inventor FAQ

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Franklin

inventor FAQ

Post by Franklin »

PROJECT:
"Building A 'How, What, When, Why and 'Where to go' inventor FAQ list!"

BACKGROUND:
I have talked with DaveCat and taken on the task of creating an FAQ for inventors... Basically we are creating a new "Inventors FAQ" because many really good ideas of things that work well (and other good things to know NOT to do) have been posted here on the Doll Forum in various places. To that end this post will be sticky

IMPLEMENTATION:
Please email stuff you want to see in the FAQ to FRANKLIN@XSOBBS.COM

==============================================
EXAMPLE SUB TOPICS IN A WRITTEN LIST

Let me give you an example of my organization scheme:

Basically ,,, since these ideas are scattered all over creation I wanted to make a or a sub-forum that could only be posted to (not replied)... OR BETTER a single FAQ for them that would be added to or edited by a group of folks (like me, Nada, Wonko or anyone that was interested)

An brief FAQ will follow ...

Proposed additions ... (the below for the "MOLD MAKING" FAQ section)

=================

SHORT TERM or ONE-OFF MOLD SHELL:

1. Pottery and clay, my art teacher's fave!
2. Lifecasting with PLASTER.
3. Lifecasting with ALGINATE

=================

HEAVY DUTY SHELLS (REUSABLE & SALEABLE!)
[Using a ceramic, plaster or concrete positive]

1. Heavy duty CONCRETE used to encase or encapsulate a metal shell - adds durability - and some poundage! PHOTOS WILL BE IN FAQ!

2. TIN casting (light and melts at 250f or so) also very cheap
too and holds REMARKABLE detail! PHOTOS WILL BE IN FAQ!

3. Bronze casting ... using lost wax method & using ceramic (or other aggregate material) for an internal "model" - done in two pieces - top and bottom - BRICK WORK or similar will be needed in shell to take up space (and save weight as those areas are will not be cast (empty space - weight saving). PHOTOS WILL BE IN FAQ!

=========

SUPPLIES

1. OVERVIEW - Types of Silicone what shore hardness is, how to
mix and (most impoortant) how not to waste on a "learning curve"

2. HOT MELT, how to work with dangers etc...
PHOTOS WILL BE IN FAQ!

3. Cleaning supplies - where and how to get - best kinds

etc, etc, etc ... you have the idea by now, I think ...

BRIEF Q&A TO ANSWER THE OBLIGATORY REPLIES TO THIS POST ...

Q: Will this hurt the manufacturers, won't they hate us for it?

A: NOT HARDLY - There is PLENTY of business to go around. Second (speaking only for myself though I know I am not the only one) as an inventor and as a rabid fan of this industry I will give my ideas away (as OpenSource Toys!) and so much the better for helping the industry.

Q: Well I want to sell my _______ (actual mold, or concept)

A: FANTASTIC! In order to make something good (and be profitable) you better learn how this sort of thing is done and do it right. We will save you a wasteful and annoying "learning curve"!!

Q: Will a good mold sell?

A: Baby, if you make me a mold of the ALS girl 'JANA' - I'll mortgage my house! 8O :)

=========================================
START YOUR ENGINES! Lets get this thing on the road!
=========================================

Wonko_the_sane

Post by Wonko_the_sane »

Hi!

This is a great idea! I was always wondering why nobody did this before :-) This will probably a VERY big book...
I'd like to be a "part", but I have sometimes problems with vokabulary it it comes to very special things. I would be happy to contribute my experiences.

Greetings,
Wonko :rainbow1:
"There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind."

Ra
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ra »

That would be great for new builders like my self. Thanks for thinking of us, Ra :D :D :D

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Whow!

Thats quite a big project Franklin!
The idea is nice but will take lots of time.
Good luck!

mytime
One dream, one mission...

oxo9047
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by oxo9047 »

Franklin,

A very good idea, I would like to volenteer my help, ever how humble, to the developement of this forum. My ultimate goal is to manufacture a true gynoid for more than the puposes of sex (but sex not being excluded).

Yuo have mt support in this action you intend to persue.

oxo9047

JackT

Fantastic Ideas

Post by JackT »

The FAQ is a great idea. For the amount of work that likely will go into it, perhaps publishing by O'Reilly akin to the Linux Network Administrator's Guide?, i.e. free on the web, but sold in your local Borders/B&N...

I'm wondering what section I might find it in?

Perhaps Transportation?

I'll be looking forward to it with my Latte!

And, of course, the Jana-mold idea is also top notch.

Kudos!

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by deusbot »

A greate idea.

One way to bulk up quickly is to use the forum itself, and use the FAQ as a sort of index. A lot of topics already exist in various threads. Once you get the list of topics, you can probably scan the existing threads and use them as reference URL's at the end of the section. Then you can flesh out the actual text of the FAQ and the URL's become "additional reading". That way no matter what the state of the FAQ is, it is useful, and points to the wealth of info already on the board. If someone is really motivated during the early stage they can find stuff they might not otherwise. As time passes the average FAQ reader doesn't need to be as motivated about following links because the key ideas are spelled out in the FAQ.

Plus, the reader can go from the FAQ to the thread and add their comment or ask their question, keeping relevant threads alive. In this way it becomes like a Wikipedia of doll making.
Artificial Intelligence is the study of how to make real computers act like the ones in the movies -Anon

The questions you ask determine the discoveries you will make - db

INFORMATIONS