It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:35 pm

By visiting this website and viewing the pages within, you accept and agree to be bound by and comply with the Rules Of Conduct and Terms Of Use of this website.

Official TDF Rules & TOS

Please click on either selection to view: Rules Of Conduct | Terms Of Use

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  
Search for:
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: WM Fingers/Hand Surgery
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 pm 

I am really liking where you're going with this. The idea of having everything pre-attached is interesting. I plan to replace the finger wires completely, which I have seen done in a WM Doll video, and that might take some doing too. Trying to think about using something other than twisted copper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 pm 
Active Poster
Active Poster

CinnamonLover wrote:
I am really liking where you're going with this. The idea of having everything pre-attached is interesting. I plan to replace the finger wires completely, which I have seen done in a WM Doll video, and that might take some doing too. Trying to think about using something other than twisted copper.

Is the TPE firmly fixed to the wires, or could the wires be pulled through the TPE to remove them and perhaps pull along a replacement without having to open up the entire finger? Or would it be necessary to make a longitudinal slice in the finger to expose the entire wire to remove/replace it?
As for attaching everything ahead of time, I think it could really simplify things... but it might require a really large "incision" into the hand/TPE to do that. Still, once the new wrist/palm was in place with the receiving ends to match the finger wires, all that would be needed might be to crimp on some wire connectors to join the finger remnants to the new hand and then seal it all up. I've seen these flexible "rulers" used for architectural drawing and drafting to make infinitely variable curves... they can be bent over and over into new curves. I wonder if a smaller version might be available that could replace the copper wire and last longer as "bones" for the fingers?

Lives with Shelby WM 158-A
Album: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=14865
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 am 

briwri01 wrote:

Is the TPE firmly fixed to the wires, or could the wires be pulled through the TPE to remove them and perhaps pull along a replacement without having to open up the entire finger? Or would it be necessary to make a longitudinal slice in the finger to expose the entire wire to remove/replace it?
As for attaching everything ahead of time, I think it could really simplify things... but it might require a really large "incision" into the hand/TPE to do that. Still, once the new wrist/palm was in place with the receiving ends to match the finger wires, all that would be needed might be to crimp on some wire connectors to join the finger remnants to the new hand and then seal it all up. I've seen these flexible "rulers" used for architectural drawing and drafting to make infinitely variable curves... they can be bent over and over into new curves. I wonder if a smaller version might be available that could replace the copper wire and last longer as "bones" for the fingers?

I have a video of someone at WM actually removing the entire copper finger wire. It takes a little working, but yes, you can pull them right out and the finger returns (with a little poking) to its normal shape (just "boneless"). Presumably, though the video did not show this part, they then insert a new copper wire. Or they at least implied that is the next step.

There was a thread that showed an idea like that ruler - do you have a pic? I wonder if they can be purchased online. Several members have come up with very clever designs, though there are always questions about whether or not they would work in the field.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 pm 
Active Poster
Active Poster

Hmmm... if you rounded a bare copper replacement wire on the ends, and lubed it with vaseline, I bet it would go back in fairly easy, since I would guess you are going to be sort of gouging out a channel pulling that wrapped wire out!
Don't have a photo handy of that type of ruler, but Office Max and Office Depot always used to have them. Trouble is, they are too big to fit in fingers. You would have to find some of the same material only much smaller in cross section.

Lives with Shelby WM 158-A
Album: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=14865

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm 

Not understanding how sub-boards work and why I might post in one place or another, I posted my finger repair attempt in the other thread and will reference it here. Both threads are basically about the same thing.

http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=229&t=85084&p=1170143#p1170143

Mods - would you mind telling me which place I should be posting or if it matters?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:35 am 
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

[quote="CinnamonLover"]Not understanding how sub-boards work and why I might post in one place or another, I posted my finger repair attempt in the other thread and will reference it here. Both threads are basically about the same thing. quote]

Same here I do not quite understand this either! And Hi CinnamonLover, had a great time at the meet and it was indeed an honor to meet you and everyone! Say HI to Nutmeg for me and tell Cinnamon that April, and the girls and I all look forward to meeting her next year!

Making the world a doll friendlier place!
April's Gallery's: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=14640

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09 pm 
Doll
Doll

Location: CinnamonLover's Oasis, motorcycle bag, pickup truck, and many other places.
CrazyCajun wrote:
Same here I do not quite understand this either! And Hi CinnamonLover, had a great time at the meet and it was indeed an honor to meet you and everyone! Say HI to Nutmeg for me and tell Cinnamon that April, and the girls and I all look forward to meeting her next year!

Oh my GOSH Cajun aren't you the sweetest thing! We had a blast! Cinnamon would reply on her own but she's in surgery again today, getting the fingers on her right hand fixed just like her left, and CinnamonLover is doing the surgery and taking the pictures, so I'm hop-skip-jump style typing this in for everyone.

Cinnamon is waving with her good hand (holding her other hand very still for the procedure) and says she can't wait to see what these meets are all about, having seen our pictures and heard how much fun we had.

I really enjoyed meeting April and the girls too!

CinnamonLover has created an Album for me! Yay for Sprite Adventures! Go check it out now! No seriously. It's really wor... ooo. that's also shiny...

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2