https://www.climax-doll.com/collections/silicone-mini-sex-doll

Barbie growing up

Devoted to erotic dolls under three feet high, mostly collectibles (e.g. Ball Joint Dolls)

Moderator: LoneRanger

DDdioxine
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Barbie growing up

Post by DDdioxine »

After receiving my MS Barbie for more than a month, I finally made up my mind to made some facial modification today.
This was how she looked before:
And now the first steps:

Free time is hard to get hold of, so it might take a while for me to sand down the putty. But this also can give me time to think about how I can spray paint the face afterward without contaminating the hair. Any suggestions?

DD.

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Re: Barbie growing up

Post by stacy718 »

cover the hair with a plastic shower cap and then use painters tape to hold it down, by wrapping the painters tape around the caps edge repeatedly.

r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by r363b »

stacy718 wrote:cover the hair with a plastic shower cap and then use painters tape to hold it down, by wrapping the painters tape around the caps edge repeatedly.
like stacy718 said... also buy FrogTape http://frogtape.com/

FrogTape is the best ...and does not allow any paint to migrate under the tape edge like the standard painter's tapes. I have used this and it is the best! http://frogtape.com/how-frogtape-works

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hi DDdioxine,
A while back before I launched into my 3d printed Abby project, I was playing around with mods to the MSB.
I think it may be easier to use acrylic paint with a small artist brush to paint right up to the hairline and do the detailed areas, then use a small foam pad to apply paint to the larger areas like the cheeks. As others have mentioned, you'd want to hold the hair back with a cap or tape to keep it out of the way.
As you can see, if you don't match the original doll color fairly closely, you will see the color change at the hairline which won't look natural...
facepaint1.JPG
facepaint1.JPG (767.26 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
What I've been using for painting on my projects are Quickie scrubber sponges with a fine cell foam that I get at the grocery store - they are cheap and I can cut them into any size or shape needed.
I also add Floetrol to the paint 1:4 which extends drying and helps eliminate any brush or sponge marks.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-Floetr ... /100198078
If you have a Home Depot nearby, you can get 8oz sample jars of paint custom mixed to match for about $3.
If you have a piece the size of a quarter or bigger, you can take it to the paint counter and they will scan it and match the color very closely.
This is good paint with a built in primer so it adheres well and it's fairly durable, and being acrylic it stays somewhat flexible.
The flat finish is also good for applying powder makeup for cheek blushing, etc.

DDdioxine
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by DDdioxine »

Thanks for the comments/suggestions so far. Seems to me shower cap + frog tape is the way to go protection-wise.

MannequinFan: thanks for the painting tips. I intend to repaint the whole doll with a paler skin colour, so colour difference between old and new colour would be problematic at the hairline. I might try using a fine brush to paint between the hair roots and then use acrylic thinner to thin out the paint into the face area. Then spray paint the rest of the face and blend back up to the hair root area.

DD.

INFORMATIONS