Computer Interface for your Doll

Got an idea? Need an invention?
mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi xxxtoytech.

I have studied your great parallel PC interface, and the devices you want to controll with it [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].
But I have some queations about it.
I think you use an stuffed doll for applying these stuff. To throw eight motors in a doll is not an easy job I think.
Hou do you attach the motors and the microswitches to the doll / vagina?
The idea sounds great, such interactive sex doll [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but I think it may take a lot of time to build one. Maybe I'll try it, programming the interface is no point for me, creating the interface and installing all that motor's is another point. I haven't much knowledge of microelectronics, but I'am able to learn.

Greatings
mytime

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

Mark and I put a computer interface into a doll the last time I was in California, no wait... it was the time before that. We took a doll with the thruster installed and I wrote a VB6 program console to run the doll and a remote controller to be installed in the doll.

Only 4 lines were needed... so I was able to use standard telephone line.

1 - Ground
2 - TX Data
3 - RX Data
4 - Power

We had her doing all sorts of things. There are two PIC microprocessors out now that have USB built into them, and the new PBASIC Pro supports USBIN and USBOUT commands. (Also USBINIT)

The electronics are the easy part.
Jerry
Here is the original story.

Sith_Lord

Post by Sith_Lord »

Just a thought, Why not use a wireless link? There pretty cheap now and very small. I have seen a device that may work well as a sensor. It's in the shape of a ribbon and reacts to flexing. I beleve there available from jameco electronics or Digi-key Jameco has a lot of robotics type components available and good pricing. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

Id you read my post you would have seen the description of the wireless link.

Jerry

Sith_Lord

Post by Sith_Lord »

I found that sensor from jameco: Flex sensor you could embed this in the silicon. These look interesting also: Pistons only 1lb pull though. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi There,
Even a reply, on this subject.
xxxtoytechs idea was to build something that costs nearly nothing [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].
I saw at the first moment that if you do proper study at the subject, there were more elegant solutions for controlling a love doll or wat kind of android...
But they are then more expensive than xxxtoytech's idea.
Maybe you will have more fun, when you invest some more money in the idea, because you get then more value for your money.

With best regards, mytime

xxxtoytech
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by xxxtoytech »

Hi mytime
The motors I use are one of two types; small vibrators from pagers and 12 volt hobby motors. The motors are encased in either aluminum or plastic tubes; the mounting is dependent upon the size and function but in the case of the pager motors these can be embedded in foam to mimic vasocongestion etc. I'm working with vibrators right now for the simple reason that other technologies (hydraulic, pneumatic, artificial muscle) are complex or difficult to use. Microswitches are triggered by a piece of plastic tubing pressing against the switch. The tubing is stiff enough to transmit movement but bends if too much pressure is applied and keeps the switch from breaking. As for taking alot of time to build the doll, everything takes time, the more complex something is the more time it takes.

You seem to misunderstand my reasons for using a parallel port interface. Cost is only one of the reasons, the primary one is that it is easy to get a parallel port interface up and running quickly. Low power devices (less than 500mA) can be driven directly from the interface board, switches can be hooked directly to the interface board inputs, making changes involves loosening a screw. Using the interface from a programming aspect is easy too.

There are more elegant ways to control a doll or android but these solutions are usually more complex; why worry about a wireless link when you've got a power cable sticking out of her back anyway. I should also stress that the parallel port interface is not intended to be a commercial solution or product, it is intended only for experimentation. As Jerry says, the electronics are the easy part; once the muscles, sensors or whatever you are working on is up and running, replace it with a faster, more up-to-date connection. When I'm developing something I go for straightforward, reliable, rugged, easy to troubleshoot and use. It frees up the time to work on the interesting problems.

One other thing. For all of the sophisticated networking, microprocessors and sensors that are available, I still haven't seen sex dolls/androids built with anything more than the most primitive mechanical functions. Even if we forget about the latest developments in artificial muscles and AI, there is still alot of stuff we can do with conventional technology. Why wait?

Regards
xxxtoytech

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by deusbot »

I think I see the place for the style of dolls for inventors. Just as a prototype looks nothing like the finished product, with all sorts of access and debugging points. I went with japanese foamies because they are easy to perform surgery on and repair. Running wires and adding a skeleton is easy. While they don't have the art finish of a silicone doll, they do make good prototyping tools. The same with using the RS-232 module I use. All the wiring was with a terminal strip, so adding sensors was easy, and the analog subsumed the digital. It could handle light, pressure, orientation and microswitches. Every 50 ms it updates an array of 10 values, so other processes can use that info.

But ultimately, its just a prototype used to learn about what should work and what doesn't. Having them teaches a lot about producing software for this new medium. It requires more than just chopping up a virtual sex audio file, and playing them for each sensor. At least it does if you want it to be something other than distractly repetative after 3 minutes. But you learn that from playing with real systems. As much as I would LOVE to have a polished, open access, wireless sensor and motion doll, having a doll with sensors and mechanics to experiment with is better than nothing. Especially since nothing is the current alternative.

Guess we're born 5 years too early. Got to go invent the plane before we can buy a ticket [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My interpertation of xxxtoytechs design is the hobbyist PC, a required step toward the first commercial systems. Maybe we should start the "Dr. Bobbs Journal of SexBots" or "LoveBytes".....

(Back to studying the fluid dynamics of the male female cylinder piston interfacing ...a field a old teacher friend called "fuc-sics", the study of the mechanics of sex).

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

Mechanical switches are bad. They have a limited range, only a binary outout, I.E. ON or OFF and are prone to mechanical failure.

Embed a Hall effect transistor, variable type into the silicone with a magnet a certain distance from it. Now you can measure rotation, compression, tension all with one sensor. And... no moving parts so to speak.

At least no mechanical linkages to fail.
Jerry

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

I used BASIC because I am more familiar with it. There are C rograms out there, and the parts required to program the chip are minimal. I wrote a segment on my robotics page here: http://www.robomo.com/electronics101/programming/programming101.html

As you can see... it only takes 3 resistors, a socket, and a ceramic resonator to build the programmer. The parts are all available from http://digikey.com

Jerry

xxxtoytech
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by xxxtoytech »

Hi Jerry
I've never tried Hall Effect sensors before but it sounds like an interesting technology and I'll most likely give it a try in the very near future. For binary switches on a commercial item I might tend to go with an optical switch (LED/phototransistor). These are rugged and reliable; I've got a 14 year old dot-matrix printer I use for printing out programming code and it uses an optical switch to sense carriage position. Still working after thousands of pages. I also looked at my inkjet printer and it uses an optical switch too. I haven't had any problems with mechanical switches but I do replace them quite often when I rebuild/refurbish/upgrade.

One thing I'm investigating is sensor fusion; use many sensors and reducing the data locally with a microcontroller before sending it to the main computer/processor.

Regards
xxxtoytech

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Jerry,

Thinking about to build this thing!
Looks nice. And the whole stuff with the microcontroller is sufficient for moving parts of the doll.
I'am willing to help you to build a good and structured nice C program for controlling this stuff!
When the project grows, I think other technology for controlling the doll is more interesting. When using something like a very small pc or a palmtop inside the doll for controlling that can be connected to another pc you have a more powerfull device with more capacity (memory and calculation power) in it. Data exchange with another pc is easyer then, and these systems run Windows ME or something like that. More suitable for programming AI, and storing more data for voice response etc.
With Best Regards,

mytime

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

Most people think the best way to build a robot, android, or other multifunction device is to install a large, powerful computer.

Look at the human body... do you stop to think about evey breath you take? Do you decide to increase your heart rate or cause your pores to open and close to regulate body temperature?

No. Why?

Because each is an independent sub-function of the brain. The brain is not a singular biological computer as some would beleive. It is a cluster of smaller, independent microclusters. Or more correctly, interdependent nodules.

In a love doll you would want one nodule to control the hip thrusting, another for artificial breathing, another for temperature control, and others for movement and/or lubrication pumps. Each nodule would function within specific parameters under normal conditions. When the central processor has a special request, it can overide normal procedure for a special function. When completed, control is returned to the subprocessor module.

Think about this... you are breathing normally and fall into a lake or pool. Your brain takes over control of the breathing subnodule and sends the command to "hold breath" while it works on getting to the surface. Once on the surface, your mind diverts to other tasks like swimming to finding a footing to get out. The breathing sub nodule is no longer under control so it begins to function under it's normal routine... checking the body's needs and regulating the breathing to compensate.

Think how complex the brain's programing would need to be to accomplish this... every possible combination would need to be calculated. Instead... we are made of nerve clusters that can perform independent tasks when needed.

My most successful robots have multiple processors within them. The programing is very simple. If I issue "FORWARD" the robot moves... I do not need to send detailed data on how to relocate the servo positions to create each step. I have a sub-processor in each LEG. These are tied to a "gait processor" which in turn is connected to the main communications processor.

But... that's another story. Anyway... start thinking in terms of inter-dependency and not one master program.

Jerry

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Jerry,
I have studied this interresting stuf about your Atmel microprocessor. It truly looks great, and more interresting than an parallel port interface. Doll's have their own brains in these way, and are more usable in this way. Besides that, I find this kind of projects interesting not only from the "sexual aspect" of it but from the "programmer aspect" too. I have a job as computer programmer and feel comfortable in an elegant programming laguage as C. I wondered that all programming work for superbabe was done in a disgusting laguage as Basic... [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] . Would like to write some nice C program's I think the Superbabe girl is worthy it to be driven in C language, the girl earns it to be driven in a better laguage than that disgusting basic! So I went on studying the Atmel processor, and saw there are C programming tools available for it, so that is not the difficulty. My time is limited, but I'am interested in the project and would like to learn something more about controlling mechanical devices from microprocessors. I'am thinking this project may be ideal for doing this. So I'am hardly tinking about building your programmable module. I'am from the Netherlands, I don't know how hard it is to get the components here. Furter, but that is another affair, I have'nt seen any Dutch members here. I think there are not so much doll owners in the Netherlands, and the nearlyest doll producer is the German Andy doll (I must once step in the car for going to look there) H'mmm, somethimes dreaming about producing a Dutch doll, the Netherlands their own realistic doll ha ha [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

With Best Regards,

mytime

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Jerry,
Think youre right. I have a girlfriend (not a relation that's something others) that was about to design a system that works in the same manner. Multiple independent processors, that are in network connection to each other and do the job togeter.

With Best Regards,

Freek

INFORMATIONS