Starpery.com

Paint removal and repaint on a TPE doll

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Studio5280
Active Poster
Active Poster

Paint removal and repaint on a TPE doll

Post by Studio5280 »

Hello All,

My apologies in advance is this topic has been discussed before but I can't really find an answer to my specific question in the archives. It's probably there somewhere but I just can't find it.

I recently purchased a used doll at a great price that I want to use for photos. The doll is fine but the manufacturer added some pretty unrealistic painted highlights with pink paint sprayed on. They put this stuff on the collar bone, navel, nipples and other places on the doll. It just looks silly and fake so I want to remove it and repaint the nipples to a better color. The doll is a TPE JS Doll knock off of a WM doll.

I've read conflicting advice on what to use to remove the paint...Odorless Mineral Spirits came up as a good solution on TPE, but others say that damages the TPE. I don't want to ruin the doll, TPE is a surface I haven't worked with and I don't have a TPE sample to experiment with. What should I use to safely remove the paint?

Then on the flip side, what kind of paint should be used to repaint the nipples? I want something permanent / semi-permanent that won't rub off or damage the TPE.

I'll attach a photo of the areas I'm talking about. It's actually more Pepto-Bismol pink than it shows in the photos.

I would prefer some recommendations of things I can find in local hardware/hobby/paint stores rather than special order stuff from specialty shops.

Thanks for your replies.

JA
Attachments
You can see where the paint is sprayed on. Pretty fake looking,huh?
You can see where the paint is sprayed on. Pretty fake looking,huh?
7a.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 5149 times

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Paint removal and repaint on a TPE doll

Post by samara78 »

Go ahead and massage her with baby oil in those areas. It will take a couple of tries to get it right.wipe away excess oil after each massage, with baby wipes. This will remove the strange looking colors from her body.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

grimreefer24601

Post by grimreefer24601 »

Studio5280 wrote:Then on the flip side, what kind of paint should be used to repaint the nipples? I want something permanent / semi-permanent that won't rub off or damage the TPE.
I can confirm that Mineral Based Baby Oil with remove factory paint.

I was hoping someone who knows better might answer the second part of the question, how to repaint, and what to use.

grimreefer24601

Miss Atleur has some really interesting stuff. For around $20 you can get a sampler. The post came up right after I asked.
http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=272&t=86927
I'll let you know how it works.

Studio5280
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Studio5280 »

Thank you all for the advice. I'll try the baby oil and I ordered some stuff from Miss Alteur. I'll keep you posted with the results.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

You know, if you ignore the minor paint issue, those are some very realistic looking boobies. I like the way they sort of flatten out and go to the sides while lying flat. Very natural looking. Just like the real thing. Get the paint right and they'll be spot on. :thumbs_up:

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

grimreefer24601 wrote:
Studio5280 wrote:Then on the flip side, what kind of paint should be used to repaint the nipples? I want something permanent / semi-permanent that won't rub off or damage the TPE.
I can confirm that Mineral Based Baby Oil with remove factory paint.

I was hoping someone who knows better might answer the second part of the question, how to repaint, and what to use.
I use silicone mixed with mineral spirits to repaint on a more permanant level. If you want a temporary solution look to miss atleur paints for tpe.

Powder makeup is a good temp solution as well. Let me know if you need more help.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

grimreefer24601

samara78 wrote:I use silicone mixed with mineral spirits to repaint on a more permanant level. If you want a temporary solution look to miss atleur paints for tpe.

Powder makeup is a good temp solution as well. Let me know if you need more help.
Silicone, mineral spirits, and what coloring? I may wan't that on some parts. Will the silicone paint still fade with mineral oil treatment?

I understand Missatleur paints can be peeled off, which I kind of like, is there any reasoning against this? Does it damage the TPE?

Is there any issue with using silicone on a TPE doll?

Can you link any info on your Silicone Mineral Spirits repaint? I'd be interested to read more about it. Of course, now that I know it exists I'll be looking for it. You could help save me some time if there's a link available you can point me to.

Procrasturbate
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Procrasturbate »

most doll companies under 4k (DH/OR/YL/WM) use pastels to stain their TPE.
stay away from paint.

you need to find pastels in a skin tone pallet that can be consumed. There's a big difference between non-toxic and consumable.

grimreefer24601

Procrasturbate wrote:most doll companies under 4k (DH/OR/YL/WM) use pastels to stain their TPE.
stay away from paint.

you need to find pastels in a skin tone pallet that can be consumed. There's a big difference between non-toxic and consumable.
You mean Pastel Sticks? For permanent color like samara is taking about or something else? Any info on the technique?

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

grimreefer24601 wrote:
samara78 wrote:I use silicone mixed with mineral spirits to repaint on a more permanant level. If you want a temporary solution look to miss atleur paints for tpe.

Silicone, mineral spirits, and what coloring? I may wan't that on some parts. Will the silicone paint still fade with mineral oil treatment?
I avoided the areas that are colorwd with mineral oil. I mix with powder first or apply powder color before then use the mineral spirits with rtv 4500 food grade silicone.
I understand Missatleur paints can be peeled off, which I kind of like, is there any reasoning against this? Does it damage the TPE?
it is harmless to the tpe.
Is there any issue with using silicone on a TPE doll?
unless it is2 part like doll makers use then no, no issues

Can you link any info on your Silicone Mineral Spirits repaint? I'd be interested to read more about it.i have a thread in the repair and maintanance section painting on silicone tutorial it works on silicone and tpe and is almost permanant. I paint tpe heads with this all the time. Of course, now that I know it exists I'll be looking for it. You could help save me some time if there's a link available you can point me to.

grimreefer24601

So you're going to make me look for it samara?

Doesn't matter, I think I found it.

Painting on silicone tutorial

Just so other here don't have to search for it.

Thanks samara.

Procrasturbate
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Procrasturbate »

there is no permanent paint or pastel. even on 6k$ dolls everything fades eventually.

paint is horrible. it sits on top of the skin like a sticker. doesnt look real, and if youre thinking about using you mouth, dont.

pastels (sticks) are what factories use as i stated before. Just reapply ever few months as it fades. Everytime you oil your doll, the vag/nipples/mouth color will get wiped off anyway, so learn how to draw with pastels.

adollforme

Post by adollforme »

Coloring on one of my WM TPE Dolls naturally faded. So I tried the pastel sharpies. The paint doesn't absorb right away so I used some tissue paper (Kleenex) to dap the excess color off which gave a natural high low texture to her areolas and nipples. I wish I had captured it step by step. In am sure another opportunities will come up again. Bottom Line: Very happy with the results. Been a month and a half with 2 washes and various outfit changes so far no need for touchup

Attachments
20190429_212951_20190429222107913.jpg
20190429_212951_20190429222107913.jpg (281.78 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
51OuYhCNfZL._AC_SY400_.jpg
51OuYhCNfZL._AC_SY400_.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
download.jpeg.jpg
download.jpeg.jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
___

So many dolls so little time...

INFORMATIONS