Starpery.com

Modification of older Realdolls

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

Now that I have seen the newer Realdoll with the eye-bolt in the back... I want to modify the older dolls so they can also hang out around the house.

Has anyone else done this? Any special tips or tricks needed?

Jerry

Corben_99
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Corben_99 »

Hey Jerry,
Now that you have that milling machine, and getting all the kinks worked out of the software, why not extend the skeleton all the way up to the top of the skull, like a superbabe?

Make some kind of extension, where it goes from the neck joint up through the skull, up against the oral sex part and straight up through the top of the skull. But make a hinge for it. Where it uses that little mechanism where the neck bolt, bolts onto, so the doll can still turn her head side to side, but also look up, or down a bit.

While the dolls open you could also fill the voids in the back of the neck with foam, or silicone, and reinforce the skull neck tab, with flat metal, attached to that experimental adapter.

Got any ideas on how, Mark makes the Superbabe neck joint? Or the hanging mechanism? An eyebolt hanging out the back of the neck looks kinda cheesy, in my opinion.

But up at the crown, covered by a wig is a better way to go. I think the Superbabe has an eyebolt up there, do they?

It shouldn't take much to make an adapter of this kind. After all, I think the Realdoll head is hollow. You could fill that space up with all sorts of things, from a Palm Pilot, to a homemade circuit board.

Just an idea! [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

I like the Superbabe method of hanging somewhat better myself. The problem is that the Superbabe was designed to handle the stresses imposed.

The early Realdolls had only a fiberglass tab to attach the head to the frame. I would need to open the rear and completely engineer how to work around that.

Instead... I want to simply find a hard spot below the joint and make the connection. She will lean 15 degrees forward... but it will still make storage and changing much more simple.

I just have not seen the inside of the Realdoll back there... and I suspect that it may only be PVC pipe. I don't know what kind of loading she will take.

Jerry

Dr. Detroit
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Dr. Detroit »

Superbabe doesn't have an eyebolt, it is actually a flexible piece of cable/wire. You simply pull it out when you want to hang the doll up, and then push it back in when you want to put the wig on the doll.

It is a very elegant solution in its simplicity.

Dr. D

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

Regarding the back of the neck versus the top of the head, well I guess it depends on what you plan to use it for. Either will work for storage and dressing. I have absolutely no problem using Darcy's neck bolt for that, and I have no doubt the SB method works fine as well.

But if you ever want to display her, the top of the head thing would look simply idiotic, not to mention that you would have to leave off the wig or drive a hole through it.

Not that many of us have the balls to put our dolls on display, or even acknowledge their existence, but I might, now that the new stand is apparently available. I don't have that many visitors anyway, and some of those who do come over know about the doll. I could always put her in the closet on her original hook and remove the stand when my mom comes over. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Corben_99
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Corben_99 »

Madame Curie to the rescue,

How about using an X-Ray machine to x-ray the spinal column, and upper torso, and head areas?

Sometimes they pop up on Ebay. I wonder how much they would charge you to X-ray a couple Realdolls? Like if you call up a local X-ray place.

From some of the repair pics on Slades site, like the ones where he changed the head completely, it shows a mechanism made out of steel.

But if early Realdolls had PVC, then maybe you would have to put the bolt down in the spinal column somewhere.

Don't all Realdolls have steel spines?

Or you could rig up a huge Electro Magnet, like the kind used at Junk Yards to temporarily stick the dolls to it, for easy changing, and then have somebody shut it off, when done.

But I'm sure it would play havoc on all your computer equiptment.

Rig the magnet up against the wall of your garage to the studs. Don't know how much power it would take though. hahahaha!!! [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Franklin

Post by Franklin »

I actually like the X-Ray idea ... however explaining to your local doctor (or chiropractor) that you would like to use his/her machine could present some interesting problems.

I'm chuckling thinking of what sort of look would pass over my own Chiro's face if I brought in a doll to be x-rayed (or x-rated) - much less his secretary, since she is really one of the uptight / strait laced sort. Seeing her expression would be well worth any personal embarassment. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

INFORMATIONS