Starpery.com

Learning more about TPE

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
dollita

Re: Learning more about TPE

Post by dollita »

karpos wrote: We used to classify anything that used a heated tip as an iron while a welder usually involved an area of intense heat caused by a torch or electrical arc.

-karpos
You're right, sorry. Sometime my english sucks, especially in technical terms.
Of course I was referring to a soldering iron.
When I said
Keep in mind that using the welder needs almost a surgeon hand, it's not like soldering iron.
By "welder" I meant soldering iron, and by "like soldering iron" like the soldering of the iron.

My fault, probably I created a bit of confusion :)

PlasticArtist

Post by PlasticArtist »

Dollita, thank you for this find. I just did a test with scrap TPE
I successfully cut some TPE apart and fused it back together with your techniques.
Thank you for this find. All this time we were searching for magic TPE glue when what we should have been looking for was your magic TPE wand!

The piece I tested would have been equal to cutting off a finger and reattaching it!

dollita

Post by dollita »

PlasticArtist wrote: The piece I tested would have been equal to cutting off a finger and reattaching it!
Glad it worked for you :)

I just placed order for TPE sample :thumbs_up: and....a couple extra items :whistle:

Thndrrbolt
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thndrrbolt »

perciousnow wrote:Idea for experimentation The electronics industry we used a heat gun to shrink tubing and it also has temps that will melt lead for for soldering they have different size tips for different applications some as small as 1/8 in. Someone might want to try that on some scrap tpe. http://www.techni-tool.com/462SO204
Using a heat gun on some TPE I obtained from Beautiful Dolls, I found that the material began to soften and deform when the surface temperature reached 140 degrees Farenheit as measured by a calibrated infra red thermometer.

Holding a fine point soldering iron in close proximity to the affected area seems like a better way to localize the heat.
I still have some TPE. I'll do some cut and repair experiments and post the results.
One type of common damage to TPE which I'm not sure how to simulate is the "skin peeling".
Can someone post some close up pictures of what that looks like and state what you need to do to cause it?
T'Bolt

dollita

Post by dollita »

Thndrrbolt wrote: One type of common damage to TPE which I'm not sure how to simulate is the "skin peeling".
Can someone post some close up pictures of what that looks like and state what you need to do to cause it?
T'Bolt
Do you mean something like "abrasion" as in the first page?
Or maybe little tears like those on the crotch of the legs?
I wouldn't know how to simulate those ones, you could try making some parallel close cuts with a cutter and then stretching few times that area...
I'm curious, I'll run some test too once my TPE arrives.
Meanwhile please let us know your results :thumbs_up:

PlasticArtist

Post by PlasticArtist »

The skin peeling I think, could be wrong so no yell at me, but I think I read a while back is caused by using baby oil.

dollita

Post by dollita »

Well, samples arrived just yesterday!
TPE.jpg
TPE.jpg (241.27 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Tests will run soon!
Just a bit slowly, since I'm too busy during the week..

Updates will follow :thumbs_up:

JohnnyDollman1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JohnnyDollman1 »

I ambitiously went out and got a plastic welder soldering iron. I read all of the posts here and decided to be brave and try to fix my dolls' knee. My results are what looks like a scab wound about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. I can tell it takes a lot of practice to effectively repair TPE! I will post pictures of it soon so perhaps someone can tell me what to do (if i can do anything).

I do have repair glue on order from where I purchased the doll so any and all future repairs will involve using that first!

I do want to learn as many aspects on repairing the doll as I can, because I am in this for the long haul! I am becoming quite fond of my beautiful doll since I got her two months ago (Registered 'Wendy Madison'). I also can't wait until funds allow me to get another one! I want to be effective at repair and at the same time try to network with anyone here who can help make repairs on my doll that i am incapable of.

I'm glad to be in the company of all of the purveyors and owners in this INCREDIBLE hobby and i can't wait to post future pics of my amazing doll.....

.............but right now.........my baby's wounded! :(

INFORMATIONS