Starpery.com

EYES ONLY

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
4biddenartist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

EYES ONLY

Post by 4biddenartist »

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knows of an affordable way to get glass eyes that are nice? I have a 125cm TPE doll and would like some varieties. I have searched taxidermy shops and unfortunately they dont carry human eyes but if I ever wanted to give her lion eyes i would know where to go :shocked!: and they only cost about $15.
I looked on ebay but they seem to carry the bjd small glass eyes and old prosthetics! Any help would be awesome,
thanks
I think therefore,
I try not to.
-me

sosickofit

Re: EYES ONLY

Post by sosickofit »

What is the diameter of your dolls eyes?
"A man drinks like that and he don't eat he is going to die"

-Blazing Saddles

4biddenartist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by 4biddenartist »

i dont have a ruler on hand but about the size of a small ping pong ball.
I think therefore,
I try not to.
-me

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

Find out the millimeter diameter before you buy random eyes my friend. You can not measure this with a ruler, find out from the mf or other members with the same doll.

SS
"A man drinks like that and he don't eat he is going to die"

-Blazing Saddles

Tomoe
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Tomoe »

The 125cm probably takes 20-22mm eyes. I know my 135cm looks fine with 24mm. You can use semi spheroid acrylic BJD or Reborn doll eyes, which are quite cheap. The supplied eyes from WM are much bigger, but that just means they're like icebergs: you can't see most of them. The actual iris/pupil part is about equivalent to 22mm eyes.
I bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-Pair-2 ... 07310.html for my 135cm, and they fit/look good. Not as high quality as the WM eyes, but pretty good. And 9 pairs of eyes for $13 is kind of a steal compared to $50 a pair from WM.
My dolls:
Emilia DS 145 Elf
Angelica 165 cm anime fabric doll with silicone head

Previously owned dolls:
Katherine WM 135 cm
Miyuki 160 cm Anime fabric

4biddenartist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by 4biddenartist »

Thanks, yes i will look for some 24 mm glass eyes on ebay and see what i get. I will post results in this thread. Thanks.
I think therefore,
I try not to.
-me

4biddenartist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by 4biddenartist »

i received my 24 mm glass doll eyes today and i hate to say it but you guys were wrong! They are too small, that was a waste of $7.00... so i am guessing the correct size would be in the 30mm range. i will post a pick with comparison sometime when i get around to it.
I think therefore,
I try not to.
-me

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

The easiest way to measure a spherical object is with a set of calipers, metric is best in this case. SAE ('English') machinist calipers and a calculator will also work (multiply inch measurement by 25.4 to get millimeters). Lacking that you can also wrap a string around the eyeball, marking where it crosses. Hold the string on a fine ruler to get the distance around and divide by 3.1415 ('Pi').
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

I know this question is a bit old, but I just now saw it so, This is where I get my eyes...

Masterpiece Eyes
http://www.softglasseyes.com/
These are the best I have found and what I usually use. A little pricy, but worth it. The eyes are made from a hard silicone that will conform to the socket somewhat. They are hollow half sphere. At one time RD used these.

Antina's Doll Supply
http://dollsupply.com/presta/index.php? ... er=product
A good low price alternative. Size up to 28mm. I was not as impressed with my last order because the lens had a bump that previous eyes did not have, but still very useable. Hard acrylic, hollow half sphere. I you need a full sphere these are cheep enough to buy two sets and glue them together for reversible eyes.

Measuring for eyes can be tricky if you do not already have eyes to match. They are always a few mm wider than the opening.
My home-made OOAK plush doll gallery
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13765

Schenker411

Post by Schenker411 »

I was wondering if anyone had advice on keeping the eyes from popping out.

I just bought a small torso doll with head. The eyes are hollow half sphere. They pop out at the most inopportune times.

I bought some new ones on Amazon, unfortunately they are the same exact ones that came stock with the doll. But I bought a set of "lions eyes" which are pretty wild looking. They are flat and fit the hollow sphere, so I was thinking I could glue them on and then have reversible which would be pretty wicked.

I measured the eye hole- it is 1 in wide, 1/2 in length. I inch converts to around 25 mm so thats the size I bought.

How do you keep those bad boys from flying out?
It's called "holier than thou". There are people who, in order to feel good about themselves, must find others who don't live up to certain expectations. It's an ancient concept. For some reason, humans take it upon themselves to "compel" others to think as they do and will resort to various tactics to "punish" dissidents. Their world is not one of individuals, but of conformists- Stepford_CT

Staraway
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Staraway »

You may be able to do something with little magnets? Maybe put a metal piece deep in the socket and a magnet on the back of the eye? This is totally an untested suggestion that seems like it could work!
;-P( | )q-;

Dreams are where life goes to die
Life is where dreams go to die

Schenker411

Post by Schenker411 »

Little magnets? Haha pretty clever concept but practically speaking.... finding the correct magnet size would be difficult, I would think. Also the eyehole is pretty shallow to host that setup. Then the magnet would have to be strong enough to keep the eye in during a session.

Pretty tall order if you ask me, Staraway not that I don't appreciate the suggestion. Maybe it could work, I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

I was thinking perhaps I could make small holes in either side of the hollow sphere and then use toothpicks or something similar to hold the eyes in.

This doll has no eyebrows either... kinda funky looking. I bought an eyebrow pencil and took a quick stab at it and the more I tried the worse it looked. I thought it would be easy to erase and start over but nooo. It eventually came off but it was nervous time there for a minute.
It's called "holier than thou". There are people who, in order to feel good about themselves, must find others who don't live up to certain expectations. It's an ancient concept. For some reason, humans take it upon themselves to "compel" others to think as they do and will resort to various tactics to "punish" dissidents. Their world is not one of individuals, but of conformists- Stepford_CT

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

Schenker411 wrote:How do you keep those bad boys from flying out?
If its silicone, Hot glue? Should be able to stick to the eyes/silicone enough to at least keep the eyes from popping out, and should release/peel off without damage if you give the eyes a little tug and then peel off the glue from whatever it stuck to more.
Every day people remind me why I like dolls better.

starion
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by starion »

I thought hot glue wouldn't bond to silicone. Kind of like GOOP brand adhesive doesn't bond to silicone. Silicone slides over it without adhesion in my experience. They make a repair adhesive for tpe that should bond the eyes to the tpe. I would just order that specific adhesive
<------------- Callie Starr formerly Sundown Starshine ----my first RealDoll-----

digitaldavid

Post by digitaldavid »

Guy Louis eyes were the absolute best.. Wish that guy trained more people before he left this Earth..

INFORMATIONS