Starpery.com

Oder welding TPE with soldering iron???

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
bootylover24
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Oder welding TPE with soldering iron???

Post by bootylover24 »

I used a soldering iron to weld some TPE today. Does anyone know if the oder that was left behind will go way. I understand that the fumes are toxic...will this be a problem?

CinnamonLover
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Oder welding TPE with soldering iron???

Post by CinnamonLover »

First: I absolutely freaking LOVE your avatar picture of the Twi'lek. I need a Twi'lek doll in the future. Still trying to work that one out. I was hoping to get Lekku headpiece but getting it done in TPE is proving to be extremely difficult. May have to buy my own 3D printer and see if I can work it out myself. Long project.

That aside, though remotely related, I am reasonably sure that if you leave the finished work in a well ventilated or at least roomy area the scent will go away over time. It may be best to do a water-and-soap bath, let it dry completely, do a mineral oil bath, let it dry completely, and powder the TPE.

However yeah - the fumes are toxic and soldering (though I am very tempted to do it myself) can be dangerous. There are chemical-based glue solutions that work really well without causing all the heat and significantly reduce the vapors.
CinnamonLover. Because I love cinnamon. And Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, and Cloves! Here is our Eye Candy Thread: CinnamonLover's Spice Girls

bootylover24
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by bootylover24 »

I'm wondering if the material would now be toxic, if it caused some sort of change in chemistry from heating it.

Regarding your Twi'lek doll...You only need to have doll cast in blue. You can ask manufacturer to do that for you. Then you buy the tentacles from etsy. They are a wig, and head cover. You can have those any color you want. You could ask the makers to do the latex in the color you wan't, or paint them. I think I'm going for tentacles that match the current skin tone of my doll.

Fantastic Plastic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Fantastic Plastic »

Yes the TPE when overheated (easy to do) can have a scorched smell, it will however fade with time and eventually disappear.

abracadabra
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by abracadabra »

Fumes and odor don't exist if you have proper ventilation before you start the fumes and odor possibilities . In the event that you do create odor and fumes a quick splash of some baby oil in that region will usually squash above said odor in fumes or fumes in odor depending on which you detect first. remember that all of the material that you're working with is flammable and should always be considered flammable even with ventilation
"no matter how good looking she is, somebody somewhere is sick of her shit"

"f#ck the G-ride, I want the machines that are making em."

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Sounds like a too hot melt, ie, to close to the tpe, but you can rub some vaseline into the repair site. This should assist in odour mannagement.

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

bootylover24
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by bootylover24 »

Thank you abracadabra. I did use a mask and had good ventilation, and played with baby oil.

Anung, interesting in Vaseline. Do you have some experience with that? I used quick, brush like motions, with the soldering iron. The TPE still had a clean look to it, as well as with wiping the soldering iron. I have no way to control the temperature, but I didn't actually want to melt the TPE.

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

I actually mineral the tip of the iron between passes too, and ensure I get the tip close enough to get a shiney semi moltern surface, without actually touching the tpe.

The oil is just on the tip to avoid it grabbing the tpe in the event I slip.

Vaseline is applied once the tpe has recured. Give it 24 hours or so to soak in, and do not be to heavy handed in the application.

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

CinnamonLover
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by CinnamonLover »

bootylover24 wrote: Regarding your Twi'lek doll...You only need to have doll cast in blue. You can ask manufacturer to do that for you. Then you buy the tentacles from etsy. They are a wig, and head cover. You can have those any color you want. You could ask the makers to do the latex in the color you wan't, or paint them. I think I'm going for tentacles that match the current skin tone of my doll.
Alas. I already have a really nice set of Lekku from Twi'Lek Paradise, but as you pointed out, they're latex. My doll is TPE and my preference is for TPE at this point, so seeing as TPE tends to break latex down, she's not really compatible with the headpiece, though it fits and I have pictures to prove it. Also, I do not like the smell of the latex at all, nor the feel honestly. But the size and shape are perfect.

So I'm looking for a TPE compatible solution.
CinnamonLover. Because I love cinnamon. And Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, and Cloves! Here is our Eye Candy Thread: CinnamonLover's Spice Girls

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Anung Un Rama »

CinnamonLover wrote:
bootylover24 wrote: Regarding your Twi'lek doll...You only need to have doll cast in blue. You can ask manufacturer to do that for you. Then you buy the tentacles from etsy. They are a wig, and head cover. You can have those any color you want. You could ask the makers to do the latex in the color you wan't, or paint them. I think I'm going for tentacles that match the current skin tone of my doll.
Alas. I already have a really nice set of Lekku from Twi'Lek Paradise, but as you pointed out, they're latex. My doll is TPE and my preference is for TPE at this point, so seeing as TPE tends to break latex down, she's not really compatible with the headpiece, though it fits and I have pictures to prove it. Also, I do not like the smell of the latex at all, nor the feel honestly. But the size and shape are perfect.

So I'm looking for a TPE compatible solution.

or CL as discussed a new silicone doll :lol:

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Mini Dolls lots!

INFORMATIONS