Starpery.com

Body 7 hip joint repair

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Max P

Body 7 hip joint repair

Post by Max P »

Hi Folks,

A week ago I had to do a major repair on Tanita’s skeleton (Body 7/ 5months old). The disaster started with a creaky noise that came from her right hip joint a couple of weeks ago.
Later I noticed that I could pull the leg away from the torso, it was only held by the silicone! 8O I can tell you that I was truly shattered! What happened here? :?
Anyone who is interested in the surgery can take a look at her website http://www.tanita.tv – go to the “about me” page – you will find some pics and a small statement there.
Believe me the worst thing about it was the fear of the first deep cut into her beautiful body :( after that everything else was easy going!
But finally she’s fine and I’m able to sleep through again. :D

Max P(ain)
Enjoy[url=http://www.tanita.tv]www.Tanita.tv[/url]

Mike Johnson
Ex-Member

Post by Mike Johnson »

I've heard of this happening on other dolls too.

This and finger problems are the most common durability issues current owners have.

Slade has done this repair many times, I'm glad to see that it is not impossible to do by a doll owner.

:wink:
Bedroom Eyes

http://www.dollalbum.com/gallery/Red-and-Blue/abw

http://www.dollalbum.com/gallery/album200/aaa

full-batman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by full-batman »

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It's a killer when something goes wrong with the doll. We spend all this money and then something goes haywire like that. "shattered" is indeed the correct word!

I think it has something to do with a car mentality. Spend money on new car, and we expect it to last. Spend money on new doll, and you really only get a very delicate piece of art. It's difficult for new doll owners to experience the can-do's and the can't-do's after spending all that money.
Joey ... ever been in a Turkish prison?

red_dragon
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by red_dragon »

I bet that was hard. I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine having to do something like that and hope I never have to. I hope things are going okay with you full-batman. I've been a bit worried about you.
http://www.dollalbum.com/gallery/leslie

I want to be the kind of person my cat thinks I am.

Keithallen
Ex-Member

Post by Keithallen »

Very good job, Max P. Thanks for sharing the step by step procedure.

George66
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by George66 »

Max P wrote: Anyone who is interested in the surgery can take a look at her website http://www.tanita.tv - go to the "about me" page - you will find some pics and a small statement there.
Brilliant illustrations. How difficult was it to cut so deeply into the silicone with that yellow craft knife?
Statement(by Max): The nut came off the bolt because it wasn't locked with glue.
It wasn't done up tightly enough either was it? You shouldn't need locking glue on nuts holding a doll skeleton together.

This isn't very encouraging.
Believe me the worst thing about it was the fear of the first deep cut into her beautiful body.
I can well imagine. How did you know where to cut, and how did you hold the cut closed when you glued it back? I can see some big staples. How do you fix them? Do they leave marks when you take them out?

Love your doll. She looks gorgeous. I'm going for Face 4 too, so that's encouraging.

Mike Kelly wrote:I've heard of this happening on other dolls too. Slade has done this repair many times:
Does this mean that Abyss make a habit of failing to tighten bolts? If so I should check out the skeleton before I let them pour shouldn't I? It will be a lot easier than trying to tighten loose bolts after, won't it?

full-batman wrote: It's a killer when something goes wrong with the doll. We spend all this money and then something goes haywire like that. "shattered" is indeed the correct word!
That's true but then with help from the TDF it seems everything can be put right.
I think it has something to do with a car mentality. Spend money on new car, and we expect it to last.
I've given up "expecting" or even hoping new cars to "last". I've had endless very large bills with my Porsche, and certainly enough to buy a Realdoll. Last month (why is everything happening to me in the Fall of 2003) I very cleverly managed to scrape the nearside along the garage wall. Cost of repair: $1500.
Have box! Did travel! Sexual bliss with EMMA a Realdoll Goddess from ABYSS CREATIONS with Lite Body 2 FaceX 4, Guy's Eyes & Eye-brows, Matt's full-set of teeth, Flexon fingers, Neck-bolt and Back-bolt is the ultimate religious sacrament.

Keithallen
Ex-Member

Post by Keithallen »

Maybe for future repairs like this, one should concider Nylock nuts, they hold themselves in place.
Just a thought.

George66
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by George66 »

keithallen wrote:Maybe for future repairs like this, one should concider Nylock nuts, they hold themselves in place.
Just a thought.
They do, but we shouldn't really need them should we? Max's nut could only have been hand-tight. Someone clearly forgot to tighten it, didn't they?

Or do the nuts have to be left loose to allow the joints to move? If so then they do need to be locked, either by glue or a pinch-nut or a Nylock nut.

I guess from what Max has said they are supposed to be glued. I guess he got that from Matt. Perhaps I should ask for Nylock nuts.

You CAN'T forget to glue them. I'm still wondering if I ought to check my skeleton, or perhaps just ask for a photo of it, to see that Nylock nuts have been fitted. The last thing one wants is to have to go through what Max has gone through.
Have box! Did travel! Sexual bliss with EMMA a Realdoll Goddess from ABYSS CREATIONS with Lite Body 2 FaceX 4, Guy's Eyes & Eye-brows, Matt's full-set of teeth, Flexon fingers, Neck-bolt and Back-bolt is the ultimate religious sacrament.

Max P

Post by Max P »

George –
How difficult was it to cut so deeply into the silicone with that yellow craft knife?
That is the easiest part if you use a brand-new blade.
Quote:
Statement(by Max): The nut came off the bolt because it wasn't locked with glue.
It wasn't done up tightly enough either was it? You shouldn't need locking glue on nuts holding a doll skeleton together.
Wrong! The statement says: A thread bolt, that was not locked with glue securely, came off his location - There is no nut on this bolt, he is screwed directly into the “thigh bone „.The upper end with the thread in is made of aluminium. You need locking glue in this case otherwise the bolt will come off after a couple of leg movements (rotation in stretched out position). The joint is not constructed to do this (unnatural) movement!! Each doll owner should know that to prevent damage.
I mailed Matt two weeks ago and told him what happened – I attached some pics but don’t got a response yet.
How did you know where to cut
Matt gave me the instructions, the cut was made exactly along the seam.
I can see some big staples. How do you fix them? Do they leave marks when you take them out?
The self-made staples left some very small marks but hardly noticeable.

And finally:
I very cleverly managed to scrape the nearside along the garage wall. Cost of repair: $1500.
George, please don’t drink and drive!!(Guiness!) :wink:

Keithallen – Nylock nuts are used on each moveable part of all joints.

Max P
Enjoy[url=http://www.tanita.tv]www.Tanita.tv[/url]

George66
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by George66 »

Max P wrote: There is no nut on this bolt, it is screwed directly into the “thigh bone „.The upper end with the thread in is made of aluminium. You need locking glue in this case otherwise the bolt will come out
Thanks Max. If this is a common problem as Mike has suggested, then my solution is that Matt puts a dab of bright red paint on these joints after the glue has been applied, so that customers can receive photos of the skeletons to reassure them that no mistakes have been made.

Is there room for a pinch-nut to lock the bolt instead of glue?

I've sent Matt an email and will be ringing Debra on Monday, but rather expect to hear that it isn't a common problem, although I might still ask for a photo anyway.

George66
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by George66 »

Mike Kelly wrote:I've heard of this happening on other dolls too.

This and finger problems are the most common durability issues current owners have.

Slade has done this repair many times, I'm glad to see that it is not impossible to do by a doll owner.
But was it because of a fault in the factory where Ron forgot to apply the glue. Ron won't be happy if we don't make this point clear, will he? He's the one who's on the hook for this, isn't he?

Max's charge that it was a factory fault and that Matt seems to have admitted it, is quite serious isn't it?

When I spoke to Debra Thursday she didn't seem to know anything about it, so it looks as if I might have to speak to Ron himself, but I would like to make sure that I've got the story right, first.

INFORMATIONS