Starpery.com

Doll Maintenance and Safety

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
rjs
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Doll Maintenance and Safety

Post by rjs »

Hey guys. When it comes to taking care of the doll, I read that it is recommended to use baby oil. Are we supposed to put this on the face as well? I believe baby oil is just scented mineral oil. **REMOVED** It absorbs and vanishes shortly if we rub it in our hands and such, but is it safe to put this all over the doll and its face without getting sick when you want to kiss your doll or if you are close to it and breathing? I'm new to the doll world, and maybe I'm just super paranoid, lol.

Also, baby oil stinks! I really don't like the smell of it. Can we just use Vaseline or some kind of body lotion like Olay to keep the doll hydrated? Is there any alternatives to baby oil? It is recommended that we hydrate it once a month, but would every two months be fine?

When applying makeup, it was recommended to use matte based makeup. How about the eyebrows? Would any brow pencil work? Do any of you have any brand names and products that you can recommend for both the makeup and brows?
Last edited by Arthur1960 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 10, no unsupported claims

goodcatch

Re: Doll Maintenance and Safety

Post by goodcatch »

Johnson's baby oil is what I use, and so far it's been good for the TPE. Haven't had any issues with odor from baby oil.

Frequency of oil usage can depend on what kind of climate you're in. I live in a dry climate so once a month seems to be fine.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Vaseline works much the same as mineral oil, just takes longer to be absorbed
It is recommended that it be used only on thin sections that are showing signs of stress i.e. cracking around finger areas
The head is usually not subject to stress unless you are into serious oral activity
The head is not a solid lump but more of a skin molded around a fiberglass skull and IMO not to be oiled but a gentle clean with neutral ph soap :)

There have been posts from other owners with a similar dislike of baby oil smell and similarly baby powder does not appeal to everyone

Pretty confident they will add to this thread :thumbs_up:

rjs
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by rjs »

Thanks guys. Is there any soap products that you would recommend for cleaning it with including inside her? When cleaning inside of her, how much should I mix into the water when flushing out with the irrigator?

INFORMATIONS