Starpery.com

POSABLE JAW for silicone doll head - instruction video (DIY)

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

POSABLE JAW for silicone doll head - instruction video (DIY)

Post by Koen »

What the hell is this ScoonimDoll guy doing with a big doll, you might wonder... :roll:

Well, as it so happens, I recently have been requested to take Penny, a lovely looking DS 158 Plus under my care.
But poor Penny had been designed with her mouth open, which made normal conversating with her almost impossible, so I was instructed by Stellai* to instantly do something about that.
Because the procedure is not too much difficult I have put it on video as an instruction for you guys to do it yourself. :D :thumbs_up:

*Surely you know who Stellai is....
If not, then it really is about time you take a look at CoverDoll, our forum’s magnificent e-zine !! 8)

Koen
Creator of ScoonimDolls

N.B.
My guess is that this instruction will apply to all type of solid/seamless silicone doll heads with open mouth which have no jaw installed.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: POSABLE JAW for silicone doll head - instruction video (

Post by rubherkitty »

Hello Koen
The project worked out great!
Thanks for taking the time to make the DIY video. :glou:
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

manobon
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by manobon »

This was very interesting! I wonder if that's similar to what Sanhui has been doing for their recent 'movable jaw' heads

Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

Post by Koen »

rubherkitty wrote:Hello Koen
The project worked out great!
Thanks for taking the time to make the DIY video. :glou:
Hi Rubherkitty,

Thank you for your comment :D
Making the video was by far the most work, when compared to the installing of the posable jaw. As I suspected upfront this turned out to be really as simple as it looks like in the video. The only thing that is bothering me now is the fact that you cannot pose the mouth corners with this system, but that is just because I am spoiled by having ScoonimDolls. :mrgreen:

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

I have thought about making a full scale doll head with a spring closure jaw bone. The head would be modeled and cast with the mouth 65% open. Then when the spring assembly was installed, it would close the mouth. This way if a person wanted oral sex, there would be less stress on the mouth when fully opened.

Your wire idea may just work as well or better as it is more adjustable.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

Post by Koen »

manobon wrote:This was very interesting! I wonder if that's similar to what Sanhui has been doing for their recent 'movable jaw' heads
Hi manobon,
Thank you for your comment and pointing me to Sanhui. I have checked their website and from what I can tell, it is not the same. The jaw they have installed seems to be connected to a skull, as the posing is much more direct in response than the wire system I have installed. Their system is preferable for posing the jaw for photographic purpose, whereas my system (even though this was unintentional) will most likely be preferable for oral sex use, because for the posing of the wire you first need to overcome the softness/flexibility of the silicone, meaning that in order to pose the jaw in my system you need to close or open the mouth further than the final result will be. However..... for oral sex this means that my system will better adapt when a certain bodypart is inserted. :whistle: :lol:

Koen
Creator of ScoonimDolls

Co-author of the book Rosaleintje

Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

Post by Koen »

rubherkitty wrote:I have thought about making a full scale doll head with a spring closure jaw bone. The head would be modeled and cast with the mouth 65% open. Then when the spring assembly was installed, it would close the mouth. This way if a person wanted oral sex, there would be less stress on the mouth when fully opened.

Your wire idea may just work as well or better as it is more adjustable.
Hi rubherkitty,
My system will indeed most likely be more adjustable, but it is still quite adaptable, as the jaw wires are 'floating' in the silicone and not connected to a base (skull).

Koen

P.S.
I think you may like to read my comment to manobon here above as well :idea: .

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

A possible idea is to cast the silicone around a plastic chin bone and wires that attach to a plastic skull.
This would anchor the open ends of the wires making their adjustment easier.

I assume the DS head has some type of foam core? Sounded like the wires were pushing into foam vs solid silicone.

Read all the above, thanks! :wink:

Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

Post by Koen »

rubherkitty wrote:A possible idea is to cast the silicone around a plastic chin bone and wires that attach to a plastic skull.
This would anchor the open ends of the wires making their adjustment easier.

I assume the DS head has some type of foam core? Sounded like the wires were pushing into foam vs solid silicone.

Read all the above, thanks! :wink:
I do not quite follow you. I did not have to cast silicone in my solution and there also is no need for a plastic chin bone in this. So to which are you referring? The making of a posable head, or an alternative idea to install a posable jaw in an existing head?

As for the DS head, indeed it has a foam core, but the wires were pushed in the silicone aside it, not straight into the core. This was mainly done because I was not certain about the hardness and strength of the core.

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

Koen - you are genius! It's great to see Penny coming to life . . . as well as being able to stop talking incessantly.

Best wishes

Harem
Latest reviews coming for Irontech and FJ doll silicone ladies.

Chloé's book
is available from The-Doll-House
- - - -
Here's Coverdoll Yolanda
- - - -
Reviews for:
-DS-OR-JY-SY-Jarliet-Vivid-SM-SE-ZOne-JM-Sino-Sanhui-Pipedream--XY-WM-Elsa Babe-SM Silicone Siliko-XYcolo-Starpery-Elsa Babe-FutureDoll-Zelex-Irontech-FJ Doll
- - - -
YouTube Doll Review Channel
-https://www.youtube.com/@sexdoll-reviews-

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

I was talking about manufacturing a new head. A flat plate chin bone, wires and wire holders on the skull could all be installed from the start.
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (54.18 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
I had in mind to make a head with a chin bone and hinged jaw that was spring operated. Casting the head with mouth open then installing the springs through the plate at base of skull or access through back of head. This plan is more complex, but a springless hinged jaw would be of need for animatronics in the future.

But a adjustable jaw/mouth via wires would serve quite well for non animatronic use.

Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

Re: POSABLE JAW for silicone doll head - instruction video

Post by Koen »

haremlover wrote:Koen - you are genius! It's great to see Penny coming to life . . . as well as being able to stop talking incessantly.

Best wishes

Harem
I have to admit that it was your photoseries of Dr Penny that has put me on this track, Harem :idea: . And knowing the extent of the doll community living at your place, I think this invention will be most useful for you :lol:

Groet, Koen

Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

Re: POSABLE JAW for silicone doll head - instruction video

Post by Koen »

rubherkitty wrote:I was talking about manufacturing a new head. A flat plate chin bone, wires and wire holders on the skull could all be installed from the start.
IMAG0001.JPG
I had in mind to make a head with a chin bone and hinged jaw that was spring operated. Casting the head with mouth open then installing the springs through the plate at base of skull or access through back of head. This plan is more complex, but a springless hinged jaw would be of need for animatronics in the future.

But a adjustable jaw/mouth via wires would serve quite well for non animatronic use.
Thank you rubherkitty, I understand now that you were referring to the making of a new head. As you surely heard in my video, this is going to be my next project.
It may interest you to know that the design of the jaw in your sketch is somewhat similar to the one I use for ScoonimDolls. They also have wireframe jaws, because the posing of the jaw is not only up-down, but also left-right and front-back movement. For making face expressions this can be important sometimes. Within the size of a ScoonimDoll head there is no space for a hingebased system to make this extent in posing, so it has to be wireframe. In the new-to-make posable big head however, I will investigate to use a hingebased system ( double ball joints), because this is more durable than wireframe.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Ball joints are good, but off the shelf joints generally have no adjustable tension and just allow free rotation.
Someday I'll play around with designing a ball joint that has a adjustable tension system. Maybe a flat spring w/a set screw that applied tension on the ball?
Or the ball in a tube w/a coil spring and tension bolt to compress the spring?

Koen
Doll Artist
Doll Artist

Post by Koen »

rubherkitty wrote:Ball joints are good, but off the shelf joints generally have no adjustable tension and just allow free rotation.
Someday I'll play around with designing a ball joint that has a adjustable tension system. Maybe a flat spring w/a set screw that applied tension on the ball?
Or the ball in a tube w/a coil spring and tension bolt to compress the spring?
Well,... as you might have guessed, for ScoonimDolls I have already given this a lot of thought in the past and I have made dozens of models that failed until I reached the level of understanding that was needed to design a ball joint system that was durable, flexible, adjustable, compact and strong. Nowadays the shoulders and necks of my ScoonimDolls are equipped with my home made adjustable ball joints. Obviously I have to make these myself, as off the shelf ball joints till now have proven to be completely useless for my purposes.

As for using springs in ball joints... in my experience adding springs has had little to no positive effect. It makes the design needlesly complex and bulky and the tension needed to make a ball joint stiff posable requires an extremely heavy duty spring. Far better is it to design the ball joint in such a way that the tension bolt of the ball joint is accessible and can be adjusted at all time.

INFORMATIONS