Starpery.com

My TPE doll has a lot of built-up baby powder, help?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
rsx
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

My TPE doll has a lot of built-up baby powder, help?

Post by rsx »

Turns out I've been cleaning my doll wrong. Every time I clean it before the oil/vaseline bath every two months, haven't been cleaning it enough. There's a lot of leftover residue from the past six months or so. A lot of dryness. Normally what I did was just a sponge with hand soap and water in a large pot.

So what do I do? I assume it'll have to be showered, which I've never done..What should I use, hand soap, shampoo? Probably take more than one to get everything out.

Example of an arm is attached.
Attachments
SAM_3446.JPG
SAM_3446.JPG (989.93 KiB) Viewed 896 times
SAM_3445.JPG
SAM_3445.JPG (939.19 KiB) Viewed 896 times

Dollfriend
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: TPE Land, just a few miles east of Silicone Valley...

Re: My TPE doll has a lot of built-up baby powder, help?

Post by Dollfriend »

I have never really understood the need to oil and Vaseline a TPE doll on a routine basis, TPE is oily enough, I have had TPE dolls that have lasted years with very minimal or no oiling at all, I can see using oils and Vaseline on high traffic areas or spots that seem to be drying out, but even this would be a rare instance.
:painting:

rsx
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by rsx »

It's every couple of months. I'll be more discretionary in the future, it's not a fun chore. I have three dolls, so yeah, best avoided when possible.

Here's what I have: A few brands of hand soap, a bottle of cheap shampoo, some herbal essences shampoo, dawn ultra dish detergent, olive oil, a few brands of decent body wash, a big blue jar of nivea (god knows where it came from), and a few type of acne creams (off topic, but the benzyl peroxide trick took care of a stain a while back).

Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by 32123 »

Dollfriend wrote:I have never really understood the need to oil and Vaseline a TPE doll on a routine basis
Seems to be common practice because the stickied post in Repair & Maintenance says to do it monthly. Same in the Newly Wed Guide that's often linked/cited. Both those posts are from 2017 and from what I've read in more recent posts is that newer dolls may be a lower maintenance TPE that requires less frequent oiling (I've seen one person claim annually is enough for their doll). Also seems to be out of an abundance of caution because it's hard to harm the TPE with too much oil but if it dries out that gets real bad real quick.

As for OP's question: It's really hard to see what's going on in those pictures... unless the skin tone wasn't originally white?
Try a dish soap (Dawn is often recommended) and get the talcum build up really wet/soaked. Probably don't have to go full shower, use a wet towel compress on the affected area. Be gentle, don't scrub too hard- you don't want to scratch the TPE; maybe better to massage it out by hand if the build up is really stubborn.
DH168 146cm C
WM 140cm A

Fr0stByte
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Fr0stByte »

Ya those guides should be updated or modified as I believe the newer TPE doesn't require the oil baths as much as they did prior.

I usually sit mine in a bath tub on a small stool if I'm going to full out bath them. Or on a towel and spray bottle with diluted dawn dish soap and water for light cleanings.
Ladies:
Kitty - PipeDream Ultimate Fantasy Dolls
Wynter - WM166CM + 277 Head
Kizuna - Smart Doll - Her Thread: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&t=121837
Haruka - Smart Doll
Nao - DollHouse 168 - 80cm Elf - Her Thread: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 3&t=129287
Haruko - Elsa Babe - 102cm LB

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

rsx wrote:It's every couple of months. I'll be more discretionary in the future, it's not a fun chore. I have three dolls, so yeah, best avoided when possible.

Here's what I have: A few brands of hand soap, a bottle of cheap shampoo, some herbal essences shampoo, dawn ultra dish detergent, olive oil, a few brands of decent body wash, a big blue jar of nivea (god knows where it came from), and a few type of acne creams (off topic, but the benzyl peroxide trick took care of a stain a while back).
Well, I hope your haven't been oiling your doll with olive oil. That's just asking for mold growth! 8O

Baby oil or straight mineral oil is all you need every 3 months or so. For cleaning I just use regular strength dawn. About a teaspoon in a couple quarts of warm water. If you use the Ultra or Platinum Dawn a couple drops is all you need.

As to the build up, a baby oil clean will sort that out. To do that, work the buildup loose with baby oil on a paper towel. Before the oil can soak in, wipe it and the buildup off with a clean paper towel. Takes a while, just keep repeating the process working your way down. When you're through, wash, dry and lightly dust with cornstarch.

ariel_lover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ariel_lover »

Fr0stByte wrote:I usually sit mine in a bath tub on a small stool if I'm going to full out bath them.
Yup. I use a handheld shower head with the faucet(s) barely opened to create a very gentle low pressure spray to rinse off the soap.

rsx wrote:Here's what I have: A few brands of hand soap, a bottle of cheap shampoo, some herbal essences shampoo, dawn ultra dish detergent, olive oil, a few brands of decent body wash, a big blue jar of nivea ...
Any cream body wash works nicely for regular cleanings. If you have over-oiled your girl, Dawn dish soap is good for getting out the grime. Lather it on her body with your hands (makes for a fun "chore"), or you can use a soft sponge or microfiber cloth to very gently soap her up. Then rinse her off. Lather, rinse, repeat until she is clean ... or you stop having fun. Gently pat her dry with a soft towel, let her air dry for a couple of hours, then reapply powder to make her skin feel smooth. Don't re-oil.

Whatever you do, don't use olive oil. It can turn rancid.

rsx
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by rsx »

Mr Franz wrote: Well, I hope your haven't been oiling your doll with olive oil. That's just asking for mold growth! 8O
Absolutely not. The only oil that's ever touched them is mineral. They rest in a dark place away from any dust and they're cleaned/dried inside after every use. Sometimes with a small air pump for a couple of hours if I'm not happy with how well the tampons worked. I tried to search around before asking and this guy is the one who mentioned olive oil:

viewtopic.php?f=267&t=72766
Booty Call Dolls wrote:Meso,
It can be a very slow process, but virgin olive oil can clean TPE very well. When I use to sell pre-owned dolls, i use to bath them and wash with dish soap and still you could see the dirt, but VOO got it off. I learned about using it to take off make up from my best friend Amytl
I am a strong believer in body stockings because a BS makes dressing a doll easier, keeps off dust, and reduces odds of abrasions.
Not only am I the president of BCD, I am also a client
Jeff
Not sure if Mr Booty Call Dolls is a legitimate source. Even though he has 30,000 posts, I was still inherently suspicious. (Removing makeup? Even I know that mineral oil will make short work of it.)

Ok, so Dawn it is. I assume a douche with liquid hand soap is still the best for the inside parts during regular cleaning.

One more question: After the mineral oil (I usually let it for >/= 12 hours) and petroleum in the important areas (24+ hours), how will I know when it's dry enough and safe to apply powder? It's really sticky. Do I need to wait some more? It's another concern that powder could be trapped in that way, too.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Jeff's a good guy. He's not talking about oiling with olive oil, but rather cleaning with it. In that instance you're not letting it absorb, but loosening buildup and wiping it right back off. I prefer to do that with baby oil myself. No risk of mineral oil going rancid if you happen to miss some wiping it off.

When I do an oil rub I only use enough to wet the surface than let it absorb overnight. Really though, as soon as the TPE no longer looks wet and is just tacky, you're ready for powder.

Funny thing I noticed with my doll; once a year or so I'll do an oil cleaning followed by a regular wash and powder. Well, the next time I do a regular wash, she really doesn't need to be powdered. I didn't even realize I hadn't powdered her yet the first time I did it that way.

Oil cleaning is just any extra thing I do to remove any buildup. My normal routine is to wash, dry and powder as needed, then every 3 months or so, wash, dry, oil rub and powder.

rsx
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by rsx »

Back with an update. It was cleaned with dawn ultra, twice, and the whole body was oiled with petroleum (then left for a couple of days) to remove any possibility that it could have been either. As suspected: It still appears worn with deterioration, these pictures are after being powdered and dusted off normally.

Is there any fix, or should I just call it quits?
Attachments
SAM_3458.JPG
SAM_3458.JPG (951.88 KiB) Viewed 764 times
SAM_3457.JPG
SAM_3457.JPG (932.06 KiB) Viewed 764 times
SAM_3456.JPG
SAM_3456.JPG (941.96 KiB) Viewed 764 times
SAM_3455.JPG
SAM_3455.JPG (967.66 KiB) Viewed 764 times
SAM_3454.JPG
SAM_3454.JPG (959.51 KiB) Viewed 764 times
SAM_3453.JPG
SAM_3453.JPG (1014.74 KiB) Viewed 764 times
SAM_3452.JPG
SAM_3452.JPG (952.51 KiB) Viewed 764 times
SAM_3451.JPG
SAM_3451.JPG (916.19 KiB) Viewed 764 times

YungSynth
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by YungSynth »

I oil once every six months give or take. Sometime I spot-clean with the oil, take a dab on your finger and put it on the dirt, then press and drag your finger across it and it lifts the dirt out.. I think you can also use the edge of a credit card but that might scratch her. I've seen powder build up like that, but it's always gone away on its own. Just quit powdering her for a week or so

That looks a bit like abrasion damage on her buttcrack though :?

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Looks like way too much powder, IMO. I just put cornstarch in an old sock and dab lightly one section at a time, then smooth out evenly with a large makeup brush. Any streaks I wipe away with a barely damp cloth.

rsx
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by rsx »

Mr Franz wrote:Looks like way too much powder, IMO. I just put cornstarch in an old sock and dab lightly one section at a time, then smooth out evenly with a large makeup brush. Any streaks I wipe away with a barely damp cloth.

Tried that. I tried a lot of things, not enough powder is too sticky. It's being trapped in the areas where the TPE has degraded. There are some parts of her body in terrific shape, but most of it is not. On the good parts, the powder just brushes right off. And the other doll I bought at the same time (from a different seller) is nowhere near as bad. In fact, it still looks like new and I spent about as much with it as this one.

For anybody wondering: Brand name was Missse, bought it from Taqu Trading Company. They also carry Hanidoll. I bought it from their Aliexpress storefront, seemed legit. Open five years, business license. Their customer service was horrible, in hindsight I guess I should have kept looking. But that was my first doll. Oh well, live and learn :roll:

It's been sliced up into pieces with the skeleton disposed of and a whole lot of chunks leftover. No idea what to do with them..Sell? Recycle? I refuse to throw them away, it's too wasteful.
Mr Franz wrote: Funny thing I noticed with my doll; once a year or so I'll do an oil cleaning followed by a regular wash and powder. Well, the next time I do a regular wash, she really doesn't need to be powdered. I didn't even realize I hadn't powdered her yet the first time I did it that way.
Wish I could, but no powder = sticky.

Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by 32123 »

rsx wrote:There are some parts of her body in terrific shape, but most of it is not. On the good parts, the powder just brushes right off.
no powder = sticky.
Sounds like the worn out (sticky) parts have lost their hardened outer layer. I'm curious if it's possible to heat treat those to re-solidify them. Or make some TPE paste and paint it over those spots for a fresh surface.
sliced up into pieces ... whole lot of chunks leftover. No idea what to do with them..Sell? Recycle?
Here's a recent thread from someone who did the same. Some ideas for what to do with it.

Look up the instructions for making TPE repair glue/paste with the old chunks. I've seen it before on the forum but couldn't find it quickly; I know it involves using pieces of TPE and some other ingredients.
DH168 146cm C
WM 140cm A

INFORMATIONS