Starpery.com

Dottie's Home-made Doll Stand. No Special Tools.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
BelShanar
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BelShanar »

Well, I finally made Camp's doll stand for Sophia!

Turns out that the plans are too tall for a BoyToyDoll. Sophia's hells float about 5 and a half inches off of the support board floor of the stand. Even in the most aggressive heels ever, her feet would still not touch the ground.

So I'll go back to the store tomorrow to exchange one of the pipe lengths for a slightly shorter one. Not too much shorter mind you :wink: but one short enough that she won't dangle all the time.

Otherwise it was actually quite simple to build. I highly recommend making one of these to anyone who has a full body doll!

Miss_San_Diego
Former Member

Post by Miss_San_Diego »

Campdaan stand is great I want one but for those looking to make one Floor flanges are not avalibe in the UK some other parts may also have to be imported
<div>Miss San Diego</div>

wondering
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by wondering »

Sorry to be late to the party with my question.

But, with the winch hook being lower than the hanging hook, how do you get a heavy doll from one hook to the other? Do you just bear hug the doll or do you try to avoid that maneuver?

Would it be easier to do a little redesign and have the winch hook above the hanging hook? Then, you could raise the doll to the hanging hook height and push her onto the hanging hook, I think.

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

W....

It would be nice if the winch hook could also be used as the hanging hook so that no transfer of the doll was necessary. One would have to have a way of locking the winch after a hoist.

technoguy
I am NOT currently a doll owner.

BelShanar
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BelShanar »

Im sure that someone with the proper motivation and dedication to the task could easily make that idea happen. Personally, I have no need for a winch hook to work with a hanging hook as I have only the hanging hook for my doll stand, and Sophia likes the hanging hook well enough.

I just hope that the wait (another story for the BT section) until I get home isn't too painful.

But seriously, I would think that making the hoist a permanent part of the stand should be easy enough.

Miss_San_Diego
Former Member

Post by Miss_San_Diego »

Can anyone give us a website where to buy the 2ft niples from as that is another part not avalible in the uk here they come in 3 meter lenths and cost around £50 :(

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

Miss S_D,

A lot of the parts for that particular stand were not available in Australia either, at least not where I am. It is just a question of looking for what is available and modifying to suit. Alternatively check out

http://www.dollforum.com/modules.php?na ... 751#216751

and

http://www.dollforum.com/modules.php?na ... nd&start=0

for ideas. There are other threads too I think with stand options.

I prefer the wood stand in those threads for everyday use as it is easier to include a posture fixture and the lift on / lift off is easier as it is a straight up / down motion without needing to negotiate a hook. It is also less bendy. I still use the piping stand though, especially for just hanging about, when moving Tash from one level to another (two large steps in our split level house) or when positioning the wood stand for - um - 'activities'. It is just easier to go from one stand to another rather than lift her from a chair or similar.

Hope this helps?

muzza
Tash’s Gallery
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=11065
Ah Love Could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry scheme of things entire Would not we shatter it to bits and then remould it nearer to the Heart's desire.

Miss_San_Diego
Former Member

Post by Miss_San_Diego »

muzza wrote:Miss S_D,

A lot of the parts for that particular stand were not available in Australia either, at least not where I am. It is just a question of looking for what is available and modifying to suit. Alternatively check out

http://www.dollforum.com/modules.php?na ... 751#216751

and

http://www.dollforum.com/modules.php?na ... nd&start=0

for ideas. There are other threads too I think with stand options.

I prefer the wood stand in those threads for everyday use as it is easier to include a posture fixture and the lift on / lift off is easier as it is a straight up / down motion without needing to negotiate a hook. It is also less bendy. I still use the piping stand though, especially for just hanging about, when moving Tash from one level to another (two large steps in our split level house) or when positioning the wood stand for - um - 'activities'. It is just easier to go from one stand to another rather than lift her from a chair or similar.

Hope this helps?

muzza
Tash’s Gallery
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=11065
yes I hear what you are saying Thanks! however it would be nice to know what company or shop in the US where camp and others are getting the parts from name of shop would be good as this stand would be most suitable they then may have a website or phone number where we could order and import the parts then everyone intrested could make one

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

Miss_San_Diego wrote:yes I hear what you are saying Thanks! however it would be nice to know what company or shop in the US where camp and others are getting the parts from name of shop would be good as this stand would be most suitable they then may have a website or phone number where we could order and import the parts then everyone intrested could make one
I believe you can get everything you need from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I don't know if they ship to the UK, but it is worth a look at least.
Paige and Monica: Album and Blog

Miss_San_Diego
Former Member

Post by Miss_San_Diego »

manekineko wrote:
Miss_San_Diego wrote:yes I hear what you are saying Thanks! however it would be nice to know what company or shop in the US where camp and others are getting the parts from name of shop would be good as this stand would be most suitable they then may have a website or phone number where we could order and import the parts then everyone intrested could make one
I believe you can get everything you need from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I don't know if they ship to the UK, but it is worth a look at least.
Thanks kindly for that manekineko you not going to believe this actully just found another site that do fitting Ihave posted on open forums for people in the UK however this helps so thanks again

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

BelShanar wrote:Well, I finally made Camp's doll stand for Sophia!

Turns out that the plans are too tall for a BoyToyDoll. Sophia's hells float about 5 and a half inches off of the support board floor of the stand. Even in the most aggressive heels ever, her feet would still not touch the ground.

So I'll go back to the store tomorrow to exchange one of the pipe lengths for a slightly shorter one. Not too much shorter mind you :wink: but one short enough that she won't dangle all the time.

Otherwise it was actually quite simple to build. I highly recommend making one of these to anyone who has a full body doll!
I been toying with the idea of making the Dottie Stand adjustable because of multiple dolls. I found with a bit of grinding, or sanding, a 3/4" pipe will fit in the 1" pipe. This is what I came up with.

This is the head unit attached inside the main pipe. The 3/4" pipe is a 12" nipple and the main 1" pipe is 3' long. I think my base nipples are a bit shorter than Camp's. I used 4" at the heel and 2" at the toe.

The head piece has 5 holes tapped for a 3/8" bolt, 1" apart.

It's a little tough to see, but on the other side of the white streak is a groove ground in for clearance in the 1" pipe. The 1" pipe has a weld line running the length of the pipe on the inside, so it is easer to grind a groove on the outside of a pipe than to file the inside of a pipe :wink: It is easy to mark a straight line. Lay the pipe on a table with a board next to it, then mark with a Sharpie. If you don't have a small grinder or Dremel tool invest in one, otherwise you will be forever with a file. You also need to take the scale off the outside of the 3/4" pipe for better fit. A sanding disc or belt sander with rough paper will do this easily. I also put the groove on the front side of the stand.

This is a reducing coupling. I ground out the 3/4" threads so the pipe can slide freely. I put this on for protection against the otherwise exposed 1" threads.

I got the idea from Stacy to make the back rest heart shaped. It turns out the shape is prefect for the contours of the upper part of the butt 8) I shaped it with the belt sander.

Ceilidh tries it out

As Bel said the stand is lower for Boy Toys.

Now go make a stand for your doll WORM!

http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/th ... 262&page=1

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Wow Incred ! Think Ceilidh will share those plans with Dottie ?

BelShanar
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BelShanar »

I know Sophia e-Mailed me last night to say how much she likes that idea. I may just have to incorporate it into my doll stand once I get home!

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

Wow! That is excellent. Adjustability has been my only real beef with the version of the stand I have. That is a great modification. Thank you for sharing! Now I have to see if this is something I can do with mine.
Paige and Monica: Album and Blog

BelShanar
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BelShanar »

Don't know why it never occurred to me (or anyone else) to make this a sticky, but it is/was long over due!

An amazingly simple creation that most doll owners should build.

Congrats Camp! Your invention is making many doll owners very happy. And their dolls too!

INFORMATIONS