Starpery.com

Two part silicone repair pictures

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
pygmalion2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Two part silicone repair pictures

Post by pygmalion2 »

I am posting this repair thread since this is a key technique for keeping your doll in good condition.

The two part silicone is slightly harder than the doll silicone but it is still in the 00 hardness scale.
The adhesive is much harder in the shore A30 which means that you will have a scar that you can feel.
The dolls are about 0020 to 0025 in hardness.

Notes about using the two part
You need to measure quantities accurately; find a small syringe with a scale. These are available
at SFK stores, Co-op stores in Ontario, from any medical office and probably online.
Over catalyze. The two part silicone is 10:1 base to catalyst but I find for small quantities the
polymerization can be fickle. Changing the ratio to 10:1.5 reduces the change that the mix does not polymerize
and also reduces the cure time to about 2 hours from about 3 -4 hours.
1 ml of base to 15 drops catalyst starts to gel in about 10-15 min and has a working time of about 10 min.
Adhesive is a much slower cure- tacky at 1 hour and 24 hours for full cure.
Abyss repair kit - I have had the best success with this silicone kit. I have experimented with 6 to 8 different types of silicone
for repairs but they are more difficult to use and do not yield in my hands as good results.
Wait for the silicone to start to cure. Immediately after mixing the silicone is still runny. It is much more difficult to use
this way. When the silicone thickens to a paste, there is less time to work with it but it handles more like the adhesive.
Wipe away excess silicone with a piece of wet paper towel and if necessary smooth with a wet finger. Less is more
for the silicone repairs. It is much much more difficult to trim away excess silicone than to wipe away excess before curing.
If you don't put enough silicone in the first attempt, you can add more later.

Mark and the Synthetiks

Before

After
<em>I know the good artist</em>

sosickofit

Re: Two part silicone repair pictures

Post by sosickofit »

Wow! Great repair!

So in theory I could add 10 drops of base and 1 drop of catalyst? I'v tried to use drops for the right composition but never got it right.

I usually use the adhesive to bond the silicone and then use the 2 part silicone over the adhesive for aesthetics...Is this right?

I'm out of adhesive and need some quick, have you (or anyone) ever purchased silicone adhesive from the home improvement stores? The abyss stuff smells and looks like clear bathroom caulk.

The help is MUCH appreciated!

SS
"A man drinks like that and he don't eat he is going to die"

-Blazing Saddles

pygmalion2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by pygmalion2 »

Sure, duct tape works well too. :roll: But seriously, not all silicone adhesives work.
KB silicone supreme 1hour is recommended by a major doll company.
<em>I know the good artist</em>

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

Not sure why your being sarcastic. :roll: KB stands for kitchen and bath and it is caulk just like I thought. 8) I would think that with your wealth of silicone knowledge you would be eager to share without remarks but since you did how about you "duct tape" a sign to your doll that says.. I will not use sarcasm unless the person doesn't know what they are talking about....
And im the idiot
And im the idiot
61CoWgxuCRL._SL1500_.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 899 times
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sickofit
"A man drinks like that and he don't eat he is going to die"

-Blazing Saddles

INFORMATIONS