Starpery.com

((( a Hot Melt Gel gluing experiment on the HVG.)))

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Nada

((( a Hot Melt Gel gluing experiment on the HVG.)))

Post by Nada »

... About Glues, in general...

I like to "sneak up" on an "unknown" gluing-problem...
( And I like to be able to "back out" for future modifications, also.)

(To all NEW "Doll Fixers", we usually have ONLY ONE to Mess-Up or Fix-Up with their F_ck-Up... So, a bit of very careful planning and testing, really, PAYs OFF in the long run.)

I can, easily, guess that her head is a PVC plastic and should accept almost any "Plastic Modeling" glue and a gel-type might work very nicely.

(But, her Head's plastic seems pretty soft for your standard PVC material...
So,,, perhaps a Softening agent MIGHT be floating, around, within this plastic?)

One standard, that I have learned the hard way, is the usage of a CLEANER for those Softeners within silicones or anything with a Softener, that prevents a "JOIN" at your gluing-points.

And for a CLEANER, you can use the accepted "standard" of Acetone to FLUSH AWAY the Softener problem, for awhile. (OBTW, the Softener will RETURN to that point,,, because that's its JOB,,, but hopefully,,, after your glue has dried.) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

((( For me, I hate the smell of Acetone... So,,, I use a 95 percent natural-alcohol to CLEAN the Softeners, out of there,,, Folks!)))

And HECK,,, their factory glue-work might have been simply "defeated" by their Softeners within their gel??? ( Did I say "their" enough times?) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And now, you are simply "Testing" their VERY faulty joining-efforts. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img]

So,,, before going on,,, is there, still, a remaining "rim" of hard glue around the head's mouth-area, where the gel-gluing failed? (We could use this "rim" as a SOLID BASE for some different gluing-ideas?)

... My first and "favorite" glue is a good quality and fairly light smelling silicone variety. (After all, we DO want to REST and RELAX next to our Creations, don't we.) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So,,, use your choice of CLEANER on that gel mouth-piece and try a nice silicone glue.

((( OR,,, use one of those "Marine Repair" glues or one of those ultra-smelly, NEW SUPER silicone-glues... Heck,,, it ain't my Nose,,, Folks.))) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(The flexability of this silicone glue might just give you a very small "shock absorbing" action and also you can, safely, add quite a bit of it around the area to support the mouth-piece and perhaps, GRAB a bit around the Mouth's opening and lip areas.) And you can use a bit of alcohol, on you finger-tips, to help you smooth and spread a silicone glue and form a new lip-section, even...

... My next choice is the MUCH HARDER variety of Glues... (BUT,,, they can leave PERMANENT sharp edges and THAT is not so nice around ANY sort of Mouth or Pussy part.) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My very old choice is that classic gel-type "Plastic Modeling" glue...

Or,,, from the Doll Folks, here, you can try an "Automobile WindShield Sealing" glue...

Just, do your CLEANING and GLUE away,,, very carefully !!! (Because everything a HARD glue touches could become a SHARP edge.) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img]

... Nada...
The last "Gel Repair" option that I got from the Doll Masters, here, was that ONLY Heat and Pressure will FIX a Gel BREAK???

(Also,,, what will probably happen, with softer glues, is that they will soften and FAIL, with the Softeners at their gel "connection".)

And the harder glues will simply LAST a bit longer with the softeners and the "independent and finished" structure of this gel plastic.

So,,, a form-fitting and locking mouth-piece with internal bracing and holding-pieces MIGHT be the only way to really "Design for" or "to fix" this built-in problem. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

INFORMATIONS