Starpery.com

3-D printed Eyes – Unboxing and Full Review A+

Got an idea? Need an invention?
BillySixGun

3-D printed Eyes – Unboxing and Full Review A+

Post by BillySixGun »

GIVING CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE
I feel this product should be showcased and acknowledged as separate review so it doesn’t get lost in the original development thread.

It all started with an eyelash!

The Reason
Gemma is a JM130 and came with some nice blue eyes with red veins. Her eyelashes are probably just like many other girls, fragile and don’t seem to be attached very well. Shortly after arrival she was combing her long blonde hair and a few strands got caught on her lash. With one long swoop of the brush she pulled it right off! She ran in to my office in a tizzy with the lash in her hand and started crying. I told her I would fix it just let me consult TDF for the best solution.

I was able to reattach her eyelash but it just didn’t look right. It seemed more fragile than before. A few days went by and it seemed to be working out…phewww disaster averted!! Then one day, we were sitting on the patio swing laughing, eating, taking pics and enjoying the warm sun, a perfect day. Who would have thought that a single click of the shutter would derail such a wonderful day? As fast as the shutter went off, Gemma broke down. I could see her eyes start to glisten with tears, she crossed her arms, rolled her eyes up and said, “every time I see my picture my eyes are drawn to my hideous lashes and not my pretty face and blue eyes”. Her lips started to quiver as she squeaked out “I’m so ugly”, started crying and buried her head in my chest. I calmed her down, got her a glass of White Zinfandel (her favorite) and told her, “trust me, you’re not ugly and I’ll fix this, I promise”. It broke my heart to see Gemma this way. I had to fix this or my precious Gem would be tarnished for years.

The Hunt
As I was looking around TDF for eyelash info I got a hit for 3-D printed eyes and some info about eyelash bases. As I was reading on the bases MF had a great idea and I thought they would be perfect for Gemma. So I backed up to read about the amazing 3-D eyes and being able to change iris colors without removing her eye. Plus, I wanted some nicer iris color options. I contacted MF to see about ordering some new eyes and these cool looking eyelash bases only to find out his eyes were being made for the WM dolls only at the present time. However, he was working on another project for smaller eyes and could make just about any size eye. Since he didn’t have an actual JM 130 head he needed some measurements of the JM eyeball, eye socket, etc. so I went work.

The JM eyes are double sided so you get 2 colors and different iris sizes in one set of eyes, nice feature JM. MF had never created a double sided eye but didn’t even hesitate to take on the project. Within a few days he sent me a draft of what he had in the works and said it worked out really nice. Then, I got pics of the iris colors and a special Anime style iris that he created at my request.

The Results - I have two words...FIRST CLASS!
It was 3 weeks start to finish and I got a package in the mail. First, I was impressed with the packaging, then I opened it. WOW!! This is top notch quality craftsmanship. The new eyes, irises, iris holder and eyelash bases looked outstanding. I couldn’t wait to show Gemma!

So here’s what I got in the mail:

1. As I said above Packaging was SUPERB and everything was neatly wrapped and snug as a bug in the little box.
IMG_5704.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
IMG_5705.JPG
IMG_5705.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
IMG_5707.JPG
IMG_5707.JPG (2.74 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
IMG_5708.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
IMG_5710.JPG
IMG_5710.JPG (2.51 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
IMG_5711.JPG
IMG_5711.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
2. The double sided eyeball 12mm and 14mm is OUTSTANDING! The white is bright and looks great in contrast with the blue iris and Gemma’s natural skin but not to white to look fake. The eyes are perfectly smooth and move easily with some cotton in the socket and little cornstarch. You can barely see the concave connector line unless you do extreme left or right. Not an issue at all.

Note from MF “DO NOT use oil or any kind of liquid lube on the eyes. Petroleum based oils or lube may damage the ABS plastic eyes. Also, the printed iris is not water proof, so don't get the lenses wet.”

3. The regular iris is AMAZING! The color is bright and changes in every light condition. IMO better than OEM eyes by a long shot.

4. The anime star is so COOL! I love it. It’s really neat to see how the light reacts to the star and gives a totally different look than the regular iris. This was an experiment on my part as I’m not 100% into Anime but I do love the cute cartoonish styles I’ve seen and thought this would be fun. MF came up with the Star and Gemma loves it. Of course, now she wants a new outfit and wig to match her star iris…Yes of course, one thing at a time sweetie.

5. The cases for the iris are INCREDIBLE! One set of 12mm and one for 14mm. Each case holds 2 colors and keep the iris protected and organized.
IMG_5709.JPG
IMG_5709.JPG (2.75 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
6. The eyelash holders are a GOD SEND! Gemma was so excited I think she pee'd a little :oops:
Now, she can have multiple sets of eyelashes already glued to the holder and change them out in a split second depending what she has on her mind.
Eyelash holder - I glued these on with standard eyelash glue and they're not moving!
Eyelash holder - I glued these on with standard eyelash glue and they're not moving!
IMG_5715.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
IMG_5716.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3923 times
7. Changing the iris is a SNAP. Home Depot super magnets 1/2" neodymium disc. They come in a six pack for $4 so I just used them in the stack and it pulls the iris right off, no issue. Using just 1 was a little weak. Besides, the stack of 6 makes it a little easier to hold. No more removing the whole eyeball unless you want to switch to 12mm or vice versa.

In Conclusion
If your girl is suffering from dull eyes and eyelash distress associated with normal everyday life…ask MannequinFan if 3-D printed eyes and eyelash bases are right for you and your girl.
Possible side effects: adorable, alluring, angelic, appealing, beauteous, bewitching, captivating, charming, classy, comely, cute, dazzling, delicate, delightful, divine, elegant, enticing, exquisite, fascinating, fetching, fine, foxy, good-looking, gorgeous, graceful, grand, hot, inviting, lovely, magnetic, magnificent, marvelous, mesmeric, pleasing, pretty, pulchritudinous, radiant, ravishing, refined, resplendent, sexy, stunning, sublime, superb, symmetrical, taking, tantalizing, teasing, tempting, wonderful.

3-D printed eyes with quick change lenses – Original Thread
http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57400

Thanks again to MannequinFan for the excellent work and communication during the entire process. If you're on the fence about getting these eyes for your JM Doll, WM Doll or any other doll that MF can accommodate, I hope this will push you off.

Hi!! I'm Gemma I love my new eyes and lashes MF made for me and Billy.
14mm New Blue 3.JPG
14mm New Blue 3.JPG (988.37 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
Thanks for reading!

BillySixGun

Re: 3-D printed Eyes – Unboxing and Full Review A+

Post by BillySixGun »

More pics of the new colors...
14mm New Blue 1.JPG
14mm New Blue 1.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3922 times
14mm New Blue 2.JPG
14mm New Blue 2.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3922 times
14mm New Blue 4.JPG
14mm New Blue 4.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3922 times
14mm Star 1.JPG
14mm Star 1.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3922 times
14mm Star 2.JPG
14mm Star 2.JPG (944.74 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
12mm Brown.JPG
12mm Brown.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3922 times
12mm Brown 2.JPG
12mm Brown 2.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3922 times
12mm New Blue.JPG
12mm New Blue.JPG (999.48 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey Billy, thanks so much for the awesome review thread!
I really appreciate all the time you took to put this together. You really didn't have to do all that man.

I'm really tickled that this went so well on the first shot. I fully expected a re-do or two in the process.
Now that Gemma has made her opening debut I hope to see more of her here in the future.

Thanks again!
MF

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

These are beautiful. Congratulations on your great from M.F.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

mi6c
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by mi6c »

There's a reason MannequinFan has been my Hero over the years on TDF. :D
That said I must say this is one of the nicest and well done reviews I have seen, so thanks a lot for making the effort and the title could hardly be more appropriate.

Kind regards.
優月( Yuzuki) - Orient Industry Koyuki head / Silicone Art Super Styling(SS) body
艶( Tsuya) - Orient Industry Izumi head on Jewel Real Taste 146(L) body
Tinúviel - EXDOLL Samantha head on Orient Industry Jewel Candy Girl( Jewel 2) body
Yuzuki, Tsuya & friends

BillySixGun

Post by BillySixGun »

MannequinFan wrote:Hey Billy, thanks so much for the awesome review thread!
I really appreciate all the time you took to put this together. You really didn't have to do all that man.
Hey MF!

You're welcome and the time it took was the least I could do. Image

Incredible eyes man we love em! They move effortlessly with a light touch so now I change her eye position with just about every picture, so smooth. Gemma is really happy about that. She got tired of being poked in the eye 10x for just 1 picture. Image

I'll be back for more colors and another full set of eyes as I just ordered another JM Doll. Image

Thanks again

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

BillySixGun wrote:'ll be back for more colors and another full set of eyes as I just ordered another JM Doll.
YAY! So Gemma will be getting a new sister! :D
Which one did you get?

BillySixGun

Post by BillySixGun »

MannequinFan wrote:YAY! So Gemma will be getting a new sister! :D
She's so excited!

I got the JM110 with Rose head Image

JM specs say their eyes fit the 80 to 130. Is that possible?

I'll break out the caliper when she arrives and do some measuring to make sure.

starion
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by starion »

Amazing. You better start expecting massive amounts of emails on these eyes MF. And the eyelash holders are an amazing development. This will make changing eyes a breeze, and won't damage the lashes in the process.
<------------- Callie Starr formerly Sundown Starshine ----my first RealDoll-----

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Booty Call Dolls »

Simply amazing.
Jeff and Nyoko
http://dolldesire.com/
. One vendor name kept coming up as being great at helping customers walk through the process, Booty Call Dolls. So I decided I would work with them on this first purchase, and did.
-princeoverit
You could not of found a better person to help you with your first doll. Jeff /Booty call dolls, knows his stuff... One of the few members that is a vendor and a real lover of dolls. He owns quite a few dolls, and really understands the love we all share.
-Just in time

1 doll bill
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 1 doll bill »

OMG This is brilliant, when I am sober I am going to follow up on this, Should put 'Eyelashes' in the header or title, has been a problem since I met Julie, and her accomplice Jubileigh! We are looking forward to this development.
Evidence for the trial
My last crush was my last crush.
No it wasn't!
1db

1 doll bill
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 1 doll bill »

Also, Bottom lip bite, Egad!!! could not think of another adjective.
Evidence for the trial
My last crush was my last crush.
No it wasn't!
1db

BillySixGun

Post by BillySixGun »

1 doll bill wrote:Also, Bottom lip bite, Egad!!! could not think of another adjective.
Thanks 1 doll bill!!

Yes, I should have added eyelashes but to me its the eyes that need to be shown and the eyelashes bases come with them. That's why I added "it all started with and eyelash" All I can say is MF has created such an awesome set of eyes and lash bases that NO DOLL should be without! I dont work for him nor do I receive any free murchandise. Im just old school and appreciate quality work!!!!

That's her trademark pose and gets me everytime ImageWith those eyes and that lip bite I melt every time! What do you want? Anything your heart desires my princess! Image

:glou:

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

This of course is incredible. M.F rides again.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

ashleystunner

Post by ashleystunner »

Wow those eyes look great! I have a question about the lash base. They look like they contour the eye very well. Can they be used to give my girl a closed eye look? I am always looking for things that can make her one of a kind.

INFORMATIONS