Starpery.com

TPE insert mods with solvents...?

Got an idea? Need an invention?
eeniemeenie

TPE insert mods with solvents...?

Post by eeniemeenie »

After reading the thread about what oil and chemicals to use (and not use) on TPE, I was wondering if some of the "don't use" solvents can actually be used to intentionally modify inserts. Maybe these chemicals can be used for texture or softening. Does anyone know if it's possible to soak an insert in mineral oil or a solvent to make it softer? Or to turn it inside out and paint solvents onto the inside to make custom patterns? After using solvents, can they be washed out and then replaced with mineral oil?

This is the thread I'm talking about:

viewtopic.php?f=227&t=77364&p=1030226&h ... t#p1030226

eenie
eenie
Visit Terri at the Doll Album
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/thumbnails.php?album=4975

Pron
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: TPE insert mods with solvents...?

Post by Pron »

I ordered some TPE inserts for testing and made experiments with pure Xylol / Xylele as solvent.
I don't have pictures or a manual yet because I started just a few weeks ago.

My goal is to make a hybrid doll which combines the benefits from an inbuilt and a doll with replaceable insert, so to say a replaceable inbuilt doll.
For example the texture can start on the outside and the insert can protect the doll from damage (like some manufacturers do).

I will add this in my doll's topic later http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80817
You can use solvents to smoothen the texture, too. It takes a week or longer depending what you did with the solvents until the solvents are gone from the material.

The material I casted in 3D printed casting molds was almost stretchable to ten times length until it got a tear and until now the casted insert works fine without tearing. :thumbs_up:
I should add I don't recommend doing these experiments on dolls and I don´t do this in my house. The little money the inserts cost is worth some testing for me to improve the doll.

It's even possible to do this with only one insert. The last picture shows a casting mold which is divisible and compensates the shrinkage of the TPE paste:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (109.96 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

GTGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by GTGuy »

Barbydoll, now that's pretty impressive work, nice engineering. Do you have any pictures of the actual hybrid piece? Also, is that modelled in CATIA V5?

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

Xylol
Is that what is in those little bottles of doll repair solvent?
My home-made OOAK plush doll gallery
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13765

GTGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by GTGuy »

Barbydoll wrote:How did you conceive the idea of CATIA? :D
Hehe, well I have quite extensive experience myself, and I'd be pretty surprised if you said it wasn't :D

Cool, will follow in your doll topic 8)

INFORMATIONS