Starpery.com

HOW TO REMOVE A HEAVY SMOKE ODOR FROM A DOLL

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

HOW TO REMOVE A HEAVY SMOKE ODOR FROM A DOLL

Post by timetraveler1 »

I bought a doll in the past and after getting it noticed right away that someone smoked heavily around it and the doll smelled like heavy cigarette smoke , i guess also the fact that me and my wife neither smoke it is even more noticeable .
I guess maybe most doll buyers don't think to ask if it comes from a smoke free household , at least i didn't . But it could be important to someone as to not get a doll with smoke smell or even if you may be alergic to smoke products etc.
I am not dissing the person who sold it to me (and i know some people are addicted to ciggeretes )
I was and am glad to get the doll and actually i should have asked if it has been around smoke .
Anyway after receiving the doll i used bleach and soapy water and completly washed it completely , but the smell was still their which surprised me after using bleach on it so i washed it again same way , still had smoke smell , so i used a scented powder all over it , nut it still had the smell , i then used a imitation fabreeze on it but that didn't help either .
(maybe if i had the real fabreeze it might have worked?) so then i put the skin in a box and a half jar of vineager , vineager is suppose to absorb the smell , i let it set overnight , but it still had a strong smoke smell .
So i looked up on the internet what would take away heavy smoke smell from anything and ran across an article where a women had a purse that was leather and how she removed a heavy smoke smell from it .
Anyway part of one step was using half water half vineager and wash the product , i chose to just use pure vineager and washed the front side all down let it dry flipped it over and did the back and kept repeating it , i also did the hair to in vineager , from what i can tell it seems to be working . If not all the way their is other steps i can do to help .
Anyway here is the article i copied . (of course as with anything make sure any of these products won't damage your doll . i have had no trouble on a latex doll .

Removing smoke smells from a leather piece can be a little time consuming, but the efforts will yield results. There are several different methods that can be used to remove the odor. Try one or try them all until your piece is smelling fresh again.

You Will Need:
■Vinegar
■Baking soda
■Rubbing alcohol
■Milk
■Water
■Dried coffee grounds
■Dryer sheets
■Leather conditioner
■Soft cloths

Methods to Remove the Smoke Smell:

1.Mix one part vinegar with one part water. Rub the mixture onto the surface with a soft cloth. Do not saturate the leather. Allow to dry. Repeat until the odor is gone.
2.Mix one part rubbing alcohol with one part water. Use a soft cloth to apply the mixture to the surface of the purse. Allow to dry in between applications. Repeat as necessary.
3.Dryer sheets have been used to successfully absorb odors. Place several sheets inside of the bag and allow it to set for a few days. Or, place a couple of dryer sheets inside of the bag, and fluff in the dryer (no heat) for a few minutes.
4.Fill an old nylon stocking with fresh, dry coffee grounds (straight from the can). Place this inside of the purse and allow it to set until the odor is gone. Coffee grounds absorb odors quickly and effectively.
5.Another option is to fill the bag with dryer sheets and hang it outside in the fresh air for as long as possible.
6.Place an opened box of baking soda into the bag. Remove the top layer of baking soda each day so that fresh, odor-absorbing powder is exposed. Continue until the odor is gone.

Additional Tips and Ideas:
■If the odor in the bag is excessively strong, be prepared to repeat these methods several times. As long as there is improvement, it’s working and should be repeated.

:)

LovesBlackWomen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: HOW TO REMOVE A HEAVY SMOKE ODOR FROM A DOLL

Post by LovesBlackWomen »

Teddy Babes seem like they would absorb smoke odor the best.

dave7311
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by dave7311 »

Smoke outside or nowhere near doll....PERIOD!
Dollies deserve respect & LOve deserved :wink:
Bathe, Powder & Handle w/ care :roll:
My Val is smoke FREE!
:glou:

Playtime
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Playtime »

G'day everyone,...

The only smoke my TBDs are exposed to are from either the incence sticks I burn once or so a week in the house, or if I have the fire going and since I run a clean fire there is very little from that, even from when I first start the fire.

Playtime.
Playing with dolls is a joy!

Kaori's Antics

WARNING:  The Dolls are starting to play back!

LovesBlackWomen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LovesBlackWomen »

So I guess passing gas in the doll's face would reduce her resale value.
Passing gas in a real girl's face would probably be even dumber.

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

This is a good tread! :thumbs_up: It would be great as a sticky! :thumbs_up: Occasionally I have bought an item and later discovered a strong smoke smell coming from it. Some things will air out over time, but one time I bought a wooden cabinet, and once I got it in the house, I realized it had a very string smell of smoke on the inside. I put bowls full of baking soda in it. and after two months time, the smell was still there. In the end I ended up giving it away to a smoker friend. If I had known these other methods I may have had better success. I love the smell of coffee, so I think I will try that one next time. :glou: :morning:

dave7311
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by dave7311 »

get my drift?...(or is that 'draft' ?) :lol:
open this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDO9ohl2Smw :whistle:
Attachments
smoke-image.jpg
smoke-image.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 9653 times

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

One more thing i think i mentioned it though before the above article i posted was about a women that had a leather purse that smelled of heavy smoke , but this should also work with dolls latex anyway , one might have to becareful with cloth dolls as they could mold ?
At any rate i thought i would pass this along so maybe others could use it as a reference . :)

p.s. farting video was funny lol

ctalon

Post by ctalon »

Ozone generators work very good as well. I posted some time ago here about it.

Original post
http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=38217

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

My Lucy lived in China before she came to England and she still has that problem. (Smoking is big in China, I am told.) The smell is gradually wearing off, but I might try the ozone treatment.

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

Dose the Ozone generator also staralize the doll?
ctalon wrote:Ozone generators work very good as well. I posted some time ago here about it.

Original post

ctalon

Post by ctalon »

Everhard wrote:My Lucy lived in China before she came to England and she still has that problem. (Smoking is big in China, I am told.) The smell is gradually wearing off, but I might try the ozone treatment.

I would not even hesitate to try the ozone method. Has cured many problems for me for smoke damage. Dangerous appliance/health hazard for absolute sure, but it is incredibly effective. I would be shocked if it did not work for you. I suppose there are cases of some items so incredibly soaked/bonded with smoke particles that it may be all but impossible to remove the smell, but as far as what I know of to use that will not damage 'most' dolls, and I do not know of any more effective way than this to permanently remove actual smoke particles from an item. If anyone has actual experience with proven methods that surpass ozone and not just hearsay, I'm all ears. Mine has saved my dolls and many other items in my house that I thought would possibly be discarded as the smoke was so heavily grounded into everything, even after heavy cleaning with typical soap/water treatments/chemical cleansers, ozone still was the only thing that 'finally' killed the smoke. For sure worth the try I would say. Best of luck!

ctalon

Post by ctalon »

Joe Bin wrote:Dose the Ozone generator also staralize the doll?
ctalon wrote:Ozone generators work very good as well. I posted some time ago here about it.

Original post

From my understanding, in the right parts per million, over a specified period of time depending on room/area in question, yes it will sterilize it. This is how hospital operating rooms are actually being sterilized as well. Honestly if the smoke damage is that heavy, you will need to expose the doll to 'sterilize' levels of ozone, which a good unit will have a 'max' setting for. Your doll will have to boldly go where your human lungs can not go alone. Again this applies to silicone and cloth/plush only. Any doll item/doll clothing/doll part that is latex will be effectively destroyed, quite possibly to shreds. Be careful!

Here is a company that sells units for hospitals: http://www.optimusise.com/ozone-room-sterilization.php

You would be using a consumer/commercial grade O3 generator obviously far smaller than what that is, but it gives some idea of the nature of it's use.

Not a bad idea for second hand cloth dolls, or silicone dolls, or just user maintenance/cleansing. NOT LATEX!

I can't stress enough though to be careful with these units (ozone generators), you can seriously wreck your health permanently. I would advise doing your own research for effects of ozone on human body/respiratory system. Do your research, use common sense. I should need to say no more than that.

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

Thank you for the info ctalon, :thumbs_up: I am going to look into purchasing an Ozone Generator. :glou: When used properly and safely, it sounds like a good think to have.

yellowsubmarine
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by yellowsubmarine »

Just to let you know, professionals in the perfume industry suggest coffee when smelling perfumes. They say it clears all other scents when testing out one fragrance after another.

Any time I go to find a perfume at the mall, I get a cup of coffee while I'm there.

I seriously think they should make a coffee scented room spray. It would cut out odors and smell great - to me, at least!

INFORMATIONS