betterlovedoll.com

Members Only Forums

Official announcements regarding "The Doll Forum" and "CoverDoll" from site management.
Also post your own announcements.

Member Only Forums should

ALL forums should be members only
10%
SOME forums should be members only (post below)
51%
ALL forums should be visible to members and visitors
40%

Total votes: 63

itsme
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Re: Members Only Forums

Post by itsme »

Bianca wrote:
pulchri-dude wrote:As chat is lately dead...

Chat has been very busy. Mostly late nighters. Some nights running as many as 2 people so I don't ave to talk to myself :)

Seriously though we have been getting from 6 to 12 people in evenings on average. Weekends are busiest.

I think now that people can see who is in chat on every page chat should be doing better.
Maby some people have not notes it yet. (I have to say that was a brilliant idea) :whistle:

At the bottem of the page you will see this
Chatting users: No users currently in chat after the name I would like to see a link to chat there if it can be done.
I thing that would give people a e/z way in when thay see poeople in chat.

cosycottage

Post by cosycottage »

WhatMeWorry wrote:I can think of at least one other forum that can be openly viewed by anyone. May drive people over there. Just saying. OTOH, I can think of another that cannot be viewed without being recommended and accepted. This also has its advantages. Depends on the direction you want this forum to go.
I have to agree.

If I came lurking on here now, and Dolls Alive was blocked, I would definitely end up registering on "the other side".

Open Forum shows that there's more to chatting on here than just our shared interest, but hey <shrug> if you think it's going to stop the hordes of pangry igs at the gates... :|

Is TDF trying to encourage people to be interested in doll ownership, or is this battening down the hatches, simply because out of (a few dozen/hundred) lurkers, every once in a while, a bell-end decides a weekend's fun is to go to the trouble of setting up an account and posting?

That's sort of counterintuitive.

Let's force the timid and unsure people to set up accounts before they can do the window shopping?

I don't see that blocking what you guys consider a "weird" or "contentious" section of this forum (i.e. Dolls Alive) is going to halt that.

But hey, just giving you some feedback. :whistle:
"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

itsme
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by itsme »

cosycottage wrote:
WhatMeWorry wrote:I can think of at least one other forum that can be openly viewed by anyone. May drive people over there. Just saying. OTOH, I can think of another that cannot be viewed without being recommended and accepted. This also has its advantages. Depends on the direction you want this forum to go.
I have to agree.

If I came lurking on here now, and Dolls Alive was blocked, I would definitely end up registering on "the other side".

Open Forum shows that there's more to chatting on here than just our shared interest, but hey <shrug> if you think it's going to stop the hordes of pangry igs at the gates... :|

Is TDF trying to encourage people to be interested in doll ownership, or is this battening down the hatches, simply because out of (a few dozen/hundred) lurkers, every once in a while, a bell-end decides a weekend's fun is to go to the trouble of setting up an account and posting?

That's sort of counterintuitive.

Let's force the timid and unsure people to set up accounts before they can do the window shopping?

I don't see that blocking what you guys consider a "weird" or "contentious" section of this forum (i.e. Dolls Alive) is going to halt that.

But hey, just giving you some feedback. :whistle:

Its inconveniont and can drive people away. But the members that are here will log in and it looks like there are alot of people here
the timer is now set to look like you are loged in for 100 min or so. its back to (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
I would like to see the timer at 15min

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

midiman wrote:
narcissus wrote:It might then be considered a form of parasitism by some Doll Makers/management/staff/members here, then. This does not necessarily mean that other doll manufacturers that don't have accounts/forums here are untrustworthy to deal with though.
Your statement is incorrect. If any parasitism is occurring at TDF it is in fact the other way around. Doll makers who come to TDF just for exposure and sales leads [...] are the parasites
No, no. My statement was correct, because that's what I meant, that those said might consider it a form of parasitism like that.

But this is not to say that any or all manufacturers that don't go through the necessary present screening to get a Doll Maker account/forum, are doing just that. They might not be able to reveal certain information for privacy concerns, and/or may not trust those that they would have to be revealing it to, etc. Seeing how many visits this site gets compared to other doll related forums, if I was a Maker, I'd somehow have it arranged that if I were to reveal the ownership, that it's to be kept as confidential information, maybe write something up officially if it's possible, just so I could get at all the vists TDF already brings in. That's just my take on it. Can something like that be done?

MiniLoveDolls
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Post by MiniLoveDolls »

Hi Narcissus! I don't think many companies will mind sharing their information. Since a business is registered with the state it's all pretty much public domain anyway. I assume that's mostly for consumer protection and so the government knows where to collect their taxes from. ;) Besides, all of the manufacturers here have shared their information without incident so I think it's all on the up and up so to speak. Hope this helps! :)

Mr_Fusion

Bronwen
Ex-Member

Post by Bronwen »

It seems to me (and obviously most others here based on their comments) that the only forum that should be Members Only is Dolls Alive because people feel they are putting personal and intimate information there when discussing doll ownership. It seems especially absurd to make the Dolls in General forum Members Only since that's where you have warnings about companies you DONT want people to buy from AND you have important threads there that I would assume you want most people to have access to. Like this one with all the doll manufacturers' policies for instance: http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... =8&t=28216
AlexKnight wrote:There are two parts called Dolls in General

If you mean this one: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=87

Then it's correct, posting there is not possible.

But on that page, at the top, there's another Dolls in General, which is this one: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

You should be able to post in that area.

If not, please let us know, and we'll look into it.
And why are there 3 Dolls in General forums? I get that there is regular and Japanese, but why two regular?

blindwebster
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by blindwebster »

How does a maker coerce someone to go to another forum? I think it is only natural for one to want to go where they can freely discuss and obtain information on that which they have interest without hassle or roadblocks. They sure as hell are not being forced to go elsewhere against their will, lol.

co·erce (Verb)
1. Persuade (an unwilling person) to do something by using force or threats.

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

Bronwen wrote:It seems especially absurd to make the Dolls in General forum Members Only since that's where you have warnings about companies you DONT want people to buy from AND you have important threads there that I would assume you want most people to have access to.
absurd may be defined as:

1: ridiculously unreasonable, unsound, or incongruous <an absurd argument>
2: having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless <an absurd universe>; also : lacking order or value <an absurd existence>

One could argue that it is not exactly absurd, because here are the reasons for it, that TDF Management gives for Dolls in General, and it deals with what you just said:
c) Dolls in General are low traffic, defunct manufacturers, problem manufacturers or manufacturers who do not wish to participate in TDF's manufacturer verification process. Owing to several problem manufacturers in the last two years and extensive customer/member complaints, a new screening process was implemented last year to insure that those legally accountable for the business are known to TDF in the event any member should enter into a legal dispute.

Only verified manufacturers may hold manufacturer accounts and high visibility at TDF.
Required information to be a TDF verified manufacturer in North America is:
1) Owner contact Information
2) Physical Business Address (P.O. Box is not adequate to serve legal documents)
3) A listed business phone number
4) A business website stating ordering terms, accepted modes of payment and delivery time frames

In addition, to the above:
a) No owner or employee of the manufacturer can hold a TDF staff position
b) All TDF members affiliated with the company must disclose this if posting at TDF. This is to prevent affiliates from pushing and building hype on their own product while appearing at arms length from the business.

To date all manufacturers and/or product that have been verified or passed the test of time are in this group which is visible to all visitors:

Love Dolls & Active Doll Manufacturers (CLICK HERE)[http://dollforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=68]

TDF Management

happiness
Ex-Member

Post by happiness »

I voted for having all forums open to visitors. I lurked for months before I became a member and a doll owner. What are we afraid of? We can't both want public acceptance and run away from it.

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

Bronwen wrote:And why are there 3 Dolls in General forums? I get that there is regular and Japanese, but why two regular?
The first one is not exactly a forum, it's a sub-section for the entire Dolls in General group, just like the "High End Love Dolls - American" section is a sub-section for the American high end dolls.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

WhatMeWorry, I can think of one other forum that has a 'Members only section" and you also have to be logged in to see any attachments which means many photos are not visible if you are not logged in!!!!!!. TDF also has twice as many forums as any other and still out numbers all the other forums for forums visible without needing to register.
cosycottage wrote:If I came lurking on here now, and Dolls Alive was blocked, I would definitely end up registering on "the other side".
Also, Cosycottage, your statement makes no sense. You state if you came lurking at TDF and saw Dolls alive as members only you would end up registering at the other forum? If you were planing on registering instead of lurking you would have full access to everything at TDF. Am I missing something here?

Also there is no "Dolls Alive" at the 'other' forum that I know of, so I am not sure what your would "be registering at that other forum to see :roll: "

TDF has over 50% wanting some forums members only but TDF has set only a handful to members only. The Open forum has been the cause of the most trouble, hard feelings and disruption at TDF of any forum here. Some member shave been requesting its removal.

Based on statistics, MOST people who see a members only forum will register if they want to see it - especially if membership is free. Also lurkers are the last ones that would be interested in Dolls Alive which is more hard core doll owners. The majority of people posting there, polled they wanted it members only. TDF's traffic is up so I don't think the members only status is driving anyone away. Most 'lurkers' come here to look at dolls and the greater majority of them came here from a Realdoll or love doll search. To that extent they have mostly all the key players and product.

These changes will be in effect for at least 6 months to evaluate after which time management may make additional changes or reversals based on the stats and member posts. Dedicated TDF members who are regularly posting here will be weighted more heavily over casual members who tend to frequent other forums more. Management's policy is to place TDF's strongest supporters first when making decisions that affects them.
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

cosycottage

Post by cosycottage »

midiman wrote:
cosycottage wrote:If I came lurking on here now, and Dolls Alive was blocked, I would definitely end up registering on "the other side".
Also, Cosycottage, your statement makes no sense. You state if you came lurking at TDF and saw Dolls alive as members only you would end up registering at the other forum? If you were planing on registering instead of lurking you would have full access to everything at TDF. Am I missing something here?

Also there is no "Dolls Alive" at the 'other' forum that I know of, so I am not sure what your would "be registering at that other forum to see :roll: "
You're absolutely right. I would have simply not registered on here and thus ended up not buying a doll.

Like most people, I don't sign up and register willy-nilly for forums I have no idea whether or not I'm interested in cos some of the areas are blocked. IMO TDF is neither "forcing" lurkers to join, nor repelling the weekend trollers, who are going to sign up in order to have a good old delve anyway.

IMHO

HTH :)
"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Doll Knight XIX
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Formerly known as TG megami - The Frozen North, USA

Post by Doll Knight XIX »

I don't even see why this is an issue. Membership is free. You just need to make five posts. Shoop-da-whoop. At least you don't have to pay a monthly fee *cough*DeviantArt*cough* to have a fun and functional website. This place is the best doll forum, in my opinion, and if someone doesn't want to be a member here, then that's their loss.

If, say, Dolls Alive is a forum someone wants to participate in, then join, already! What do you have to lose? I'll tell you what you lose if you don't register. Fun. And lots of it. Sure, fun is on 'the other forums', too, but not the TDF brand of fun.

For Doll's sake, I've been here just around 2 weeks now and have put in over 100 posts. I'm never, ever this active on any other forum. Ever. I am a 'member' (the membership system is kinda unofficial) of some backwater 'hidden' social forum on Game FAQs .com and I'm not even as active there as I am here, and I've been on there since 2009.

But I digress...

What's the big deal if some forums here are members only? If anything, that should give impetus for people to register, which, again, is totally free.

A forum isn't a commitment. There is no posting quota. There are no time expectations. You can be as bloody active or inactive as you like. So, I don't understand why people complain. The doll-owning community is an easy target for trolls, and I for one don't want trolls being drawn here. If the membership criterion were less restrictive, this place would be Trollsville.

In closing, there are websites that are even more restrictive about membership. Pink Essence, a transgendered website, requires a load of information and a picture before you can even access the forum to read. So, people, stop complaining and register here, already...

*Passes out and falls off of soap box due to oxygen deprivation*

Edit:
Oh, and if people think the moderators here are bad (I don't), then check this link out:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=2579358

Game FAQs is the other site I pretty much live on. The moderators there are known to be among the worst on the internet. What other website has two pages and fourteen entries dedicated to the 'quality' of their moderators?

/rant
We will start anew, on here, soon. We can't wait!

cosycottage

Post by cosycottage »

<drags Megami into oxygen tent before zipping up hazchem suit and returning to the foray>

You have valid points and I look forward to seeing what the results of this experiment are.

I stand my my own opinion.

In theory it would be great if "signing up" for doll forums was like clicking on a two-for-one pizza deal.

Back in the real world, it's a big step for a whole chunk of the public to go online and register, especially at a "fringe interest", and moreover if people are worried they might start getting emails, embedded cookies etc on what might be a family computer.

The Doll Forum, and other sites you can't type on here for some childish reason, are the shop window for Doll Ownership as well as good links and info for Manufacturers.

Apparently I'm the "hardcore" weird one on here for preferring to dress and play and interact with Kiko rather than only have sex with her and then hang her on a hook and lock her in my wardrobe/coffin/delete as appropriate, which is far more acceptable to have in the 'shop window'.

So yeah, maybe I'm just sore because apparently the 'acceptable face of doll ownership' is more about discussions of lubes and inserts. :?

Fuzzy78
Former Member

Post by Fuzzy78 »

ill be ho nest i think making forums members only is stupid and will do more harm than good imho

INFORMATIONS