Starpery.com

Tears under the arm

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
lovechild

Tears under the arm

Post by lovechild »

Hello everyone ,I was wondering does any one know how to repair under arm tears what would i have to use to fill in the gash ,I have seen slades repair surgery page were one of the dolls had a large deep gash in the hip area and he used some substance to fill it up . I was told a repair kit from Abyss could fix it I just want to make sure before i buy it .

Fargo
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Fargo »

I say BUY IT!

Abyss is the most relyable source to get your repaerment kit, since the silicone they include there is the exact same quality as your doll´s silicone, but, didn´t your Realdoll came with a repairment kit already?

lovechild

Post by lovechild »

Hi Fargo, I did not buy my doll from Abyss. At the time I could not afford a new one ,so I settled for a vintage one. Iam going to order the repair kit. I always thought that the repair kit was for small tears but i guess i was wrong Iam still kind of new to all of this.thanks :oops:

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

There are actually three levels of repairs:

1. small tears can be handled with the adhesive that comes with the doll, although it tends to harden up on you when you don't use it. I have used the adhesive a few times for Darcy (tiny tear in corner of mount, several fingers) and never for Taze.

2. larger tears would need the separate repair kit, which also includes more silicone. Be sure to order the right skin tone! I have the kit, but have never touched it because Darcy's tears have alway been covered by the adhesive and Taze hasn't had any.

3. major tears may require more silicone than is in the kit. You can get more from Abyss with another kit or silicone by the gallon, or so I've heard.

Hope this helps. Those of us with more recent dolls don't have as much experience with this kind of stuff. :oops: :oops:
Jack Worthington Rabbit, Esq.

Fargo
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Fargo »

Hey not a problem lovechild, I do hope that the damage on your doll isn´t THAT bad :? ,..........

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Lovechild,

I think you can repair this tears.
My idea: post some pictures of them, members will give you advice!
Tears can be repaired almost invisible.
I think, that if there is some stuff missing use a filler, if you can put everything together again and there's nothing missing then you can glue it.
More worse is a breast that is damaged.
Then you need to do recasting to make a good looking repair and that's quite a lot of work.
But that is not the case with your doll.
I think if you order a kit at Matt, and maybe its an idea to ask him friendly to enclose a silicone sample.
Then you have a little piece of silicone to experiment with and then you have some experience with the glue and the filler before you start repairing your doll :idea:

Good luck and I hope for you on a "Full Recovery!"

mytime
One dream, one mission...

red_dragon
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by red_dragon »

Couldn't hurt to contact Abyss and Slade.
http://www.dollalbum.com/gallery/leslie

I want to be the kind of person my cat thinks I am.

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

Sample "Dixie" silicone might not be that good for repair experience - I got one with the same thought in mind.

Repair kit w/silicone "2-part" has a shelf life of 6 months. If you don't use it, you've got to throw it out.

Glad to see it mentioned that the 2-part can be bought separately. I ended up with like 3 tubes of adhesive...

Oh - how long before the adhesive dries out?

Also - try TDF Search with key words "arm tears". I know in the Old Doll Forum folks had to conduct these repairs and posted about it.
<div>So long, and thanks for all the fish!<br>- Douglas Adams</div>

lovechild

Post by lovechild »

I have fixed my littel lady up ,it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I have to be more carefull when dressing her I pulled her arms up to far and thats what caused the tear its not like dressing yourself it takes a littel more time ,....thanks alot I would really be lost with out you guys.

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

Did you happen to notice and remember approximately how many degrees high is the maximum the arm can be raised??

That is, assuming 0 degrees is straight down, and 180 degrees is straight up (a big no-no).

Oh, and also I'm wondering if it's safe to put the arms behind the doll. I've not let this happen - only a little more than how far back the mattress would allow. If the arms can go back 45 degrees safely, I'm thinking that might also help w/dressing.

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Lovechild,

Great to hear you have succeeded in fixing her!
Hope it don't happens again!

Inkling:
H'mm... moving ranges...
They should be set on paper and never be forgotten any more...
I think RD has less degrees of freedom as Loly has (Creators doll is made the most strange movement on his pictures).
Shoud be set on paper wat can be done and wat can't be done...
Maybe its an idea to fill the doll handbook with kind of stuff like that!
mytime
One dream, one mission...

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

Great idea, if one can find out the info. I'd have to call Abyss. New sheets (not bed) that come w/doll have better info., but I've got old sheets (on bed) that only say not to lift arms straight up. Course, I've not looked at those sheets (not on bed) in about four months - so maybe I should verify this.

INFORMATIONS