Starpery.com

eyelashes

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
captain43

eyelashes

Post by captain43 »

I'm sure my doll isn't the only one whose eyelashes are coming off, only on her left eye, actually. Any suggestions on how to reapply them? I'm new to doll ownership, and want to keep her in tip-top shape. She's a head 4, if it makes any difference. I'm just clueless when it comes to this sort of thing. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Ikyoto

eyelashes

Post by Ikyoto »

I replaced the lashes on my doll completely and will do so with the recast. I like a lighter looking lash.

The process is NOT for those with jittery hands and you really need to be ready to do so.

1: remove the old lash. This can be done by gently pulling on them, but make sure you get the whole thing. Working with a swivel mounted magnifying glass is a good idea.

2: clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Be sure to keep a fan going.

3: if the old lash adheasive area has a lot of "burrs" trim them SLIGHTLY. they actually help seat the new lashes.

4: use a toothpick to place the new lash and a VERY fine brush.

5: the adheasive should be a silicone that is thinned out with lighter fluid OR a thin mix of the colored silicone from a repair kit. THIS IS THE MOST ADVISABLE.

6: Push the lash into place and use a second toothpick to place a bit of silicone along the lash base. you are esentially gluing it to the eyelid.

7: BE PATIENT. This is not easy to do for first timers. If you can find someone who does mineratures they can teach you fine brush work.

8: you have to let the silicone set for a few minutes before you can move. Do NOT just pull the toothpick away. Twist it very gently back and forth to loosen it first. and do not pull direcly away. Pull at a slight angle to reduce stickiness to the wood.

9: be ready to push back the eyelash while it's setting. it can take a while before it does not try to pull away.

captain43

eyelashes

Post by captain43 »

Thanks Ikyoto, I will heed your advice and try that when I have the extra time, this is definitely not a rush job, plus I need to repair a small area on the corner of her mouth, then she'll be completely healthy. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Ikyoto

eyelashes

Post by Ikyoto »

The mouth area is easier. just make sure not to over do the silicone. clean the surfaces and put JUST enough to hold the parts together, and set the jaw closed with either positioning or a LIGHTLY tied cloth - a rope puts too much stress on too narrow an area.

MarkY

eyelashes

Post by MarkY »

There is some repair advice about tears on the Synthetiks. If you like the natural make-up free look of Katie let me know and I'll add some notes for you on my website. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

MarkY

eyelashes

Post by MarkY »

Captain43
Oh, I forgot to mention the tip that was given to me by Matt (and from the original instruction manual that comes with your doll). If there is any excess silicone during your repair you can wipe it away with a WET finger. You can also smooth it a little bit with a WET finger. This also seems to transfer a bit of texture to the surface of the skin so that the repair matches the rest of the skin a little better.

fourmaki
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

eyelashes

Post by fourmaki »

Quick tip. In a hurry, tuck the lash under the eye lid. I know it is lame but in a pinch works well.

Mark
[img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

captain43

eyelashes

Post by captain43 »

Gentlemen, I thank you for your tips,I had an accident while taking her out of the bathtub and tore her breast. Talk about devastation, however, I had some repair silicone that was sent with the doll, and used it for all the repairs and it seems to have worked well. Fortunately, the breast tear was underneath and hardly visible. I know it's there because I saw it happen, but otherwise, you can't tell. The eyelash worked pretty good also, following Ikyoto's advice. I work in a glass shop, so we use silicone on many products, I knew about the smoothing with the wet finger trick, so I intend to do a little more touch-ups on her crotch area. I just need to get more of the repair silicone, it's much more tougher than the construction grade we use. Should I get marine-grade? or just get it from Matt. It seems I can find it cheaper than 50 bucks.

Ikyoto

eyelashes

Post by Ikyoto »

I'm sure we're all glad we could help. MarkY (i believe) had a brand of silicone that he recomended. I got two repair kits with my original order and haven't gone through enough of even one to really count.

The price of the pre-mixed is a bit much, but normally you need SO little it's worth it to have the right colors.

captain43

eyelashes

Post by captain43 »

Good point, I'll check that out. Thanks

Thunderheart

eyelashes

Post by Thunderheart »

I have been using Walmarts fashion lashes and the adhesive. The adhesive is not permanent, but I have not done them in 2 months. They seem to last really well. I just glue them back on when they come off. The glue is water soluble when wet so if you have difficulty placing them at first it is no big deal. Wash it off and re-apply. I have a couple of sets, long and short, and I can peel them off without damaging the silicone, whenever I wish to change her appearance.
They come with a tool for application, and come in 2 lengths. The starter kit with one set of lashes, adhesive and application tool was $2.99 US.

Ikyoto

eyelashes

Post by Ikyoto »

Stupid me - I didn't think the adheasive would work! MUCH more workable solution and one that gives a much greater range of creativity!

Another cookie for my Canandian neighbor.

INFORMATIONS