Starpery.com

Wig buyers guide

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
elarring

Wig buyers guide

Post by elarring »

I think we need a Wig buyer's guide. I've bought a lot of wigs, and they are all usually good, but may not fit the dolls well.

Each doll brand is different, but the ones I've owned, AS and WM, have small heads. And, if you have a small doll or one with a fantasy elf head, it's just a bit smaller. So, I'm going to list some wigs I've had success with and my favorites so far. But, i thought we could list and share the wigs we found that were quality and fit well.

The smallest best wig i found was on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z0 ... UTF8&psc=1
The quality of this wig is really amazing. And the one i bought was slightly curlier than this. It's a child's wig, which I am often reluctant to buy, fear of Halloween store costume wig quality.
This Annabelle costume wig also fits small heads well, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HV ... UTF8&psc=1. I bought a few of these, because I like to take the pig tails out and let the hair flow and style it differently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AY ... UTF8&psc=1 If you like pixie hair cut, this wig works great for standard doll heads. It's also real human hair.

On Amazon and off there is a wig brand that I like, Kalyss. The quality is really good. They're made for human heads and doll heads, are just a bit smaller. They still fit well, and look good on dolls. But the fit isn't perfect on some of the styles.

For synthetic wigs, I often clean/scent them, using the scented liquid fabric softner dip, to make it smell nice. (I googled Youtube for a wig treatment guide, a while ago) And i take liquid fabric softner, mix in with water, in a bowl, clean tub or sink and dip the wigs in, sometimes soak. I suggest you google and find a couple of videos before trying to do this yourself.

Trigger D

Re: Wig buyers guide

Post by Trigger D »

I totally agree with doll's heads being smaller than human heads.

The factory wigs supplied with the dolls are not that great to be brutally honest. They are almost impossible to style, shed lots of fibers and then go bald quite easily. They are a nice, snug fit though.

Jenna's wig for example is a synthetic, front lace and is way too big for her head but it is decent quality, sheds very few fibers and is fairly easily styled into ponytails, buns and braids etc. I had to tie the elastic adjusting straps together to create enough tension on her head and still had to use Got 2 Be Glued by Schwartzkopff to glue it on with.

It's about 2 years old and gets brushed and styled daily. About once or twice per month it gets washed with ordinary shampoo such as Elvive or Pantene Pro V, then has an application of John Frida Frizz Ease and then blow dried. I use hair straighteners about twice a week, too. After 2 years of all this Jenna's wig is still in great condition and looks, smells and feels amazing.

Just for the info, it's a generic, unbranded wig from Ebay that cost about £20 at time of purchase.
Consistency is key

When one opportunity slams shut in your face another opens wide

My lovely ladies:
Jenna - WM 160cm D cup Head 241
Her younger sister, Natasha - WM 166cm C cup head 242
Her older sister, Sarah - WM 166cm C cup head 273
Nicola - WM 172cm B cup head 405
Jessica -WM 163cm C cup head 253
Scarlett - WM 162cm B cup head 227
Chelsea - WM 172cm D cup head 266
Megan - WM 164cm D cup head 47
Naomi - WM 162cm E cup head 273
Alicia - WM 168cm E cup head 233

Baz_xx

Post by Baz_xx »

A wig buyers guide is a great idea, Im shopping for wigs atm actually.
I have a WM doll, and struggle fitting some wigs tightly. anyone know the head circumference of wm head?
I dont have a measuring tape right now, cheers

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

That's just it, doll heads do tend to run small, but actual circumference varies. Best to just measure the one you have and go from there.

elarring

Post by elarring »

Mr Franz wrote:That's just it, doll heads do tend to run small, but actual circumference varies. Best to just measure the one you have and go from there.
I have two heads for the same doll and even those two heads have two different circumference.

FCD94
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by FCD94 »

Here:

Basic wig purchase/wig care guide

Basic doll movement guide

Results of methods described shown through whole thread. More results seen here.

nooneknows

Post by nooneknows »

Beginner's Guide to Wigs and Wig Care

viewtopic.php?f=221&t=128624
BCD's Newly Wed Guide
Indigo20's TPE care
hansdampf21 TPE care
Do you need oil?
The Doll Guide - (Under Construction)

Nyoko - Elsa 165 XXL
(Ordered Oct. 21 2020 - Delivered Jan. 21 2021)
"I see a pair of thick weighty breasts and all logic flies out the window."

INFORMATIONS