Starpery.com

Help! How to remove color dye from clothing on tpe doll

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
jackwoody22
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Help! How to remove color dye from clothing on tpe doll

Post by jackwoody22 »

BigJoeBuck wrote:acne cream 5% or 10% benzol whatever will work just appy and rub all over stain and let dry and wash off with water/mild soap and repeat until stain is gone, leave the cream on for 12 hours or so before removing, test in a small area first but this should work well ive removed deep black stains with this method
Keep seeing this but didn't work at all for me. I put on with Saran Wrap overtop for 24 hours; no improvement. /shrug

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Yeah, not all blends of TPE are the same
Hopefully the natural absorbing characteristic of TPE will get rid of the staining, eventually :)

BigJoeBuck
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BigJoeBuck »

jackwoody22 wrote:
BigJoeBuck wrote:acne cream 5% or 10% benzol whatever will work just appy and rub all over stain and let dry and wash off with water/mild soap and repeat until stain is gone, leave the cream on for 12 hours or so before removing, test in a small area first but this should work well ive removed deep black stains with this method
Keep seeing this but didn't work at all for me. I put on with Saran Wrap overtop for 24 hours; no improvement. /shrug
you may have to apply 4 or 5 times or more but im convinced this will work as ive seen some really bad stains fixed 100%
"love is the only engine of survival"-Leonard Cohen

"all those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain"-roy batty

there are only three kinds of people those who make things happen those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened

BrnH
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by BrnH »

Hey BigJoeBuck,

Of course it is very good to hear about your good experiences, thank you for sharing!

I have a background in chemistry and I'm interested to figure out if there is a specific active ingredient in the acne cream or the benzol you mention. May be this can point to a specific substance that can help us all.

Benzol can have multiple meanings, do you e.g. mean benzene or phenol or even another product?

What are brand and type of the acne cream you have had positive experiences with?

Do you have any positive experiences with tooth paste or other products?

Thanks in advance!

BigJoeBuck
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BigJoeBuck »

BrnH wrote:Hey BigJoeBuck,

Of course it is very good to hear about your good experiences, thank you for sharing!

I have a background in chemistry and I'm interested to figure out if there is a specific active ingredient in the acne cream or the benzol you mention. May be this can point to a specific substance that can help us all.

Benzol can have multiple meanings, do you e.g. mean benzene or phenol or even another product?

What are brand and type of the acne cream you have had positive experiences with?

Do you have any positive experiences with tooth paste or other products?

Thanks in advance!
Benzoyl peroxide 10% but ive used the 5% and gotten the same result with a few more applications (for a tpe doll) brand was no name brand shoppers drug mart

there are only three kinds of people those who make things happen those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened

BrnH
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by BrnH »

Thank you BigJoeBuck. Benzoyl peroxide is one of the organic peroxides, in acne cream it is highly diluted as you also mention. It's working mechanism is the same as of hydrogen peroxide, it produces oxygen radicals that attack colorant molecules thereby leaving them colorless. It can react quickly, as it is known to bleach clothing on the spot if spoiled on it.

On Celesdolls I found info about benzoyl peroxide, fully in line with your advice https://celesdolls.com/how-to-clean-and ... oll-guide/
They warn however that benzoyl peroxide (and related substances) had adverse effects on the TPE of SM dolls.

On ScienceDirect I found an article that describes how peroxides change TPE structure. Key point is that over time or on prolonged use it reduces the softness and elasticity of TPE. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1818315381

This has been picked up elsewhere on TDF by Indigo20: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&start=30 He makes a relevant point about risk. The point is that benzoyl peroxide consists of two benzene rings connected to each other with a peroxide bridge. That bridge snaps while it oxidizes stuff like colorants. But the two benzene rings (in the form of phenol) are the remnants of this reaction and they remain in the TPE of your doll. Phenol is a toxic chemical, known to reduce fertility. It can chemically alter into benzene, a powerful carcinogen.

In short there are 2 main drawbacks on the use of benzoyl peroxide as stain remover: 1. over time reducing TPE elasticity and 2. leaving potentially harmful reaction products behind in the TPE.

As concentrations of use are low the resulting drawbacks are also of lesser strength. It is good to realize what we are doing when using benzoyl peroxide. I would not recommend strictly against it as there is a serious lack of alternatives. However benzoyl peroxide should be only used as second option when products like Nivea, Vaseline or mineral oil have failed.

By highlighing the pro's and con's of benzoyl peroxide used as stain remover I hope to have attributed to the responsible use of it.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

BrnH
Another gem of accurate information :)

Usually owners only stain their dolls once, ever :whistle:

BigJoeBuck
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BigJoeBuck »

seagull wrote:BrnH
Another gem of accurate information :)

Usually owners only stain their dolls once, ever :whistle:

ive only had this issue once with my newest luvli

INFORMATIONS