eye sockets, and bigger eyes to go with them. I've had this doll almost a year, and she continues to blow me away.
14mm, standard 14mm eyeballs....

Amber:
Vema53.jpg
Vema53.jpg (547.93 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Reddish Amber.... YUM! :D :
Vema54.jpg
Vema54.jpg (602.97 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Vema56.jpg
Vema56.jpg (593.67 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Blue:
Vema55.jpg
Vema55.jpg (540.15 KiB) Viewed 3791 times

Purple:
Vema57.jpg
Vema57.jpg (533.27 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Vema59.jpg
Vema59.jpg (501.55 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Green & Gold:
Vema58.jpg
Vema58.jpg (506.45 KiB) Viewed 3791 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hehe, I see you found the surprise lens! :D

Thanks for all the nice photos Begog!

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:Great innovations happening.

I watched a video on Guy's eyeballs or that system and they used red fibers from yarn or nylon?
Been a couple of yrs now since I watched the vid, but I figured I may try it on a set of eyes when I have time.
Thanks RK! There may still be some things to get ironed out.
I'll be making a YouTube tomorrow to show how it's working with Aggie.
The big question is how well it will work with other heads.

Yeah the red fibers, I think I've seen that too. Guy was amazing.
Don't think I have the visual acuity anymore to do that kind of stuff though.
Mike0122 wrote:Wow cool stuff here. I'll definitely be wanting some of these when I get my girl.
4biddenartist wrote:you bet your arse I will be ordering another set when I order my next head!
Thanks very much Mike and 4bidden!

mi6c
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by mi6c »

MannequinFan wrote:If anyone wants to know more about how I did the eyebrow and lip makeup, let me know and I'll post more about it, maybe in another thread.
me me me :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: 8O :roll: :whistle:
優月( Yuzuki) - Orient Industry Koyuki head / Silicone Art Super Styling(SS) body
艶( Tsuya) - Orient Industry Izumi head on Jewel Real Taste 146(L) body
Tinúviel - EXDOLL Samantha head on Orient Industry Jewel Candy Girl( Jewel 2) body
Yuzuki, Tsuya & friends

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

mi6c wrote:
MannequinFan wrote:If anyone wants to know more about how I did the eyebrow and lip makeup, let me know and I'll post more about it, maybe in another thread.
me me me :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: 8O :roll: :whistle:
Alright mi6c, I'll try to do a little YouTube demo on the eyebrows. I'll just do one on the back of her head to show you.

The lips are very simple. Just applied some eye shadow color with a small soft artist brush, then brushed on some Permatex flowable silicone for a shiny seal coat. I haven't yet noticed any ill effects on the TPE with the Permatex. I'm not sure it will hold up to a blowjob, but I'm not going to use the head for that purpose so it should last quite a while. The lip color is NYC #811B Island Sunset.
I also placed a little printed part in her mouth to hold the lips open a bit. A short 5/8" diameter dowel rod would also work for this.

Here's a couple of pics of Aggie in sleep mode (with lower lid removed)... :sleeping:
IMG_4197.JPG
IMG_4197.JPG (711.14 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG (675.94 KiB) Viewed 3731 times

INFORMATIONS