Starpery.com

Hair care help.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
B_B_Bouchard

Hair care help.

Post by B_B_Bouchard »

I have my first girl on the way. I have gotten 3 wigs from different vendors and none of them are great. I thought i could at least wash and style them for photos but upon washing they came out with an odd filmy texture on them. I personally use products with allot of moisturizer and i see that that may not be good for synthetic hair. Allot of the wig care products come with a hefty tag, which i'm willing to pay for her, but i was wondering if anyone can recommend a bland they have used and know works well before i invest that kind of money.
Thank's for your time
B B Bouchard

RGC_0767
Former Member

Re: Hair care help.

Post by RGC_0767 »

B_B_Bouchard wrote:I have my first girl on the way. I have gotten 3 wigs from different vendors and none of them are great. I thought i could at least wash and style them for photos but upon washing they came out with an odd filmy texture on them. I personally use products with allot of moisturizer and i see that that may not be good for synthetic hair. Allot of the wig care products come with a hefty tag, which i'm willing to pay for her, but i was wondering if anyone can recommend a bland they have used and know works well before i invest that kind of money.
I just tried this today. Results were very good.

I've never washed the wig but I used 3 parts water to 1 part fabric softener (snuggle or whatever ya like.) Spray the wig lightly. Separate hair into 2-3 inch sections and comb through starting from the bottom up. Also, you can twist the hair in small 2 inch sections or whatever size you wish for some curl. Let it hang dry. Results were very good. This is a cheap frizzled frayed tangled mess of a wig. made it look much better. Time consuming somwhat. Smell like a laundry mat anyway :) Oh. and get a comb with wide teeth. an actual wig comb. they work good.
wig-refresh.jpg
Notice anything weird in this pic? :) LOL

GDP2000

Post by GDP2000 »

First I would say invest in a decent wig. I have a Revlon synthetic wig for my doll and it feels way better than the cosplay wigs I got for her. The wigs that come with the dolls are junk in comparison to either of those.

Regular shampoo and conditioner won't work on synthetic wigs as they are designed to work on real hair. Real hair has layers and a cuticle as where a synthetic hair strand is solid, almost like a nylon cord.

You can use a search engine for "synthetic wig shampoo" and you'll find tons of options.

If you do decide to go with a real hair wig you will have to deal with it being real hair. Meaning you can style it and color it but you will also have to maintain it as you would your own. Another option for real hair is yak hair, it is similar but can be more cost friendly compared to a human hair wig.
Attachments
Hair Shaft Cross Section
Hair Shaft Cross Section
Hair+Shaft+Three+layers+of+the+hair+in+cross-section+from+inside+out.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Maintenance and repair log for 130cm Anime fabric doll

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=95439

Skeleton and Layer Breakdown

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&t=120019

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

GDP2000 wrote:First I would say invest in a decent wig. I have a Revlon synthetic wig for my doll and it feels way better than the cosplay wigs I got for her. The wigs that come with the dolls are junk in comparison to either of those.

Regular shampoo and conditioner won't work on synthetic wigs as they are designed to work on real hair. Real hair has layers and a cuticle as where a synthetic hair strand is solid, almost like a nylon cord.

You can use a search engine for "synthetic wig shampoo" and you'll find tons of options.

If you do decide to go with a real hair wig you will have to deal with it being real hair. Meaning you can style it and color it but you will also have to maintain it as you would your own. Another option for real hair is yak hair, it is similar but can be more cost friendly compared to a human hair wig.
Wig that came with my dolly is actually better that the one I have pictured. The one pictured sheds just as bad as the cat :) I love long hair on a gal. All about budget for me. If the doll is any indication of the women who have walked in and out of my life, I'm just wasting money going high end :)
Good info you have provided comparing real to synthetic.
I know it's in my mind, but LuAnne (my doll) had a nice twinkle in her eyes when I took the time to get the wig looking better :) Appreciative doll :)

INFORMATIONS